Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

School District asking for more than state requires....

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM
  • 6 Replies

This is a New York State homeschooling situation....

I asked a few other homeschooling moms in my district these questions but have gotten mixed answers so I figured I'd ask in here as well. & Sorry for all the NYS questions, I just really want to do the right thing

Here are my questions:

I was under the impression (based on my research and knowledge of the laws) that I am not required to use the district's IHIP forms and can legally draft my own as long as it meets all the requirements...am I correct in this assumption?

Also, it is my understanding that ONLY an IHIP is required to be sent in to the district...I am in NO WAY obligated to fill out and send in their "Home Instruction Worksheet", correct? The worksheet asks for information that is already fully detailed in the IHIPs I sent in anyways...

On the NYSED.gov website it has a question and answer section, in which one question/answer says "Must the Home Instruction Worksheet be filled out by the parents? No. The Worksheet is for internal district use."

When I asked other moms in my district, one said I could ignore the forms and another seasoned homeschooling mother said I needed to send in the Home Instruction Worksheet because 'each district has their own rules that go along side the states.'

What do you think?

forms and Home Instruction Worksheet by August 9, 2014"IHIP form and a "Home Instruction Worksheet". She stated: "I would expect to receive your completed IHIP yet) in which the assistant superintendent sent me a blank IHIPs. I recently received a response to my letter of intent (I'm assuming they hadn't received my IHIPsI sent in my letter of intent for school year 2014-2015 and then a few days later sent out my

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 12:26 PM
I would honestly make a phone call to your state's department of education and ask.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM
I thought new york was one of those states that gave control of this more over to each district.

In missouri if the school was asking for extra stuff that I didn't want to provide, I would provide the person with what was required along with a highlighted copy of the hsing law....

I'm not sure if new york would offer the same advantages.
abuckalew
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM

this! i live in tx and luckily we dont have to do this, but you need to get the info straight from the state. 1 or 2 phone calls is better than hearing yes or no from alot of different ppl.

Quoting mem82: I would honestly make a phone call to your state's department of education and ask.

anzm33
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM
I live in Illinois I virtually do not have to do anything however I know every time I have questions I am directed to my local school board (district office) who connects me with the lady who knows all the homeschool laws requirements and houses a list of organizations and co-ops :) I am in agreement with the rest of the ladies I would be hunting down your state school board number and specifically contacting someone in charge of or has knowledge of the homeschool sector. Im assuming in strict states they would have a sector just for homeschool.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM

moms within the network of homeschoolers I've gotten to know can get into heated debate on this stuff. Some are adamant to not do anything beyond the letter of the law - even when it's like you say: just putting down the information that is legally required anyway on the form they provide. Their point is it's a slippery slope and the district will just ask for more and more. I do fear the day will come there are more restrictions put on homeschoolers, so I can appreciate their convictions to follow the law only.

I'm in the camp that fills out their forms. Again, in my situation they are not asking for anything beyond what our state requires. FWIW, I think it's paid-off for me so far. The principal I sumbitted the work portfolio to in June replied with a really nice email thanking me for the submission and she ended with "wishing you and your family a wonderful summer!" Then, when I submitted the district forms for next year, the secretary emailed me back to let me know she got them and said, "Please don’t wait for the letter to start your home school program.  I hope we will have the information back to you by the first of August at the latest…..  We are out straight!    Thanks,  D..." I mean, how much more cordial can you get? As far as I can tell, it's worth the 5 minutes of my time to fill out their form. They are bureaucrats and someone has to stamp and file these things and they take their job very seriously! Even if we all think it's inane, I figure they subliminally appreciate that I've made their job easier.

Also, I submitted the form for my son for next year in mid-June and got the letter a week ago. Their letter IS the form I filled out with the superintendents signature on it. I actually was able to use it as proof that we're homeschoolers last year to get student discounts. The email above is for the form for my older son I submitted 2 weeks later. I'm happy with how prompt they are and all communications I've had with the district thus far. Now, if the day comes they ask for too much, I'll stand my ground.

manders018
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I am also in NY but new to homeschooling this year. I understood the nysed.gov website in the same way you did but I am hesitant to go only on that. They put on their that the information is from 2003 and might not be up to date.

I went to hslda.org and was able to for free obtain a copy of the laws for NY. I don't remember now what it specifically said about that form or not though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN