Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Really pleased with Saxon Math

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:41 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this
I got the second grade curriculum for my 7 year old who has a language disorder. We just started last week, but so far, so good. The repetition is really helping him to catch on and he's so proud of himself and is gaining confidence. Yay!
by on Jul. 14, 2014 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anzm33
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
We are using Saxon also (4th grade 5/4) my daughter doesnt start until august but has skimmed it and is excited
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM
That's great!!! We used Saxon in middle and highschool. They are a good math.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM

glad to hear it! I"m getting 8/7 for my oldest son this year - his first year homeschooling. I've been using MathU See for my younger son and it's fabuolous for him, but I thought my older son might do well with something different. I haven't purchased it yet. I was going to get teh dvd lessons that go with it since I"m not the strongest in math and want ot make sure he gets good instruction.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM
Does it give lots of repetition and practice in high school too?

Quoting Dawn07: That's great!!! We used Saxon in middle and highschool. They are a good math.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM
I don't know how it is on a higher level, but my teacher's manual is scripted.

Quoting Chasing3:

glad to hear it! I"m getting 8/7 for my oldest son this year - his first year homeschooling. I've been using MathU See for my younger son and it's fabuolous for him, but I thought my older son might do well with something different. I haven't purchased it yet. I was going to get teh dvd lessons that go with it since I"m not the strongest in math and want ot make sure he gets good instruction.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! A lot! At least I thought it was a lot while doing it lol.

Quoting Bluecalm: Does it give lots of repetition and practice in high school too?

Quoting Dawn07: That's great!!! We used Saxon in middle and highschool. They are a good math.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I have to admit I"m a little lazy about reading manuals! MUS has been super easy since it's at the lower levels and I hardly ever looked at the manual.

Maybe I can stil manage all the content... it would save me $80 for the dvd set that I was going to get. I suppose I could buy it later if I'm struggling to explain things well. I knwo by Algebra, I think I'll want the dvds because he's definatly going to surpass me in math skills!

Quoting Bluecalm: I don't know how it is on a higher level, but my teacher's manual is scripted.
Quoting Chasing3:

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 9:05 PM

We really like Saxon as well, at least for lower elementary. We have used K-3 for our kids. The spiraling works great for them because they are the type to forget something day to day unless it's repeated (we tried Singapore in the past and that was a disaster because it was like, once you learned one concept, you never came back to it again). I know some kids don't like spiraling but for us, it's good. I also love the script (though we ALWAYS just skip "The Meeting") and the manipulatives and play they incorporate into the lessons. My kids loved putting price tags on things in our house to practice counting money or arranging army men to practice ordinal numbers! 

We did it up through 54 last year. Now we are switching to just Teaching Textbooks, mainly because I need to be freed up more having three kids with a hefty load. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:17 AM
Saxon is def a good math and teaches very well. I only used it one year, though because of the headaches.

My kids started out doing it well, but the daily meeting thing got unappreciated really fast. They would sigh and roll their eyes when doing the meeting part. They did the lesson with me great, but doing the work was like ripping our hair out slowly. It only got worse every day.

We tried some other maths. Still same result.

Landed on Math U See last year and fell in love. My kids both did a whole year's math so smoothly and quickly, they started the next years book and are halfway through it. I even added a whiteboard math with logic problems, pre algebra, challenges, etc...

They now devour math and are eager to do it. Also, I'm pretty hands off. All I do is administer the assessments and grade them. They do all their work and grade that themselves.

I breathe easier now. Also, they are really mastering it. My kids can teach it back to me or correct me.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM
I've heard good things about Math U See. I might look into it when my 4 year old is ready. Saxon is perfect for my 7 year because he needs the repetition but it would probably bore my little guy.I'm including him in the morning meetings now.

Quoting KrissyKC: Saxon is def a good math and teaches very well. I only used it one year, though because of the headaches.

My kids started out doing it well, but the daily meeting thing got unappreciated really fast. They would sigh and roll their eyes when doing the meeting part. They did the lesson with me great, but doing the work was like ripping our hair out slowly. It only got worse every day.

We tried some other maths. Still same result.

Landed on Math U See last year and fell in love. My kids both did a whole year's math so smoothly and quickly, they started the next years book and are halfway through it. I even added a whiteboard math with logic problems, pre algebra, challenges, etc...

They now devour math and are eager to do it. Also, I'm pretty hands off. All I do is administer the assessments and grade them. They do all their work and grade that themselves.

I breathe easier now. Also, they are really mastering it. My kids can teach it back to me or correct me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)