Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling Newbie-Building a curriculum

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM
  • 21 Replies

Hi ladies! I have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader and this will be our first year homeschooling and to say I'm nervous and overwhelmed would be an understatement, lol. Do you all have any advice or tips, mainly on building my own curriculum for them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:57 AM
3 moms liked this

I think it's very normal to be nervous and overwhelmed.  I'm still fairly new, this is my second year, and today I'm fighting off the anxiety attacks.  Find out your state standards, use a book like Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year, write out what each of your kids is "supposed" to learn throughout the year.  Pinterest is an awesome resource for finding ways to teach things.  I'm busy printing off a bunch of stuff for math for this week.  Also, cater to your kids' interests.  Life cycles (as an example) can be taught using numerous examples, but it'll stick more if they're examples that mean something to your kids.

jolieluvlee
by New Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!! 

Quoting hwblyf:

I think it's very normal to be nervous and overwhelmed.  I'm still fairly new, this is my second year, and today I'm fighting off the anxiety attacks.  Find out your state standards, use a book like Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year, write out what each of your kids is "supposed" to learn throughout the year.  Pinterest is an awesome resource for finding ways to teach things.  I'm busy printing off a bunch of stuff for math for this week.  Also, cater to your kids' interests.  Life cycles (as an example) can be taught using numerous examples, but it'll stick more if they're examples that mean something to your kids.

anzm33
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Im newer too a pre-k and 4th I get my sanity from the youtube homeschool moms who are always posting videos and blogs just take a deep breath from what I have been told by many its really hard to go wrong just have to figure out what works best for you and your child and sometimes thats through trial and error.. to eliminate this trial and error as much as possible figure out what learning styles match your children and that will help narrow down your curriculum options and go from there :)
4wildbeasts
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
The first thing I did was figure which homeschool philosophy fit us best (classical, Charlotte Mason, unschooling, ect...).
sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Figure out your philosophy.  Are you the type who wants everything laid out, scope and sequence and you just follow the plan or do you like to come up with your own?  What does your budget look like?  (You do not have to tell me that--just questions to get you thinking--and can help with weeding out too-expensive curriculums).  Do you want lessons that involve a lot of parental input or more self-teaching?  Textbooks and workbooks based or literature based?  What is important to you for them to learn?  Having two kids on different levels can be a challenge, but there are some lessons they can do together--such as history, art, and science.  I like things that are leveled...when you finish level 1, proceed to level 2 and so on.

This site has some good ideas on building curriculum:  http://www.tinasdynamichomeschoolplus.com/2013/08/04/day-17-how-to-choose-curriculum-other-than-the-looks-good-method-31-day-boot-camp-for-new-homeschoolers-on-my-blog/

Concentrate mostly on a good language arts and math curriculum.  It matters the order which reading and math are taught (must know the sounds letters represent and quantities numbers represent before we can read or add...)  It does not matter if the children learn about whales or desert plants first.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
We use curriculum for Math and LA
I put together my own science and history. I pick my own books to use and my kids have a journal we use for all subjects. I pick projects for what we are studying.
jolieluvlee
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate you all replying and giving great tips and advice. 

LadyBugMom09
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:19 AM
I'm barely starting too. I'm using Abeka, easy peasey homeschool (free), lots of free printables too online if you google for PreK and K, haven't decided what science yet.
sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

For my 7th grader, I am using Learning Language Arts through Literature (green book) and the Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra, Mapping the World with Art, and ScienceFusion 6-8 grade modules (a series of books A-K).  For my kindergartener and sixth grader (who are both nonverbal autistic and I fear my elder child's education was neglected in his special education classrooms, so I have no idea where he is) I am getting developmental math level 1 and foundations of English Logic, level A.  My goal for the end of the year is that my two younger children are able to read and write and work simple math problems.  

MamaLauri
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 9:27 AM

You need to meet the minimum National Standards. 

http://www.4mylearn.org/EducationStandards.html provides an overview of the  

Common Core State Standards for math and english arts;

Next Generation Science Standards; College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework for Social Studies State Standards and links to the official sites.  Today, only the Common Core is mandated by most states. The social studies and science standards are more recent, so not all states require them, but are expected in the near future, so it is wise to teach to these.

The following links provide summaries of the standards:

http://www.4mylearn.org/CCSS-Math.html

http://www.4mylearn.org/CCSS-ELA.html

http://www.4mylearn.org/NEXT_GENERATION_SCIENCE_STANDARDS.html

http://www.4mylearn.org/C3_FRAMEWORK_FOR_SOCIAL_STUDIES.html

Brain cardio games and activities can be found at http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html

A multisensory program for dyslexia and dyscalculia is rolling out there also, but the lesson plans are not out yet. You can ask, if you have questions. These are great for all kids, but incorporate what is essential for those with learning challenges.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN