Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling is "too expensive"?

Posted by   + Show Post
Ok, so we all know one of the arguments against or worries about homeschooling is how much it can cost, if one parent stays home, for childcare for kids you wouldn't normally need it for, curriculum, etc. But looking at these supply lists moms are posting, I don't think so! Some middle schools and high schools now are even requiring kids have their own laptops. Plus you have new clothes every year, or uniforms, even in some public schools. School lunches, field trips, favors for class parties, etc. etc.

And of course with groups like this one we HSing moms share ways to save money! If you ever get down thinking HSing is going to be too expensive, just remember these things. =)
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Seriously. I remember having to bring Kleenex even in elementary school but now some lists ask for dry erase markers, copy paper, and I even saw one on here asking for a flat out cash amount!

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

My biggest expense was the ink and the printer paper. I used the internet and that's when it was dial-up. I used Encarta (remember when that came with a new computer?) and several other free programs. I also used some of my old college books. 

I mentioned to my hubby the other day that I was glad that we pulled him out and that I was glad that we did not have a kid in the public school system these days. I think it is disgusting how much money has been taken away from education and teachers. It makes home schooling look more and more appealing. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM

That's not the case here. The schools that require uniforms (the ones in my small suburb town don't, but in the larger city next to us, they do) simply require khaki, navy or black pants, shorts (must be knee length) or skirts, and a solid color polo usually with 3 colors to choose from - like red, white, or blue. These pieces are always on sale at all the major chains in late summer. There's no reason you'd have to buy all of these PLUS all new second-set clothes, too. Most kids get home so late from school that it'd be pointless to change clothes, but even if they did, those would be 'play  clothes' and you can buy whatever secondhand type things you want for that. 

Honestly, I think if I made my kids wear uniforms it'd actually cost us less than buying all of them various outfits and pieces. And I have to buy them new undies, socks, and shoes no matter what. That seems to be where it all really adds up.

Quoting mrs.miller89: Uniforms are extra on top of the normal clothing they wear, and some schools like the district I went to don't allow a lot of pieces you may allow at home. (jeans have to be in perfect condition, no shorts or tank tops, etc.) 

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Like I said in my other reply to you, it can be dine cheaper than that. I spend maybe $200 for the while year on clothing for DD, we've spent maybe $50-$100 so far on prek lessons and supplies and I know that one will go up, paper is not expensive here but ink sure is. Memberships wouldn't be worth it to us because we only go to those places once or twice a year. If you (general) v choose to unschool curriculum is lot less or nothing.

Again, it doesn't bother me if people choose to spend more to homeschool. You get to choose. Not always so with public. (I guess they can't MAKE you pay anything since it's public, but your child would be the one punished for it.)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I know, lol. I'm sitting here adding it up (because of the post)

Normal clothing, because the kids can't run around naked: $200/per season (minimally), times 2 (two school aged children children), 2 seasonal buys (winter/fall and spring/summer) - $800/yearly.

Quality mid-day lunches at home: about $30/weekly for the two school aged children. Assuming 36 weeks in the school year, we'll figure that at $1080/yearly.

Kindergarten curriculum items: $500 this year

7th/8th grade curriculum items: $800 this year

General school and art supplies: $150 this year

Printer ink and paper this year, estimated: $150

Memberships I wouldn't buy if the kids were in brick and mortar, because they apply directly to our homeschooling: Children's Museum $160, Science Center $60 (and a zoo membership, but we do that every year)

Random field trips throughout the year, and participation in homeschool only events: estimated at around $200 this year.

So NOT cheaper than that year in public school, even counting the field trips, school lunches, and fundraisers.

Quoting kmath:

LOL, yeah, doesn't cost as much as his private school did, but definitely more than public school.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I agree that it costs more (our children didn't get free lunch, though). Now, since we had previously done private school for most of dd's education, it doesn't cost more than THAT, but it definitely costs us more to homeschool than it did for her short year stint at public school in 4th grade. Between normal clothing and food purchases, and actual school related purchases (ink, paper, actual curriculum, extra sports that we wouldn't do otherwise, etc)... it adds up. Great investment, in our opinion, but I can't say it's cheaper than public school on any level.

Quoting kmath:

Homeschooling definitely costs me more than PS ever did.  I still have to buy him clothes, I still have to make him lunch (plus he got free lunches at school), I still have to buy supplies, plus field trip costs, and curriculum.  I don't mind spending the money, but it definitely costs me a lot more.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I had a reply typed out, but decided against it.

After all is said and done, whatever floats your boat. As per your other reply to me, I disagree with unschooling in general (although I would never wish to take that right from anybody), so I think that (maybe) we're coming at this from completely different places.

Quoting mrs.miller89: Uniforms are extra on top of the normal clothing they wear, and some schools like the district I went to don't allow a lot of pieces you may allow at home. (jeans have to be in perfect condition, no shorts or tank tops, etc.) And if you can afford to and don't mind buying curriculum and spending more, that's fine. But it CAN be done for next to nothing too. The expense was one of our biggest concerns about doing it.
Quoting AutymsMommy: Well, our children still need clothing, so we don't save money there. Curriculum and supplies CAN be pricey, but we're okay with that investment.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I won't disagree with you on shoes lol.

