Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you plan, and then tell your kids what they need to do?

Posted by   + Show Post

I can take our cirriculum choices and have a plan, but then how I get that plan to my kids keeps changing because I can't seem to find the best way to do that. 

I want my kids (6th and 7th grades) to be more independent and accountable, but I still need to guide them.  I know someone that emails her kids a list in the morning.  I have tried using a teacher type planner but that was difficult for my younger because there was too much written on there.  I tried making lists with boxes they could check off, I tried computer printed tables.  I ended up writing each subject on one sticky note for my younger, which helped her but was very time consuming for me and I didn't always have it ready when she was ready to start.

I am considering writing each subject for each kid in notebooks (1 subject per kid in each notebook)...but that is a lot of notebooks if it ends up not working.  But it would help to have assignments just outlined and they could just do next on the list in case we need to review or take a day off or something.

So, what do you do?  How well does it work?

by on Jul. 19, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Replies (31-32):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM
This... very much this. I have four kids, too. As home schoolers, we wear many hats. I'm not belittling teachers in school or anything. They work hard too, just in diff ways. But my point is, I'm not just a first grade teacher... I'm also a toddler trainer, 5th grade teacher, and 7th grade teacher. I'm also the janitor, the counselor, the reading teacher, the LD teacher, the biology lab teacher, the art instructor, the bus driver, ....
anyway, in order to do these things, we must train our kids to be more responsible for themselves and their part in their education. Ill make a second reply to this post explaining how I am HOPING to manage it this year.

Quoting mem82: I have four kids. I do expect my older two to be a little self directed, honestly. If they aren't, there is no way I would be able to give quality education to an 8th grader, 4th grader, Kinder and ayoung preschooler. I am always available, and do still run the show, especially with Math, but them being able to at least start reading a chapter or whatever without me is a God send.

Quoting MamaDearie: I feel like I am missing something. I sincerely mean no offense to anyone but am very curious why you all want your children to be so independent at these ages. I have a 10 year old son who I think of as very responsible and conscientious and I've never felt the need to make him do all of his schoolwork without any input or direction from me.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:08 AM
So...we have upped the ante this yr with two kids in middle school and the eldest of those only two yrs from high school.

First, I appreciate unschoolers and more laid back approaches to schooling. This is not us, however.

This year, I've made weekly excel spreadsheets for each student. Along the top is days of week and down the side are the possible subjects with core subjects listed first. I live in a state that asks me to keep a log of hours, so I put that at the very bottom to tally at the end of the day.

The kids have so many classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays that we decided to only practice music and do bible and chores these days.

I went ahead and filled out whatever "regular" stuff needed completed on what days. No, I didn't write down actual lessons, but just wrote say "R&S English" on the three or four days we decided to do our Rod and Staff English. Somedays, I wrote "double" down to indicate we need to do a double lesson (like Mondays).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)