Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Bob Books

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM
  • 11 Replies
Have anyone did Bob Books for their children or child for their first grader reading classes?
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyG1976
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM

we did them not first grader, though I have adapted more a waldof way now and prob would be teaching a child to read a little later than I did but no issues from it. Youngest started with only reading at about 4 but we used bob books, starfall and reader rabbit. The rest of my kids were in public schools until 2ed 4th and 9th grades

Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I, personally, wouldn't use them at first grade level (we used them for K), BUT I wouldn't discourage you if your child would benefit from them. I think they are very helpful for introducing children to reading and can give them a confidence boost since so many of the words are repetitive and can be learned by using flash cards beforehand.
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM
I seen they had first books and sight words in the "bob books"

Quoting Mandallyn: I, personally, wouldn't use them at first grade level (we used them for K), BUT I wouldn't discourage you if your child would benefit from them. I think they are very helpful for introducing children to reading and can give them a confidence boost since so many of the words are repetitive and can be learned by using flash cards beforehand.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM
I used them as at the beginning of first to help get my son caught up.
Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:38 PM
We have that set as well. I liked Set 1 for beginning reading, the words were shorter and the pages seemed to have less words. The set that comes with the flash cards seemed to be more advanced.

Quoting motheroffour186: I seen they had first books and sight words in the "bob books"

Quoting Mandallyn: I, personally, wouldn't use them at first grade level (we used them for K), BUT I wouldn't discourage you if your child would benefit from them. I think they are very helpful for introducing children to reading and can give them a confidence boost since so many of the words are repetitive and can be learned by using flash cards beforehand.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM

We use them as supplements to our main phonics program, but never as a main program - they are only readers, not a program.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We did Bob Books in conjunction with Ring Around The Phonics.  They are excellent. 

GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 10:47 PM

I got some of them for when my dd was learning to read and she found them really boring. My friend used them, though, to teach her son how to read and it worked for them. :-)

lovepotato
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:47 AM
We've used Bob books along with Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. Then I added Pace First grade English. This Reading Mama is a blog, and she has printables for all the Bob books along with 5 other blogs.
I wouldn't say you can use them on their own, but they're a great addition. My sin lives them. They've helped him build confidence. At the beginning of first, he want reading at all. Now he's almost "caught up" to his grade level.
lovepotato
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Hers a link to her printables: http://thisreadingmama.com/free-bob-book-printables/ she has links to the other blogs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN