Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Notification Question. Seasoned Homeschool Moms! I need your input!

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM
  • 9 Replies
We have been homeschooling for 4-5 years..dd (age 6) is my middle child.
She is very bright. She is starting 2nd grade in our homeschool this year.
Here is my problem. This is the first year that the school district has required us to notify them about her school status. Ohio is age 6.
Do i tell them she is in Kinder? or that she is in 2nd grade?
It would be easier for me to keep track of by telling them 2nd grade.
However, I worry if I put 2nd grade then they will ask for a graded portfolio for the last 2 years. Does that make sense?
by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Keep her where her age dictates. She may be working at a second grade level, but she is *in* kindergarten legally.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure about the laws of Ohio, but.... My littlest (5) is in first grade level classes but we placed him in kinder this year.  It gives us more time before he needs to take any tests (3rd grade here) and I can choose to either give him the third grade test or the test for the grade he is actually in when we do get there.  

If I ever (God forbid) have to place him into the PS, they will test him for grade level anyway, so I can't forsee how it could hurt him.  Plus it's easier to place him in any age-based programs (like summer camp or art classes) where his dextrity is more of a key than knowledge if I keep his recorded grade level parallel to his age.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM
Ok ladies. I will tell them Kinder. :)
firefay
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I think it is easier to go with chronological age instead of the grade(s) the child can do. 

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 12:43 AM
I am in Ohio and I haven't needed to inform the school of what grade my daughter is in. I just say that she is being homeschooled for the 2014-15 school year and they accept it.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Quoting redhead-bedhead: I am in Ohio and I haven't needed to inform the school of what grade my daughter is in. I just say that she is being homeschooled for the 2014-15 school year and they accept it.

Really?  My affidavit (Pennsylvania) needs the grade level and age.  We weren't sure what to do with my oldest because we didn't start until he was in 1st grade of PS but when we placed him, he was in 2nd and 3rd grades in the core courses.  We ended up sticking with his grade and age being the same as the PS so that we didn't have to test immediately.   But they do accept that he's in 4th grade (now) but working on 5th and 8th grade courses (math and language arts respectively).

mommaof697
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 2:16 PM

On my form I can put ungraded. Which is what I put all my kids in regardless of age and level. I do some stuff with all the kids that higher than level and lower than level. Ungraded fits both

DEB, wife to wonderful husband and mom to 6 blessings

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM
I'm also in Ohio and have never listed grade level (only age).

I've never had any problems with acceptance.

AmyG1976
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM

that depends on the laws in your state where I am I never had to notify them of my youngest two because we started before they were of age (here was 7 then) the older two I just went in and filled out a school transfer form at the schools and transfered them to my house nothing more.  if you have to tell them I would tell them as little as possible and prob fill it out as though she was a kinder or first grader as age wise she is just is doing 2ed grade work

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)