Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need some advice.

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:39 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi all. So my son just turned 7 and we are still pretty new to homeschooling. Only been doing it almost a year now. He is very articulate and can speak very well except he seems to have issues when it comes to the F and TH and sometimes the V sound. When he talks, words that have the TH sound, sound like F words to him. Examples are like free instead of three, frew instead of threw, etc and he also tends to put the V sound in the word "the" instead of the TH sound. This tends to make it hard and frustrating for him when it comes to reading and spelling some words. My question is, what can I do to help him? When he's talking or whatever, I do try to correct him and help him pronounce the words correctly but is that enough? Is this something I should talk to a dr about or is it something he will grow out of? Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you :)

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Get him some speech therapy. That will help. You could possibly google up some speech therapy you could do with him too.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Don't correct him. Just repeat it back correctly. There are books that can help. My son was the same and he improved with time. Only you can decide if he needs a speech therapist.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a common speech problem that usually is corrected between the ages of 6 and 8.  I would set aside a 15 minute "class" each day to work on the sound maybe just before his phonics lessons.  Have a list of words to work on and practice tongue placement.  Have him look in the mirror while he talks so he can see where he is placing his lips and tongue while he says the words.  

Then the rest of the day when he says the word incorrectly don't correct him or make him say it over again, simply say it correctly to him.  Speech is a slow deal.  Give it time with any work that you do.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I had the same problem.  It is hard to detect, but he may have a "cookie bite" hearing loss. 

SugarMama99200
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Thank you all. :)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 10, 2014 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this
My DD did this for a while as well, even going the opposite way as most kids and saying things like "breakthast" instead of breakfast. We just repeated it the correct way and she caught on.

I also work with a kiddo that has that same speech issue and it's part of my job to help him pronounce words properly, he was 7 when I started working with him almost a year ago, and what I have done has definitely helped. For some words I was able to just overannunciate so he could see the way my mouth moved and he could copy it. Other words I actually wrote out with spaces around the issue sound so he could see the letters. I did this each time a word came up that he said wrong (this worked well since it is my job to focus on just him for that 2-3 hour session...this may not work as easily when you are with him all day...so maybe just every time it's possible for you to stop and write it and go over it, that should help).

If you feel like it's not getting any better, then you could look into speech therapy. I have a lot of experience so I felt confident working on it myself. I also worked in a school at the time my DD was having issues and actually asked our speech therapist for ideas. For her, it was important not to correct her because she has a hard time taking criticism and it just upset her...but repeating it so she could hear it would sometimes prompt her to try it again on her own and she outgrew it.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Here is what I have done with my kids. I place my finger On my chin pointing to my mouth and tell them to look at my mouth and then I pronounce the word the correct way with, sometimes, an exaggerated pronunciation of the word and then have them repeat it a few times then we move on to the next word if need be or just do something else.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM
My six yr old still struggles with speech some. I don't know if it is enough to consider evaluation or therapy.

I know that she can't seem to count thirteen...she skips it. Even after over a year of working on 13.

I came to the conclusion that maybe its because when she does say 13, she says it with the "fff" sound. So she says fourteen instead.
SugarMama99200
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:44 AM

My son was doing the EXACT same thing Krissy. He's gotten better with it but sometimes if he starts counting too fast he will mess up. Same thing goes for the number 30 because  he says it with the ff sound so then he sometimes messes him up and goes 29 , "FIRTY" then 41, 42, etc.

Quoting KrissyKC: My six yr old still struggles with speech some. I don't know if it is enough to consider evaluation or therapy. I know that she can't seem to count thirteen...she skips it. Even after over a year of working on 13. I came to the conclusion that maybe its because when she does say 13, she says it with the "fff" sound. So she says fourteen instead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)