Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling is "too expensive"?

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok, so we all know one of the arguments against or worries about homeschooling is how much it can cost, if one parent stays home, for childcare for kids you wouldn't normally need it for, curriculum, etc. But looking at these supply lists moms are posting, I don't think so! Some middle schools and high schools now are even requiring kids have their own laptops. Plus you have new clothes every year, or uniforms, even in some public schools. School lunches, field trips, favors for class parties, etc. etc.

And of course with groups like this one we HSing moms share ways to save money! If you ever get down thinking HSing is going to be too expensive, just remember these things. =)
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
Decemberlov
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I'm new to this and this post reminded me...

Does anyone know if you can write off homeschool supplies at tax time? Computer purchase, software, office/school supplies etc?

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Homeschooling definitely costs me more than PS ever did.  I still have to buy him clothes, I still have to make him lunch (plus he got free lunches at school), I still have to buy supplies, plus field trip costs, and curriculum.  I don't mind spending the money, but it definitely costs me a lot more.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Varies by state. Not here.

Quoting Decemberlov:

Does anyone know if you can write off homeschool supplies at tax time? Computer purchase, software, office/school supplies etc?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that it costs more (our children didn't get free lunch, though). Now, since we had previously done private school for most of dd's education, it doesn't cost more than THAT, but it definitely costs us more to homeschool than it did for her short year stint at public school in 4th grade. Between normal clothing and food purchases, and actual school related purchases (ink, paper, actual curriculum, extra sports that we wouldn't do otherwise, etc)... it adds up. Great investment, in our opinion, but I can't say it's cheaper than public school on any level.

Quoting kmath:

Homeschooling definitely costs me more than PS ever did.  I still have to buy him clothes, I still have to make him lunch (plus he got free lunches at school), I still have to buy supplies, plus field trip costs, and curriculum.  I don't mind spending the money, but it definitely costs me a lot more.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Quoting Decemberlov:

There are no deductions for homeschooling at the federal level. Only a handful of states allow write offs for homeschooling supplies. Ann at A to Z has a lot of good information on this:

http://a2zhomeschooling.com/laws/homeschool_laws_legalities/tax_writeoff_educational_writeoffs/

Decemberlov
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting Decemberlov:

There are no deductions for homeschooling at the federal level. Only a handful of states allow write offs for homeschooling supplies. Ann at A to Z has a lot of good information on this:

http://a2zhomeschooling.com/laws/homeschool_laws_legalities/tax_writeoff_educational_writeoffs/

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:25 PM

LOL, yeah, doesn't cost as much as his private school did, but definitely more than public school.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I agree that it costs more (our children didn't get free lunch, though). Now, since we had previously done private school for most of dd's education, it doesn't cost more than THAT, but it definitely costs us more to homeschool than it did for her short year stint at public school in 4th grade. Between normal clothing and food purchases, and actual school related purchases (ink, paper, actual curriculum, extra sports that we wouldn't do otherwise, etc)... it adds up. Great investment, in our opinion, but I can't say it's cheaper than public school on any level.

Quoting kmath:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I know, lol. I'm sitting here adding it up (because of the post)

Normal clothing, because the kids can't run around naked: $200/per season (minimally), times 2 (two school aged children children), 2 seasonal buys (winter/fall and spring/summer) - $800/yearly.

Quality mid-day lunches at home: about $30/weekly for the two school aged children. Assuming 36 weeks in the school year, we'll figure that at $1080/yearly.

Kindergarten curriculum items: $500 this year

7th/8th grade curriculum items: $800 this year

General school and art supplies: $150 this year

Printer ink and paper this year, estimated: $150

Memberships I wouldn't buy if the kids were in brick and mortar, because they apply directly to our homeschooling: Children's Museum $160, Science Center $60 (and a zoo membership, but we do that every year)

Random field trips throughout the year, and participation in homeschool only events: estimated at around $200 this year.

So NOT cheaper than that year in public school, even counting the field trips, school lunches, and fundraisers.

Quoting kmath:

LOL, yeah, doesn't cost as much as his private school did, but definitely more than public school.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting kmath:

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
That's my point though, if expense is one of your worried about homeschool, it shouldn't be because you CAN do it for a small amount of money.

And yeah you have to clothe your kids either way, but it is spread out over the year better instead of a big "school clothes shopping" event. Uniforms are extra on top of normal clothing, and some of the schools around here that require uniforms don't allow you to purchase most of the items from anywhere because they have to wear specific polos, skirts, etc.

Quoting hipmomto3:

We likely spend more on homeschooling than we'd spend if our children went to public school, even with school supplies and extraneous fees. Usually the "uniform" clothes I see are on sale pretty cheap - like five or six bucks a piece at Target, etc - and you have to clothe your kids whether they are homeschooled or not. I've even thought how nice it would be for my homeschooled kids to wear uniforms because then we wouldn't have to bother with coordinated outfits or anything - just throw something on! But I won't do that to them. :)

I spent around $1500 for this upcoming year's curriculum. We also spend about $800- $1000 on co-op classes per year. We'd have vacations, internet, library late fees, regardless, so I don't count any of that.

Sure, you can do it a lot cheaper, and I would if I had to. It would just require a heck of a lot more of a time commitment from me and I'd also worry a lot more about gaps in their education. Using a prepackaged program, I feel confident that we are covering all bases.

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Uniforms are extra on top of the normal clothing they wear, and some schools like the district I went to don't allow a lot of pieces you may allow at home. (jeans have to be in perfect condition, no shorts or tank tops, etc.)

And if you can afford to and don't mind buying curriculum and spending more, that's fine. But it CAN be done for next to nothing too. The expense was one of our biggest concerns about doing it.

Quoting AutymsMommy: Well, our children still need clothing, so we don't save money there. Curriculum and supplies CAN be pricey, but we're okay with that investment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)