Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi,

I just joined my name is Lola I am considering homeschooling my 3 school aged children. We have home schooled once before a few years ago with our 1st daughter she did great but by 1st grade age 7 she wanted to try public school we agreed and she liked it so our 2nd daughter started kinder garden and all was going well but recently we moved and they finished school off in the new school near us with no issues both passed and are above average on all tests which is wonderful however now over the summer they both have come to me asking to be home schooled again as they loved it and feel they would be further ahead if they had continued with homeschooling . My daughters are ages 10 (almost 11) she is going into 5th grade and then I have my 8yr old going into 3rd now I also have my first son who is 5 and will be going into kinder garden this coming year as well...

Here is my question and concern . I'm a bit rusty on how to start the process again or even where to start really. I have a 22month old son and am due with our daughter a wk after his 2nd bday I am def worried about managing our time and schedule with such young children at home.

I have heard about online home school programs and things to that nature and Im really just needing some advice on where to start and maybe how to keep organized also curriculum is a concern of mine with having 3 kids now in 3 dif grades I feel a bit overwhelmed . I do love having the kids home with me and really would like to give this another try , I guess I just dont know where to start and school here starts Aug 8th so I feel a ton of pressure to make a decision and start on this asap 

ANY advice would be appreciated!

by on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

make sure you look up the laws of your state
this is my first year so thats the only advice i have

AngryLittleLola
by New Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 5:31 PM

That was the 1st thing I did lol The laws are pretty simple here from what I have read so I dont think I will have an issue with that part its everything else LOL Im nervous but my girls really want to do it , I'm just not sure how to go about it all and I'm due in 6wks so pretty much my friends and family think I'm crazy since we will have a 2yr old and a newborn plus the 3 being homeschooled =P maybe I am crazy

Quoting rmgriffberg:

make sure you look up the laws of your statethis is my first year so thats the only advice i have

rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 7:34 PM

start slowly for your first week or two. that way you can ease into it and you wont put too much pressure on yourself

Quoting AngryLittleLola:

That was the 1st thing I did lol The laws are pretty simple here from what I have read so I dont think I will have an issue with that part its everything else LOL Im nervous but my girls really want to do it , I'm just not sure how to go about it all and I'm due in 6wks so pretty much my friends and family think I'm crazy since we will have a 2yr old and a newborn plus the 3 being homeschooled =P maybe I am crazy

Quoting rmgriffberg:

make sure you look up the laws of your statethis is my first year so thats the only advice i have

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I'm not a personal fan of online public schools, if that is what you were referring to. Not my cuppa, so I can't comment there.

You need to first look up your state laws.

Next, decide what faith preference you have for your materials - protestant christian, catholic christian, or secular.

Next, decide your budget. This varies so much for every family.

Then it's time to look at curriculum. You can combine time periods for history (combine the "core") with your 8 and 10 year old, but you will need to give separate, age and skill appropriate assignments. You will need to do separate language arts (spelling, writing, grammar, literature) and separate math, as those are skill areas and your children will not be working at the same level there. Combining science is probably okay for now, but be ready to separate in another year or so, when your oldest reaches middle school.

Your kindergartner will need almost entirely mom intensive time. I would advise keeping him 4 R's for now - reading, writing, arithmetic, and religion (if you plan to do religion); if he wants, he can tag along with the olders and listen in on the science and history lessons, but nothing formal.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

anzm33
by Member on Jul. 9, 2014 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a 9 7 & 3 year old this baby is due in December I understand why you are overwhelmed. My oldest does better if you hand her the text books tell her what to do and let her do it herself (independent learner) it frees me up a lot so its a win win. I am secular and use saxon math curtis hake grammar and writing scott foresman science and myworld social studies reading I create my own. I live in IL and we have pretty much open reign to homeschool however we want.. if you're in a similar boat just take a breath know some days will be impossible and others will go great the key is to not break down on the hard days. Depending on your childrens learning styles I would try to set it up to where one child is working independently while you help one that needs help and sort of rotate your attention. I would also suggest combined curriculum where you can where all children are learning the same thing in a group with you this works best in music science social studies art sometimes reading if your reading and discussing together which in my family we do and my 3 year old loves it. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN