Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Pre-k ideas

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
My dd is 3 and I'm starting homeschooling. So far our learning is mostly singing the Ab c's and counting her toys. Lol we do the occasional "lessons" which are simple worksheets where she colors or traces. She loves those. Constantly asking for "lessons". :) any ideas that you really loved for your preschoolers?
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

my kids love crafts so we did a lot of crafts. my ods LOVES worksheets. so i bought a "preschool activity book" and went through them with him.it has taught him to listen to directions, inaddition to colors, shapes, letters, ect

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM
We do a lot of crafts. Check out www.letteroftheweek.com for ideas, wee folk art has an art & nature & cooking curriculum free online curriculum, check out the blog confessions of a homeschooler (has a preschool curriculum you can buy for $15 with tons of ideas for activities), no time for flash cards, play doh for Plato, or toddler approved. They all have tons of ideas.

Or if you want to go the premade route, adventures in learning sends a box with a monthly curriculum to your house with most of the art materials. I bought a box & it's lasted 3 months so far - I stretch out each weeks theme to last longer, they have 20-30 art projects and activities included so I do 1 per day or so (it's like $65 for a box)
romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

At that age, we just sang, played with blocks, read, and watched educational dvds/television for "lessons". Absolutely nothing formal.

Pre-k is for age 4, and we do not start formal school until age 4.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

sarah4gandh
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Just read that article. It was very helpful. But I have to call BS on the authors claim that her 3 month old could say 2 word sentences... Lol some 2 year olds can't say 2 word sentences.

Quoting romacox:

How And What To Teach The PreK Student

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I'm using Before Five in a Row. Good books to read and activities to go with them. We will row (read) one book a week and do a lot of stuff with it. Baking, games, play doh, sensory bins stuff like that.

You can get most the books the library and there are some good blogs with ideas (there is a parents's guide too you can buy)

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 10:21 PM
Me too. And what 3 month old is eating apple pie? Maybe it was a typo and was supposed to be 13 months old.

Quoting sarah4gandh: Just read that article. It was very helpful. But I have to call BS on the authors claim that her 3 month old could say 2 word sentences... Lol some 2 year olds can't say 2 word sentences.

Quoting romacox:

Teeter-Tottered
by on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:58 PM
We enjoy goofing around with the manipulatives from Timberdoodle, trying out Montessori type activities, and arts n craft ideas from magicalchildhood.com. Mostly it's just reading stories and playing outside and doing household stuff though.

On the weekends we'll go to the library and choose a book for the week, and then do a daily activity each day, incorporating that story.

For example, Mondays are painting days for us, so we'll paint about the story, Tuesdays-play-doh (we'll model something from the story), etc. Wednesdays we bake, Thursdays we do arts n crafts, Fridays we try to have field trips to parks/zoos/ museums, or something pertaining to the story.

Mine are a week shy of 3, and 4 :)
Chillisarah
by Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM

We used the Preschool Palace curriculum for pre-k. We also did a lot of arts & crafts.  Another fun thing to do is "expression painting".  Turn on music (classical, jazz, pop, etc.) and have the child paint what he/she feels to the music.  We loved doing that.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 8:20 PM

That was my child, and she could say "bye bye appopie" when she wanted to go to the store to buy apple pie.  Children are capable of much more than we give them credit for.  

Quoting sarah4gandh: Just read that article. It was very helpful. But I have to call BS on the authors claim that her 3 month old could say 2 word sentences... Lol some 2 year olds can't say 2 word sentences.
Quoting romacox:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN