Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

time4learning

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

I've been looking at it for my 7yo ds. He likes the demos and one of my patients really enjoyed it but the only question i have is how many hours a day does it require my son to be logged on?

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyG1976
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM

They don't require you to be logged in any # of hours a day or any certain or amt of days.  you do what you do and that is that

abuckalew
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Great! Thanks

Quoting AmyG1976:

They don't require you to be logged in any # of hours a day or any certain or amt of days.  you do what you do and that is that

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Some people like it, but I did not.

1. My very mathmatical older kids found themselves lacking the retention and not advancing. An entire year into math, they really felt like they had learned nothing.

2. Starting about 3 grade, it felt more like they were just reading with an occasional mini video thrown in for the science and social studies topics. They got bored and kept skipping the reading and bombing tests and quizzes. They are avid readers, too, which made zero sense. They read the same topics out of books from the library with more zeal.

3. The language arts stuff was more engaging, but other than the younger years for phonics practice and reading practice, we could get the same from books. I felt it lacked in grammar, but we were doing Rod and Staff english by this point, so were used to more.

4. Little to no writting practice. Neither handwriting nor writing developmeny.

abuckalew
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:37 AM
What about gor 2n grade? I'm thinking of using it just this ywar and then swithing overall to SOS. We use that for older dd, but it isn't available until 3rd grade

Quoting KrissyKC: Some people like it, but I did not.

1. My very mathmatical older kids found themselves lacking the retention and not advancing. An entire year into math, they really felt like they had learned nothing.

2. Starting about 3 grade, it felt more like they were just reading with an occasional mini video thrown in for the science and social studies topics. They got bored and kept skipping the reading and bombing tests and quizzes. They are avid readers, too, which made zero sense. They read the same topics out of books from the library with more zeal.

3. The language arts stuff was more engaging, but other than the younger years for phonics practice and reading practice, we could get the same from books. I felt it lacked in grammar, but we were doing Rod and Staff english by this point, so were used to more.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Yes... in that case, I probably would.

I've used T4L three times as a tool to help us reach other goals, but as a main curric, the above problems are what would hold me back.

I'm currently using it to help with my very hyper and attention lacking 6 yr old. It is great phonics practice and reinforced some stuff for her especially giving me time to focus on the older kids.

Handwriting and taking time off the screen is important, too.

Quoting abuckalew: What about gor 2n grade? I'm thinking of using it just this ywar and then swithing overall to SOS. We use that for older dd, but it isn't available until 3rd grade

Quoting KrissyKC: Some people like it, but I did not.

abuckalew
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Yes! Handwriting is very important. For now we are using his handwriting book from public school last year. After that I will print stuff from the internet and as soon as I feel he has mastered print writing I will start him on cursive.

Quoting KrissyKC: Yes... in that case, I probably would. I've used T4L three times as a tool to help us reach other goals, but as a main curric, the above problems are what would hold me back. I'm currently using it to help with my very hyper and attention lacking 6 yr old. It is great phonics practice and reinforced some stuff for her especially giving me time to focus on the older kids. Handwriting and taking time off the screen is important, too.
Quoting abuckalew: What about gor 2n grade? I'm thinking of using it just this ywar and then swithing overall to SOS. We use that for older dd, but it isn't available until 3rd grade
Quoting KrissyKC: Some people like it, but I did not. 1. My very mathmatical older kids found themselves lacking the retention and not advancing. An entire year into math, they really felt like they had learned nothing. 2. Starting about 3 grade, it felt more like they were just reading with an occasional mini video thrown in for the science and social studies topics. They got bored and kept skipping the reading and bombing tests and quizzes. They are avid readers, too, which made zero sense. They read the same topics out of books from the library with more zeal. 3. The language arts stuff was more engaging, but other than the younger years for phonics practice and reading practice, we could get the same from books. I felt it lacked in grammar, but we were doing Rod and Staff english by this point, so were used to more. 4. Little to no writting practice. Neither handwriting nor writing developmeny.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Draw write now is fun. I like handwriting without tears.

You totally don't need a program for hw, but I'm terrible at hw and making it a priority, so I bought curric for it.
abuckalew
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM

my handwriting is pretty form what my co workers tell me, but i dont want to teach my kids how to write cursive broken up! lol.

Quoting KrissyKC: Draw write now is fun. I like handwriting without tears. You totally don't need a program for hw, but I'm terrible at hw and making it a priority, so I bought curric for it.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:08 PM

I'm using it for my 4.5 year old and we love it.  I don't use it as our main material though.  Really only as a time filler when I need to put her brother down for a nap. Given the material I've seen (she's doing 2nd grade work in some areas) it's not enough.  It's not advanced enough. I do really like the language arts stuff but wasn't super impressed with the Science and Math.  It was a little slow for her at times too, as in repeating stuff too much. 

katshu
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We love Time4Learning. Have been using it for about 8 years now, and my oldest is currently in 9th grade. We don't always use it the same way each year...some years it's been our core, other years it's been a supplement to a more interest led approach. It's very affordable compared to similar programs. There is not a set amount of time you *have* to spend on it each day. Totally up to each family. 

Good luck! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)