Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Please help me get my excitement/motivation back!

Posted by   + Show Post

I was, like many of us, really worn out and burned out at the end of the school year in May. I was hoping taking a nice long FULL (no schoolwork) summer break would re-energize me, but I've found the opposite to be true. I am dreading starting back in a couple of weeks! I have looked over all our curriculum and it all sounds really exciting... but I just can't find my enthusiasm. I know part of the trouble is we moved the school room to a smaller bedroom so our girls could have more space, and it's all kind of a MESS in there. I need to get it decluttered and ready to go. 

I'm just not sure what to do to get excited and energetic though. 

How do you keep up the momentum (or get it in the first place!)?  New school supplies? Taking a mini-vacay AWAY from the kids (we've been so so so so so together this summer that franky, I am a little sick of them and am sure they are a little sick of me too!).

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:54 AM
My first suggestion would be to take a small break from the kids but if you find that is not able to happen, then I suggest getting the kids vamped up and excited for school. You might want to buy a funky pencil box with a few jazzy pencils and some funky looking erasers to put in the pencil box. Then get some cheap glitter and colored paper and tell the kids it's for art class and would they like to try it out now just to see how they like their new supplies(?). I find getting my kids excited helps me get a little excited and that is what helps me get my enthusiasm going.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I went through Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year and pulled all the info and put it in tables so my kids' goals matched up(ish) so I can plan lessons/units.  I would send you my tables, but for you I only have 6th grade (I also have 5th if you would need that for your daughter), so it wouldn't be helpful for your son.  My kids are begging me for grades this year.  ???????  I don't like tests, I prefer a rolling assessment, but they want grades so THEY know where they are.  Frankly, they also like that sense of accomplishment.  My 2nd grader last week bombed his spelling test (he did NOT study, so there ya go) and then told me it wasn't so shabby.  I told him it was very shabby.  But in all honesty, they were hard words.  It bothered me more that it didn't really faze him.  Something I've been toying with, too, is a bar that I color in as they progress (like the loading bar programs have on the computer), for keeping track of a particular skill or what not.  Wouldn't work for everything, but for skills, I think that would be good.  Let me know if you want me to send you the word doc tables.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Oh my this sounds wonderful. I want your guides. I need guides/goals. And I need to see progress. I don't want to test my kids but part of me does because the last/first test didn't go so well. I feel like I need to see progress.
Quoting hwblyf:

School supplies are something I'm always jazzed about.  A new calendar can do it for me, too.  :)  I also went to pinterest and found signs that I like for our school area and printed/laminated those to hang.  My webelos scout made me bulletin boards to hang stuff up, and I went ahead and changed our layout so we have work nooks....just spaces behind furniture or whatnot with a carpet remnant from when we first moved into the house.  Those things jazzed them up, so it got me going again.  Also, I have a more structured (?) schedule.  Goals, I guess, more like.  I felt completely like a failure at the end, but then looking back through what we got accomplished last year, I started feeling better.  Now I have guides that I highlight (oh, I do love me some good school supplies) when we've hit those targets.  A different color for each kid, which match the colors of the dry erase markers I use on the calendar in the kitchen for each of their activities.  :)  And books.  I love books.  :)

rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

i got a eplanner and i have been planning out the lessons and that has made me super excited!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

These are all great ideas!

I did buy a few binders last night (somehow amidst all the school stuff I have, binders is where I'm lacking, and the one thing I NEED right now) so I can get the instructor guides put into those and put them on the shelves. That will help me a lot, mentally.

I am sending in the science camp registration forms today. That will give me 7 hours a day for five days... well minus drop off and pick up, so about 30 hours that week. I am going to ask DH if he can take one of those days off and we can just go do something fun, maybe go for a hike and out to lunch or something, and devote my time the other 4 days to really getting geared up for the school year.

I was planning to start week after next, but I don't want to do 1 week of school and then have a week off for camp then back to school, so we'll wait and start when public schools start on the 11th. Hopefully I can feel really REALLY ready! 

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:15 PM

I think we all go through this.  I have a serious case of the blahs.....part of it is the impending move.  We start the process tomorrow.  Part of it has been my serious case of allergies this summer.  The summer is always worse for me.....I'm trying something new for my allergies and I can already feel my itchy eyes getting better.  I'm hoping I can get through my blahs while unpacking in our new home.  I wish you luck.  We are also taking a mini vacay in August with a couple other families to the beach for 2 days.  I can't wait!!  All 5 kids to keep each other occupied all day long and the parents can sit and relax.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 11, 2014 at 7:25 AM
I would love to see your tables, at least for 6th grade! (I can look at that and then I might ask for 5th as well for some of her goals..if it's easier you could send them both at once)...do you think my email address would work better than using CM?

Also, I love that you remember what grades my kids are in ;)

I'm liking the filling in the bar idea for skills, I love the idea of being organized I just really need to practice it!

I'm grading DS this year since I am trying to prepare both of us for high school at home..but then DD asked about grades as well but I don't want grades to discourage her. So I will use them sparingly with her and try to get more consistent using them with DS.

A bar could also work as a visual grade, more full for a better score/effort/etc., less full for not so great work. I'm actually wondering if this might help my DD just see that she didn't quite meet expectations.

Quoting hwblyf:

I went through Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year and pulled all the info and put it in tables so my kids' goals matched up(ish) so I can plan lessons/units.  I would send you my tables, but for you I only have 6th grade (I also have 5th if you would need that for your daughter), so it wouldn't be helpful for your son.  My kids are begging me for grades this year.  ???????  I don't like tests, I prefer a rolling assessment, but they want grades so THEY know where they are.  Frankly, they also like that sense of accomplishment.  My 2nd grader last week bombed his spelling test (he did NOT study, so there ya go) and then told me it wasn't so shabby.  I told him it was very shabby.  But in all honesty, they were hard words.  It bothered me more that it didn't really faze him.  Something I've been toying with, too, is a bar that I color in as they progress (like the loading bar programs have on the computer), for keeping track of a particular skill or what not.  Wouldn't work for everything, but for skills, I think that would be good.  Let me know if you want me to send you the word doc tables.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Oh my this sounds wonderful. I want your guides. I need guides/goals. And I need to see progress. I don't want to test my kids but part of me does because the last/first test didn't go so well. I feel like I need to see progress.

Quoting hwblyf:

School supplies are something I'm always jazzed about.  A new calendar can do it for me, too.  :)  I also went to pinterest and found signs that I like for our school area and printed/laminated those to hang.  My webelos scout made me bulletin boards to hang stuff up, and I went ahead and changed our layout so we have work nooks....just spaces behind furniture or whatnot with a carpet remnant from when we first moved into the house.  Those things jazzed them up, so it got me going again.  Also, I have a more structured (?) schedule.  Goals, I guess, more like.  I felt completely like a failure at the end, but then looking back through what we got accomplished last year, I started feeling better.  Now I have guides that I highlight (oh, I do love me some good school supplies) when we've hit those targets.  A different color for each kid, which match the colors of the dry erase markers I use on the calendar in the kitchen for each of their activities.  :)  And books.  I love books.  :)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:47 AM

My tables have K, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, & 6th.  I'll go ahead and delete the much younger grades, unless it's helpful to see if your daughter's struggling with any of those lower skills.  PM me your email address and I'll get those out to you.

Also, for grading....make very specific  rubrics for your daughter.  I HATE generic rubrics that my kids' ps teachers would put out there.  If you have an assignment every week, or maybe every month, and just spell out exactly what each grade will look like.  I need to do that for my kids, too.

I might actually get off my butt and make bars to track their progress on certain skills now.  Thanks for the motivation!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: I would love to see your tables, at least for 6th grade! (I can look at that and then I might ask for 5th as well for some of her goals..if it's easier you could send them both at once)...do you think my email address would work better than using CM? Also, I love that you remember what grades my kids are in ;) I'm liking the filling in the bar idea for skills, I love the idea of being organized I just really need to practice it! I'm grading DS this year since I am trying to prepare both of us for high school at home..but then DD asked about grades as well but I don't want grades to discourage her. So I will use them sparingly with her and try to get more consistent using them with DS. A bar could also work as a visual grade, more full for a better score/effort/etc., less full for not so great work. I'm actually wondering if this might help my DD just see that she didn't quite meet expectations.
Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting hwblyf:

sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:44 PM

New supplies, new curriculum, take a trip.  Really, for us, the best thing is to not really stop.  But our school year does not coincide with the school district's calendar.

ChristineTate
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree!  I have my daughter signed up for an all-day camp for a week in August and can't wait.  Did it last year and worked miracles for me.  Just being alone with my thoughts from 8-5 for 5 days in a row is a true tonic for my focus and motivation.

Quoting Dawn07: You need a break from the kids. I didn't get any motivation back until I had several breaks away from them. I just needed some me time to regroup and recharge.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:07 PM

My seven year old asked when we're starting school again, and when I told her she said YYYAAAAAAYYY. She is so excited!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN