Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 7:16 AM
  • 9 Replies

I need help finding the right curriculum the doesnt break my bank or some one to hep me create my own. I will be homeschooling a 1st grader and Kindergartener. I have no restrictions or guidelines I have to follow.

I would like for it to be christian based

all five subjects

and for it to include tests to track their progress

by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Hello. :)

Have you thought about looking on Amazon or eBay for the type of curriculum you are looking for? Are you looking for free style or by the book?
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM

You kind of need to clarify your budget a bit more. We don't know what your bank account looks like, so what might be a viable curriculum budget for us, may not be for you, or vice versa.

Can you give a ballpark of what you're able to spend?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

clligatoraoffee
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

probaby more by the book. no i havent. i will try that. thank you

Quoting kirbymom: Hello. :) Have you thought about looking on Amazon or eBay for the type of curriculum you are looking for? Are you looking for free style or by the book?

clligatoraoffee
by on Jul. 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

trying to stay under 500 for both kids at the moment i am considering abeka

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You kind of need to clarify your budget a bit more. We don't know what your bank account looks like, so what might be a viable curriculum budget for us, may not be for you, or vice versa.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Oh that's a doable budget! Definitely, at these grades. I have no real experience with Abeka, as we aren't protestant, but good luck!

Quoting clligatoraoffee:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Abeka is a solid curriculum if you can afford it. It was used when I was homeschooled and I'm using parts of it with my dd. It is more workbook oriented, so if you have a hands on child, you may have to add in some activities to mix it up.

The Christian Book Distributors has a variety of curriculums listed as well as options that you can piece together.

Quoting clligatoraoffee:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

anzm33
by Member on Jul. 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Did you look on rainbow resource? I found some cheap filler items on there that I could incorporate and my curriculum was a lot cheaper there than buying it from the publisher
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Spend your effort and money in phonics. Gear it to the first grader and let kindy get what they can from it. If kindly still needs it, do a letter of the week system for that one.

Focus also on math and motor skills (both fine and gross).

Then hit the library often....and read a ton... act out the books, keep journals, lapbooks, sketchbooks about what they are learning.

clligatoraoffee
by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 6:05 AM
I did just buy the full phonics program just waiting for it to arrive. I am very excited to start it.

Quoting KrissyKC: Spend your effort and money in phonics. Gear it to the first grader and let kindy get what they can from it. If kindly still needs it, do a letter of the week system for that one.

Focus also on math and motor skills (both fine and gross).

Then hit the library often....and read a ton... act out the books, keep journals, lapbooks, sketchbooks about what they are learning.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)