Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
When are you going to start your school year?
by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Replies (31-40):
rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:29 PM

why january?

Quoting coala:

We start in January.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM

We opted for this with our program so that my youngest isn't held back.  She had to turn 5 within 6 mos of starting K....and 6 within 6 mos of 1st and so on.  In this process our oldest was held back by 3 mos.  We took the 3 mos over 9 mos for the youngest.  It is just easier on all of us for record keeping to have them start like this.  Not to mention that we get a good 10-12 weeks off at the holidays.  Who wouldn't enjoy that?

I forgot to mention that my youngest is super smart and was ready for K before she turned 4.  We just couldn't let her with the curriculum we chose.  We kept her moving, but starting her 9 mos ahead of her peers has been great for her.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

why january?

Quoting coala:

We start in January.

rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM

very nice :)

Quoting coala:

We opted for this with our program so that my youngest isn't held back.  She had to turn 5 within 6 mos of starting K....and 6 within 6 mos of 1st and so on.  In this process our oldest was held back by 3 mos.  We took the 3 mos over 9 mos for the youngest.  It is just easier on all of us for record keeping to have them start like this.  Not to mention that we get a good 10-12 weeks off at the holidays.  Who wouldn't enjoy that?

I forgot to mention that my youngest is super smart and was ready for K before she turned 4.  We just couldn't let her with the curriculum we chose.  We kept her moving, but starting her 9 mos ahead of her peers has been great for her.

Quoting rmgriffberg:

why january?

Quoting coala:

We start in January.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 4:35 PM

We're going to start July 21 and do two weeks, but only cover 1 week of material. July 21 - 25 we are going to work on their cores (Sonlight) - reading, geography, etc., and handwriting. Then July 28 - Aug 1 we are going to do math and science. This way we'll be done by late morning and can still go swimming and do other summer things. Then Aug 4 - 8 they'll go to science camp, and we'll start back full time on August 11.

steph21078
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM

We are starting in August,  only because the boys have summer camp next week and then we are moving August 1.  

rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM

good luck with the move!

Quoting steph21078:

We are starting in August,  only because the boys have summer camp next week and then we are moving August 1.  

redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM
We are year round schoolers. It gives us the freedom to take time off when we want it.
JadeTigr7
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 12:37 PM
My younger two will start some time in August. My older two will start probably in October or November.
mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM
What reference did you use for looking up what she needs to know?

Quoting GodsAmiga:

I don't think we will have a formal start. My oldest is only in 1st grade and we are moving in January from overseas back to stateside so I want to plan for a break then. We are doing light work part time this summer and will dive in for more consistent schooling probably around September. But I will also be trying to make sure they get enough time with their friends before we move so won't be stressing it. I looked up what she needs to know by the end of 1st grade and she has already met most of the goals so I am trying to keep that in mind and not let myself stress too much over the next year. :-P

sarah_beth
by Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM

We are going to start the middle of August. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)