Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Comparing fiction characters- need advice

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM
  • 5 Replies
I'd like my 8th grader to do a few book comparisons. You know, you read two books and then write a report comparing the books or something in the books?
Anyway, I need book ideas. Help me out!
by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM

A good comparison set for 8th graders is Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  TCCofBB is a short story so it's less reading than 2 full novels.

Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut and Anthem by Ayn Rand (although she is a bit thick for 8th grade)

The Machine Stops (E.M. Forster) vs.  The Time Machine (HG Wells)  There are a couple options for critical comparisons.

Gulliver's Travels and The Hobbit.

The pirates from Treasure Island and Peter Pan.

Contemporaries:  There's the Divergent series and the Hunger Games series with the options of a fun movie night afterward.

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns and Belle Pratter's Boy (there are some adult themes that may be intolerable, but many 8th graders read these.)

Harry Potter vs. Charlie Bone or Percy Jackson.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! These are a good start. 8)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

A good comparison set for 8th graders is Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.  TCCofBB is a short story so it's less reading than 2 full novels.

Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut and Anthem by Ayn Rand (although she is a bit thick for 8th grade)

The Machine Stops (E.M. Forster) vs.  The Time Machine (HG Wells)  There are a couple options for critical comparisons.

Gulliver's Travels and The Hobbit.

The pirates from Treasure Island and Peter Pan.

Contemporaries:  There's the Divergent series and the Hunger Games series with the options of a fun movie night afterward.

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns and Belle Pratter's Boy (there are some adult themes that may be intolerable, but many 8th graders read these.)

Harry Potter vs. Charlie Bone or Percy Jackson.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Are you going to use venn diagrams and such? These are a good visual way to compare literary works.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:28 AM
We'll probably use those a bit but I want her to focus on writing papers.

Quoting KrissyKC: Are you going to use venn diagrams and such? These are a good visual way to compare literary works.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:38 AM
A Venn diagram is good prep work for writing a compare/contrast paper.

Sounds like fun. You are so creative mem... we have been too busy to step outside the curriculum much. The curriculum "keeps us honest" if that makes sense.

Lately anything we have been doing outside curric has been laid aside and not followed through.

Quoting mem82: We'll probably use those a bit but I want her to focus on writing papers.

Quoting KrissyKC: Are you going to use venn diagrams and such? These are a good visual way to compare literary works.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN