Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Life of Fred as a complete curriculum

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM
  • 6 Replies
I was discussing with another group whether LOF was a complete curriculum and it started me thinking. I personally feel it is lacking in some key areas. We use it at least 3 times per week as a supplement among many others. We absolutely love it. When my son asked to stop TT we used it for a few weeks until our math u see came. I supplemented quite a bit with it. If you feel it is not complete what do you feel is necessary for it to be a complete curriculum?
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 1:18 AM

I don't think that LOF is a complete curriculum. It's nice and the boys take things away from it but I don't feel that they learn complete concepts using it. I like the way MUS is set up. LOF is an awesome supplement, IMO.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:58 AM
When I first used it, I followed the authors advice that this was a stand alone curriculum. Then had to add practice worksheets with the Key to Fractions set. Only to find later that my kids had zero concept of fractions. Two separate curriculums and my kids couldn't simplify a fraction. LOF targets such a small minority of learners that its not even worth it to me to try to even tweak it.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM
I agree and use MUS with LOF and love it. I think for my boys LOF is a nice supplement. I think as long as your kids enjoy it can be a great supplement or summer activity.

Quoting chotovec82:

I don't think that LOF is a complete curriculum. It's nice and the boys take things away from it but I don't feel that they learn complete concepts using it. I like the way MUS is set up. LOF is an awesome supplement, IMO.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 4:58 PM
Not complete by a long shot
Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

We use it to supplement Singapore math. I definitely would not consider it a complete curriculum. It's more like a fun extra here. She gets a chapter for fun if she's been doing well on her regular lessons. There is no way I would be comfortable using only LOF.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I could see using it as a complete curriculum if I added a lot of practice to it that I made up myself and covered at least a chapter a day.

Instead we use it to supplement MUS.  It's the practice that's missing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)