Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Five In A Row

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:09 AM
  • 6 Replies
So I'm thinking about starting my four year old on "Before Five In A Row" and continuing the series through book 3. After book 3; I'll be switching to Amblesideonline.com.

I'd like some opinions on the curriculum. Is it a good stand alone curriculum. Once he's in Kindergarten should I use a math curriculum with him? Any other things that you did or would do to help the overall curriculum out?

Also to put more of a twist in the story; my son is severely apraxic so he can't really talk much. Will this be a hard curriculum to implement with him because of his inability to talk? Also with the non verbal aspect of this; can anyone offer me any advice on how to teach a non verbal kid?

I'm feeling a little lost despite the fact that I'm going on my 3rd year of homeschooling.
by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Well, FIAR was never meant to be complete - the guide does state that you will need to purchase a math program, handwriting program, and phonics. It would definitely cover science, literature, and history - so in that respect it is a full "content subject program" until about grade 2 (I think it's too light for even core content after grade 2).

We never really got into the swing of it. My kiddo would have rebelled at the idea of reading the same book so many days in a row, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mommaof697
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I guess I would ask do you teach your sign language? If so I think it will work.

For 4 yr olds I taught them how to write their name (if interested) and other letters as wanted, numbers too, colors, shapes, sizes (big little smaller, etc) I was advised by a veteran hser to keep it fun in the early years. I am so glad I did.

My kids loved it. They loved hearing the same story every day and then doing something which tied into the story. They all loved it.

DEB, wife to wonderful husband and mom to 6 blessings

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:15 AM

I'm not teaching him sign language yet. I don't know how so I need to buy him classes and at the moment I don't have a lot of money to do so with. I'm hoping soon the budget will clear up and I'll be able to afford it. Obviously I'm gonna have to change the program a little bit to individualize it since my son has special needs in the speech department. Since there isn't anything mentally wrong with him; I'm thinking that I'm probably just gonna ask him questions and make up answer cards or something for him to point at and show me answers. We're going to practice speech as well. I'm also trying to keep it fun and calm and I think five in a row will be great for that. Guess I'll just critic it as I go and hopefully make it a program that he will be able to use and follow. 

Quoting mommaof697:

I guess I would ask do you teach your sign language? If so I think it will work.

For 4 yr olds I taught them how to write their name (if interested) and other letters as wanted, numbers too, colors, shapes, sizes (big little smaller, etc) I was advised by a veteran hser to keep it fun in the early years. I am so glad I did.

My kids loved it. They loved hearing the same story every day and then doing something which tied into the story. They all loved it.

mommaof697
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I do not think buying sign language classes are necesary just borrow a book from the library or look it up on the internet. My kids went to speech and they taught us a few very basic ones. I never went any farther because they learned to talk but I should have or could have. Some times I wish I did. Shoot there is probably a group in here for that. 

Quoting chotovec82:

I'm not teaching him sign language yet. I don't know how so I need to buy him classes and at the moment I don't have a lot of money to do so with. I'm hoping soon the budget will clear up and I'll be able to afford it. Obviously I'm gonna have to change the program a little bit to individualize it since my son has special needs in the speech department. Since there isn't anything mentally wrong with him; I'm thinking that I'm probably just gonna ask him questions and make up answer cards or something for him to point at and show me answers. We're going to practice speech as well. I'm also trying to keep it fun and calm and I think five in a row will be great for that. Guess I'll just critic it as I go and hopefully make it a program that he will be able to use and follow. 

Quoting mommaof697:

DEB, wife to wonderful husband and mom to 6 blessings

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I am using BFIAR with my daughter this year. She is 4. I am pretty much using it as the spine. I think you can incoprate a lot of different subjects with one book. For example, we will be reading The Carrot Seed. We will also study plants that week, count with seeds and carrrots. Bake something with carrots. Talk about gardening and such.  I will also add some books to help out. My son is taking Botany this year so I plan to coincide his chapter on seeds with this book ;) 

I am using some other things along with it. I'm using a lot from 1+1+1=1 blog. The I can read program and her Bible stuff.

Next year though, if I feel she is ready, I will add a "real" math program along with it. My son loves Horizon math so I'll probaly stick with that. I have no idea what I will use next year yet though. (though I'm already thinking about it lol)

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I am using BFIAR with my daughter this year. She is 4. I am pretty much using it as the spine. I think you can incoprate a lot of different subjects with one book. For example, we will be reading The Carrot Seed. We will also study plants that week, count with seeds and carrrots. Bake something with carrots. Talk about gardening and such.  I will also add some books to help out. My son is taking Botany this year so I plan to coincide his chapter on seeds with this book ;) 

I am using some other things along with it. I'm using a lot from 1+1+1=1 blog. The I can read program and her Bible stuff.

Next year though, if I feel she is ready, I will add a "real" math program along with it. My son loves Horizon math so I'll probaly stick with that. I have no idea what I will use next year yet though. (though I'm already thinking about it lol)

Do you think it'll be hard to teach him with these books since he's basically non-verbal?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN