Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling is "too expensive"?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM
  • 31 Replies
2 moms liked this
Ok, so we all know one of the arguments against or worries about homeschooling is how much it can cost, if one parent stays home, for childcare for kids you wouldn't normally need it for, curriculum, etc. But looking at these supply lists moms are posting, I don't think so! Some middle schools and high schools now are even requiring kids have their own laptops. Plus you have new clothes every year, or uniforms, even in some public schools. School lunches, field trips, favors for class parties, etc. etc.

And of course with groups like this one we HSing moms share ways to save money! If you ever get down thinking HSing is going to be too expensive, just remember these things. =)
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM
I was thinking the same thing after reading some of these school supplies lists
DesireMM
by Desire' on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I agree. My husband wanted the kids to go to a charter school this year. That changed quickly when the school supply list was more expensive then buying curriculum. And that was not including getting uniforms.

all2gethernow
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I homeschooled for many years as a single mom. Four kids. I worked as a waitress, made good money, but just enough for living expenses and savings. I hate when people say it can't be done because it's expensive. I used the same books year after year, child after child. They wrote answers on notebook paper instead of in the books. I also scanned our math u see and printed out the workbooks as needed. The library and internet are great resources:) my biggest expense has probably been paper and ink. My oldest have finished school, and never spent a day in an actual school.
Oh, and the only expense I have this year is a geometry program:)
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM
We have just a tad extra income usually. Sometimes it leaves us tight and all.

However, this is what we generally spend...

Supplies: generally around $40-60 per year. We would have computers and internet anyway, so I don't include this.

Curric: roughly $700-1200 per year, we either buy it over time or we use a portion of taxes to get it.

Classes/clubs/sports: $600-800 annually, but some of these they would do anyway.

I would have been staying at home all this time anyway because we prefer to avoid daycare. Our youngest is 2 now.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We likely spend more on homeschooling than we'd spend if our children went to public school, even with school supplies and extraneous fees. Usually the "uniform" clothes I see are on sale pretty cheap - like five or six bucks a piece at Target, etc - and you have to clothe your kids whether they are homeschooled or not. I've even thought how nice it would be for my homeschooled kids to wear uniforms because then we wouldn't have to bother with coordinated outfits or anything - just throw something on! But I won't do that to them. :)

I spent around $1500 for this upcoming year's curriculum. We also spend about $800- $1000 on co-op classes per year. We'd have vacations, internet, library late fees, regardless, so I don't count any of that.

Sure, you can do it a lot cheaper, and I would if I had to. It would just require a heck of a lot more of a time commitment from me and I'd also worry a lot more about gaps in their education. Using a prepackaged program, I feel confident that we are covering all bases.

GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:27 AM

I would spend less with public school at this point but my daughter who would be in school this year (1st grade) would probably barely be able to read and would be hating school. And would have only one 20 minute combined lunch and recess break the entire day. So the extra money it takes is totally worth it. I am sure I could school for even cheaper but right now we can afford the things I know works for us and most of it will be reused with the other kids as well. :-)

mamavalor
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:49 AM

Yup.  And don't forget to add the cost of having a tutor because Johnny isn't up to par with Mei or didn't get into the gifted class.  Another one is how about being on the rec team isn't good enough anymore?  Kids have to be on a specialized team, a travel team, or some other crazy money making team out to suck the marrow of insecure parents who want their kids to be the next Jeter, Johnson, Crosby, or Williams, or at least a full ride to an Ivy League university.  Blah.

My kids attend their public school because they want to and we unschool at home.  We live frugally so we buy only what we need from their supply list, clothes for their closets, and so on.  I pack their lunches and snacks.  They sign up for sports and/or activities because they are interested in them and not because their friends are interested in them.  We contribute to whatever we think is necessary (teacher gifts, PTA membership, donation to the food pantry, etc).  We hate fundraisers.  Another blah.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Heck, I believe I spent more on stupid PTA fundraisers to keep my son from being picked on than I spend on homeschooling supplies.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Well, our children still need clothing, so we don't save money there. Curriculum and supplies CAN be pricey, but we're okay with that investment.
SpiritedWitch
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:35 AM

My biggest expense was the ink and the printer paper. I used the internet and that's when it was dial-up. I used Encarta (remember when that came with a new computer?) and several other free programs. I also used some of my old college books. 

I mentioned to my hubby the other day that I was glad that we pulled him out and that I was glad that we did not have a kid in the public school system these days. I think it is disgusting how much money has been taken away from education and teachers. It makes home schooling look more and more appealing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN