Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How often do you take a week or more off?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM
  • 14 Replies
I'm considering doing something like 5 weeks on, 1 off...but I'm not sure how well it will work out. I like the idea to use that week off to regroup and for me to replan or get things ready for the next 5 weeks. (But I'm not sure if that is actually what would end up happening!)

What do you do for breaks and planning?
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Funny you should mention this. I decided this year to do 6 weeks on and 1 week off. At Christmas time I'll do 3 weeks, take off 2 weeks for the holidays, then 3 weeks and then still take off my week for the end the the 6 weeks. I'm starting school back up tomorrow. I'll see how it goes!
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM
We observe the Biblical feasts so take a couple weeks to a month off in the fall and spring. After a long winter or summer my kids need the extra time outdoors. We still do reading and co-ops during our breaks. I plan our breaks by ear based on how things are going. We usually take June off as well. That is the month I do most of my planning. I do mini planning the rest of the year. Most of my mini planning occurs in the evening.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM
I also wanted to add that if we feel like we need it we will take a couple of days off. I am a big fan of mini vacations. Every year our break schedule varies a little. Be flexible but that us know how your schedule is working.
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I think about...3 times a year. Last year we took a couple weeks off in August so we could go on a business trip with my husband, and I kind of liked that break, so I've planned something similar (breakwise, not tripwise, though I had wanted to go somewhere) this year as well. We always take off from basically Thanksgiving (or the beginning of December to after New Year's - midyear break and planning), and then a week in spring for spring break (NOT on the PS schedule) as well.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Vacation is one or two weeks depending on if we take one or two trips that year.  Christmas and New years is a week off. Summer is around nine weeks off.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Last year we took a week to go to the beach in September, we took off all of December and that was basically all.

This year, we're doing a 10-5 schedule. Ten days of school and 5 days of "weekend" to match hubby's schedule.  I'm really keeping my fingers crossed with this.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM

This year I've got planned 3 or 4 one-week breaks, and then 4 weeks at Christmas (2 before so I can get my stuff done, 2 after so the kids can play with whatever they may get).  I want to do the mini planning thing, too, but I fear I will succumb to rest instead.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM

I usually take a couple weeks off around Christmas and then random breaks through the year.  I don't plan them, just take them when I feel we need them or when my sister has some time off and wants to do stuff with him.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Um, we usually do it by ear. We rarely take whole weeks off for no reason. We do take plenty of days off, though. We take off several weeks around Christmas and New Years. Thanksgiving and Easter, we usually take a week.
coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:57 PM

We do 6 on 1 off....this time through we are doing 2-3 weeks as we are packing the house to move.  We pulled the kids from lessons about 8 lessons early for our program and had them "finish up" the tests we had left.  They did pretty good considering they didn't get to do the lessons leading up to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)