Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you plan, and then tell your kids what they need to do?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM
  • 32 Replies

I can take our cirriculum choices and have a plan, but then how I get that plan to my kids keeps changing because I can't seem to find the best way to do that. 

I want my kids (6th and 7th grades) to be more independent and accountable, but I still need to guide them.  I know someone that emails her kids a list in the morning.  I have tried using a teacher type planner but that was difficult for my younger because there was too much written on there.  I tried making lists with boxes they could check off, I tried computer printed tables.  I ended up writing each subject on one sticky note for my younger, which helped her but was very time consuming for me and I didn't always have it ready when she was ready to start.

I am considering writing each subject for each kid in notebooks (1 subject per kid in each notebook)...but that is a lot of notebooks if it ends up not working.  But it would help to have assignments just outlined and they could just do next on the list in case we need to review or take a day off or something.

So, what do you do?  How well does it work?

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I had them help me pick out materials. If the materials didn't work for them it was their job to find a low or no cost alternative way of studying that subject.

Then I had them calculate from our start date to our testing day how much and how often they needed to do things.

I made them accountable for turning in everything by Thursday at 5 p.m. If they did that they could keep any schedule they wanted as long as they maintained a good attitude, did what was expected inside and outside the home and didn't wake anyone. It worked pretty well. We took Fridays off for fun.

But the closer they are to having been in public or private school the more hand holding you are going to have to do unless you deschool maybe.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM
A giant white board divided into columns and categories with electrical tape. Each kid got a column and I could write the weeks assignments and they could wipe it off as they finished them. It was their job to go to the board. It works as long as I'm willing to plan a week in advance. The problem is with me. I'm not a planner.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Instead of a plan I have goals. I write our goals on our white board. If my kids ask politely and want to make changes then we talk about it and come up with an arrangement that works for us both. I put together everything we are doing for each subject. Goals are more movable for me. In my planner I then write down what we did that day instead of what we are going to do. My kid love being able to see our goals on white board and checking them off. I do the same thing for chores. I prefer writing down daily goals.
JadeTigr7
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM
I do a lesson planner online, previously in a teachers planner. Then I go through the subjects I've planned out for the day.

I have a small board I write an overview of our plans for the year, and then a larger board I write each child's daily work on. Then we all know what's supposed to be happening and when.
anzm33
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:44 AM
I do the goal approach I have our weekly goals (what needs done) written out.. I hang it up and my daughter knows if she does it and gets it done in 4 days then shes got a 3 day weekend if not we will have a 5 day school week and sometimes have had to do 6 days depending on how hard the material is. For the most part she is independent but I walk through each new lesson concept with her. This seems to work for us. (I have all my lessons planned and weekly goals made before the start of each school year *180 days/4 day weeks* so I am done and know if we are moving ahead or falling behind the 4 day weeks I planned so that she has makeup days available if shes falling behind or does not quite grasp a concept we just simply extend the week :) my kids both love learning ones in 4th one I will start pre-k with since her interest levels high.. I have to force them to take breaks/days off and still find them doing worksheets or going over prior concepts lol )
jjchick75
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM
We do notebooks go each subject. The first page is just an outline of what needs to be done that week. Then we have a divider for each day with everything they need behind it. It works great for us.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM

We have a set of folders on the wall.  Each folder has a tag in it (along with the work they need to do or a note telling them the work) that has Velcro on the back.  When they finish the work assigned, they stick the Velcro tag on their work board.  Then when I check the work, I exchange their colored tag (different color for each kid) for a red tag.  When their board is covered in red tags, they are done for the day.  Their board has 12 spaces for tags. Then I can write up what they did in their planner to use as my book log and attendance sheet for their records.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM
What about a student planner?
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:26 AM
I was thinking of doing student planners, but I have to first plan what they should be doing, then have them write it I guess. Some things are easy for them to plan (spelling and math we mostly just do the next lesson/activity). But for science and history I have to plan what to do each day. And some days we don't get to all subjects or something changes...so I thought maybe if I write those subjects more as day 1, day 2...rather than an actual date...I could do this in a notebook and they could just add the next day to their own planners.

We don't have any accountability to the state for days/times etc, so I don't have to have a super detailed record, but I like there to be something. Part of the problem is we just finished our first year hsing so I know they had a lot of hand holding in ps for a long time. It's hard for them to understand they need to learn accountability so I'm trying to find the balance of them being independent and accountable but not having my expectations too high for them to meet.

Quoting Dawn07: What about a student planner?
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM
The both went to public school from pre k through 4th/5th grades. Then we deschooled over the summer and now we have completed one year of hsing. Our first year was fairly laid back and their test scores weren't quite as expected. So I know I need to try harder this year and with them being middle school ages I want them to be more accountable as well.

I love how much responsibility you gave your kids, but I don't think mine are ready for that much since they had a lot of hand holding in ps.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I had them help me pick out materials. If the materials didn't work for them it was their job to find a low or no cost alternative way of studying that subject.

Then I had them calculate from our start date to our testing day how much and how often they needed to do things.

I made them accountable for turning in everything by Thursday at 5 p.m. If they did that they could keep any schedule they wanted as long as they maintained a good attitude, did what was expected inside and outside the home and didn't wake anyone. It worked pretty well. We took Fridays off for fun.

But the closer they are to having been in public or private school the more hand holding you are going to have to do unless you deschool maybe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)