Like I've said repeatedly, it's all in what you choose to do and are okay with. Right now I choose to buy cheaper "play clothes" as all of her clothes and use as little formal curriculum as I can, but I may change my mind later on. And it's public school, so really some of these costs aren't required, but parents perceive them to be and the children will be punished in one easy or another if they aren't paid.

My point is if your hesitation about homeschooling is the cost, it shouldn't be.

Quoting hipmomto3:

That's not the case here. The schools that require uniforms (the ones in my small suburb town don't, but in the larger city next to us, they do) simply require khaki, navy or black pants, shorts (must be knee length) or skirts, and a solid color polo usually with 3 colors to choose from - like red, white, or blue. These pieces are always on sale at all the major chains in late summer. There's no reason you'd have to buy all of these PLUS all new second-set clothes, too. Most kids get home so late from school that it'd be pointless to change clothes, but even if they did, those would be 'play  clothes' and you can buy whatever secondhand type things you want for that. 

Honestly, I think if I made my kids wear uniforms it'd actually cost us less than buying all of them various outfits and pieces. And I have to buy them new undies, socks, and shoes no matter what. That seems to be where it all really adds up.

Quoting mrs.miller89: Uniforms are extra on top of the normal clothing they wear, and some schools like the district I went to don't allow a lot of pieces you may allow at home. (jeans have to be in perfect condition, no shorts or tank tops, etc.) 

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I was just using unschooling as an example. It's kind of what we're doing while DD is still young, but I don't think it is going to be for us.

But I do you think you're right, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. =)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

After all is said and done, whatever floats your boat. As per your other reply to me, I disagree with unschooling in general (although I would never wish to take that right from anybody), so I think that (maybe) we're coming at this from completely different places.

And if you can afford to and don't mind buying curriculum and spending more, that's fine. But it CAN be done for next to nothing too. The expense was one of our biggest concerns about doing it.

Quoting AutymsMommy: Well, our children still need clothing, so we don't save money there. Curriculum and supplies CAN be pricey, but we're okay with that investment.

SpiritedWitch
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM

It's the government's fault that the supply lists are getting longer and longer. They are stupidly taking more and more funding away from education and teacher pay/benefits. Granted, parents should be helping but without governmental funding, we, as a nation are falling further and further behind other industrialized nations. 

Quoting mrs.miller89: Seriously. I remember having to bring Kleenex even in elementary school but now some lists ask for dry erase markers, copy paper, and I even saw one on here asking for a flat out cash amount!
Quoting SpiritedWitch:

My biggest expense was the ink and the printer paper. I used the internet and that's when it was dial-up. I used Encarta (remember when that came with a new computer?) and several other free programs. I also used some of my old college books. 

I mentioned to my hubby the other day that I was glad that we pulled him out and that I was glad that we did not have a kid in the public school system these days. I think it is disgusting how much money has been taken away from education and teachers. It makes home schooling look more and more appealing. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I don't unschool and pay a pretty penny for curriculum; however, when my oldest was in PS I was shocked by how many times the school asked for me to spend money.  Every single week Zave would come home with a "beg sheet" as I began to call them.  Send money to buy books for the classroom library, extra supplies for the art room,  supplies for the classroom, send snacks and crafts for the Halloween party/ "winter holiday" party/ Valentine's party (and do not make the snacks or crafts to save money), send money for a field trip, gym uniforms, new outfits for the winter holiday play, a school spirit shirt, the requests were endless.  And that doesn't include the guilt letters about this and that charity that no one seemed to vet.  I'm not sure if I spend more or less now, but I certainly feel better knowing that I can budget for my next expenditures which never happened in the PS AND that the payments come around when I expect them.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

After all is said and done, whatever floats your boat. As per your other reply to me, I disagree with unschooling in general (although I would never wish to take that right from anybody), so I think that (maybe) we're coming at this from completely different places

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I agree that they nickle and dime you to death in public (and even tuition based private school). When I add up the nickle and diming, though, it's nowhere near what I spend at home for curriculum and supplies.

Maybe it's exactly what you said, though (that one can budget for curriculum and homeschool supplies), that makes it seem "less" to others (although some may sincerely be spending nothing on homeschool). Being aware of when money is needed is always nice, lol.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I don't unschool and pay a pretty penny for curriculum; however, when my oldest was in PS I was shocked by how many times the school asked for me to spend money.  Every single week Zave would come home with a "beg sheet" as I began to call them.  Send money to buy books for the classroom library, extra supplies for the art room,  supplies for the classroom, send snacks and crafts for the Halloween party/ "winter holiday" party/ Valentine's party (and do not make the snacks or crafts to save money), send money for a field trip, gym uniforms, new outfits for the winter holiday play, a school spirit shirt, the requests were endless.  And that doesn't include the guilt letters about this and that charity that no one seemed to vet.  I'm not sure if I spend more or less now, but I certainly feel better knowing that I can budget for my next expenditures which never happened in the PS AND that the payments come around when I expect them.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

After all is said and done, whatever floats your boat. As per your other reply to me, I disagree with unschooling in general (although I would never wish to take that right from anybody), so I think that (maybe) we're coming at this from completely different places

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mommaof697
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM

13 yrs ago I started my neices and nephew for school. It cost 200 each for clothes (at walmart) and then school supplies were on top of that. I spent about 800 that year on 3 kids (things were cheaper then and some of the things on the list now were not then). I homeschool all 5 kids now for about $1000 for the year.

DEB, wife to wonderful husband and mom to 6 blessings

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN