Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I hope I made the right decision...

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

My 6yo DD is....difficult. We're in the process of evaluating, but suspicions are ADHD, SPD, and possibly OCD. I have been going crazy lately with her and just always feeling like I need a break. Recently I even started considering sending her to ps. I love homeschooling, she loves homeschooling, and she's doing great. But there's still more to it than that and I don't want it hurting our relationship.

Then I heard about a charter school nearby that was opening up a new electives day option. I went to the informational meeting, and came home and enrolled her immediately. We will homeschool 4 days a week. One day a week she will go to the school meeting place, from 9:30 to 3:15. She will have 5 classes, all electives, so I'm still over academics.

Also, they will buy our curriculum for us if we enroll fully, which I did. You don't have to do that part, but then you don't get priority on classes. They purchase any approved core curriculum (and they are working hard to get everything we're each using approved), electives, supplies, and a laptop. The flip side is that I'm now accountable to them. I live in a very low reg state. We just say "I'm homeschooling" and that's that. One time ever, even. Now I will be reporting to her charter school every month. We have to have an "educational plan" with her teacher, submit work samples, and submit to end of year testing.They'll be tracking our hours/days, and checking that we're remaining on the schedule they help us create.

I'm so nervous about this. She's in "the system" now and I HATE submitting to the oversight. If I were in a high reg state I would fly under the radar. I'm trying to accept this as it's something we CHOSE to enroll in and it's all to the charter, not the state (except the testing, which is to prove to the state they deserve to keep funding). But I'm still second guessing myself.

Then I think of the whole day every week that I will get a break from my high needs, always within 3 feet of me, ALWAYS talking, ALWAYS moving, handful of a daughter and I think it will all be worth it.

Am I crazy? This is good for us, right?

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 6:32 AM

let us know how it goes! I know there is a privaate school aroudn here that doesn toeh one day of electives for homeschoolers and I really did not think it was too expensive for an entire year. Unfortunately, they stop at grade 4, and I didn't hear about it till half way thru last year and we're too old this year.

Do you mind if I ask what state and do you know the name of the charter operators?

Publics and charters in my state do not offer any parttial enrollment. 

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Quoting Chasing3:

let us know how it goes! I know there is a privaate school aroudn here that doesn toeh one day of electives for homeschoolers and I really did not think it was too expensive for an entire year. Unfortunately, they stop at grade 4, and I didn't hear about it till half way thru last year and we're too old this year.

Do you mind if I ask what state and do you know the name of the charter operators?

Publics and charters in my state do not offer any parttial enrollment. 

I will! This one is publically funded so it's completely free. I am in Utah. PM me if you're in this area and still want the name of the place, I don't want to pinpoint too closely where my DD will be every week on a public forum ;)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM
I would give it a shot and if it doesn't work out then you can always stop doing it. It it works then you found a balance that works for you. My boys take classes at co-op. It is good for them and me. There is nothing wrong with needing a break.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM

im in Mass. I know another mom who is able to enroll part time to a virtual school  (state pays) and then her dd is also able to be in the school plays and the music program at the high school in her town. She is in Washington state. There is no flexibility like that here. But my big motivation is to not have to teach to the state tests, so I don't know if I'd be interested if it meant having to take the new parcc tests here.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM
I'm not thrilled about that part but I figure I have time to wait and see. It's the SAGE test she'll have to take and it starts in third grade. She's only first this year so we have two years that it won't much matter what we do since there's no testing. All she has to do now is reading dibels. I don't know anything about them other than it's to do with reading. She's reading on a fourth grade level so I'm not too fussed.

When we get to third we can decide if it's worth it to continue. I will not alter what I'm teaching or my plan in order to teach to the state test. So if what I have planned out is acceptable then a test at the end wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If they don't accept my third grade plan and expect alterations, then we'll drop. But that's two years away.

Quoting Chasing3:

im in Mass. I know another mom who is able to enroll part time to a virtual school  (state pays) and then her dd is also able to be in the school plays and the music program at the high school in her town. She is in Washington state. There is no flexibility like that here. But my big motivation is to not have to teach to the state tests, so I don't know if I'd be interested if it meant having to take the new parcc tests here.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I did a similar program for my kids a few years ago where they paid for the curriculum after it was approved for you to homeschool.  Having to send an education plan, submit work samples, and give a weekly report of what we did.  It got to be too much between that and my job and own schooling and little help from DH on it (you know, the parent who actually was home and knew what was going on...)  By the second semester, I'd had enough and the kids were back in public school.  Now they are homeschooled again, but not through the charter.  Buying my own curriculum is cheap compared to being under someone else's thumb.  (We also tried K12, but that was a disaster--we tend to like to move at our own pace.  If they are going to do something on someone else's schedule, might as well send them to school.)

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 9:16 PM
I'm hoping it doesn't become too much for me. I would rather pay for curriculum myself than have to report to them, so that's just a bonus. Why I enrolled was for class priority. If you just want to do the electives you have to wait and see if there's room and you may or may not even get a slot at all, let alone class choice.

They talked a lot about wanting to be as flexible as possible and to work it so they take the brunt of the state requirements and we're able to continue doing things our way. We'll see how that really plays out.

Quoting sweetfox3:

I did a similar program for my kids a few years ago where they paid for the curriculum after it was approved for you to homeschool.  Having to send an education plan, submit work samples, and give a weekly report of what we did.  It got to be too much between that and my job and own schooling and little help from DH on it (you know, the parent who actually was home and knew what was going on...)  By the second semester, I'd had enough and the kids were back in public school.  Now they are homeschooled again, but not through the charter.  Buying my own curriculum is cheap compared to being under someone else's thumb.  (We also tried K12, but that was a disaster--we tend to like to move at our own pace.  If they are going to do something on someone else's schedule, might as well send them to school.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
40Jamieful
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM
I hope that you will make some homeschooling friends at the charter. That will make it easier. You could go on picnics and field trips together. We did a charter school in California one year. With my other commitments plus having health issues, I just couldn't deal with more appointments, so after that year, I homeschool through a private satellite school. I have more freedom and not a lot of appointments, but I do have to record what we do. I have heard that there are some PSPs that do not require such rigorous record keeping asthe one I have been using, and I might switch sometime. I don't really trust myself to go completely independent here in this state, I am afraid that I will not do the paperwork perfectly on my own. The charter school should be of assistance if your daughter is diagnosed with something. That's awesome that she can read so well!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)