Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Enjoying the last bit of summer

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM
  • 18 Replies

Don't know about you other moms but school where I live starts back up in August and even though we home school we do tend to stick very close to the actual school calandar.

How about everyone else?  Do you stick close to the school calandar?  Do you home school year round?

by on Jul. 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Year round and we start tomorrow. We have been planning all month.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

We actually start about a week before the local schools. We'll start around August 11th (the schools here start, I believe, around the third week in August?).

We're doing light school year 'round though. This is a "learning to read and write" summer for my kindergartner (with a goal of being able to "read" by fall). DD12 is deschooling for the summer after her chaotic year in private school last year.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2014 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been slacking this summer. I'm usually more on the ball than this :S We start whenever really, but I like to start around the same time the PS schools do. I don't think that's going to be how it is this year since we're going to be gone all of August. We'll probably take a week to decompress in September, and then start. Not sure yet though. Then October becomes chaotic again. 
I really need to start planning though. Maybe after swim team divisionals? ...or maybe I'll just bring the stuff to the pool with me and do it there while practice is going on.... Hopefully nothing gets wet :/  

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
We are casual, lazy, unstructured. Whatever you want to call us. We pretty much school year round with many breaks and shifts.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 7:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Us too. We took off a couple of weeks for VBS and day camp.

Quoting jen2150: Year round and we start tomorrow. We have been planning all month.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Last year we started mid-July because we were doing a trial run so we could figure out if we liked it before giving word that we were pulling the kids out of their charter, which meant that we ended this year right at the beginning of April.  This year we started mid-June, we'll take a longer Christmas break, have a some week long breaks throughout, and end just before April.  I like getting a break when I need to get my garden going and when it's time to get all the end of year scouts stuff done.  :)

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Starting the beginning of Aug or last week of July. Took June completely off because my mom(Grammy) comes to visit for the month. July is getting organized and the extra cleaning done from slacking if in June then we are set by Aug,

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
We are doing light school in July and August (starting tomorrow), we took June completely off. We will start full school September 1 and go until the end of May. I didn't plan to do it this way but it worked well this past year, so we will stick with it I think.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

This has been my first year and we definitely do not stick with the public school. We take breaks whenever we need them and took entire weeks off. We started in September and finished in February (we were only doing kindergarten) and then we took about 4 months off as my husband came home and we spent time together as a family and then went to Disney. Now we are doing light work for a bit before plunging back in. :-) We will be moving early next year so we will continue to be flexible up until then at least. :-)

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
We educate year round and break as needed
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN