Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi All,

I am just trying to see if I can gather some information for a friend of ours.  They are looking into their options with for their son.....he tested with an IQ of 149 at the end of 1st grade.  They aren't sure if the local district will be able to meet the educational needs of this little guy.  They are very much interested in seeing what is available as far as secular curriculum is concerned.  I am personally familiar with the more Christian curricula.  If anyone can help me point them in any direction that would be immensely helpful.

by on Jul. 7, 2014 at 1:21 PM
Replies (11-13):
sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:42 PM

For science we use the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt's ScienceFusion.  It has levels from K-8 or K-12,  can't exactly recall right now.  Books, online stuff, and lab if you have the materials.  That is for my eldest.  My younger kids, I think I'm going to use the "Let's Talk About" Science series (but they are autistic and they do better with low-key stuff like reading a story rather than intense academics).

MamaToHerRoo
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 2:16 AM

My daughter is gifted and we have been using Time4Learning for 7 years.  It is all online, secular, and we have access to 3 grades at a time.  The grade she is registered for, the grade below, and the grade above.  This allows her to move at her own pace. Many gifted children have asyncronous learning, meaning that they are not equally gifted in all subjects.  In our case, my daughter eats up science curriculum at an incredible pace, but she is slower in math and social studies.  Honestly, my daughter would not sit still for workbook pages, or copy work type learning.  For her it has to be fast paced, colorful, and interactive.  We have found that T4L is exactly that. 

I would also second the vote on the Secular Homeschool site, lots of choices there.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Thank you both above me for your replies.  I will pass along this info to the Dad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN