Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling Newbie-Building a curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ladies! I have a 1st grader and a 3rd grader and this will be our first year homeschooling and to say I'm nervous and overwhelmed would be an understatement, lol. Do you all have any advice or tips, mainly on building my own curriculum for them. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
Kelsomomma711
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 3:21 PM

my daughter will be 3 in october, i really wanna homeschool using a christian based curriculum like horizons. how early is too early? she already knows her shapes, colors, animals, animal sounds, counts to 20, most of her abcs, visually recognizes most numbers and letters, etc. are there programs for 3 yo? 

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome jolieluvlee,  How To Home School talks about the different methods used by home educators, and gives you resources to write your own.

sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Studies have shown there is no real advantage to early emphasis on academics...I would do a play-based and story-based curriculum for her.  A lot of hands-on stuff and things to encourage her imagination.  Horizons does have a preschool curriculum, but I do not know how "intense" it is academically, but from looking at the description, it seems to have a lot of stories and singing.  You could get it and try it part time--take 2 years to cover it if need be before moving onto kindergarten.

Quoting Kelsomomma711:

my daughter will be 3 in october, i really wanna homeschool using a christian based curriculum like horizons. how early is too early? she already knows her shapes, colors, animals, animal sounds, counts to 20, most of her abcs, visually recognizes most numbers and letters, etc. are there programs for 3 yo? 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

We LOVE Handwriting Without Tears!!

jolieluvlee
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:50 AM

I'm definitely utilizing Easy Peasy along with a bajillion worksheets I've found online as well lol.

Quoting LadyBugMom09: I'm barely starting too. I'm using Abeka, easy peasey homeschool (free), lots of free printables too online if you google for PreK and K, haven't decided what science yet.

jolieluvlee
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Quoting MamaLauri:

You need to meet the minimum National Standards. 

http://www.4mylearn.org/EducationStandards.html provides an overview of the  

Common Core State Standards for math and english arts;

Next Generation Science Standards; College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework for Social Studies State Standards and links to the official sites.  Today, only the Common Core is mandated by most states. The social studies and science standards are more recent, so not all states require them, but are expected in the near future, so it is wise to teach to these.

The following links provide summaries of the standards:

http://www.4mylearn.org/CCSS-Math.html

http://www.4mylearn.org/CCSS-ELA.html

http://www.4mylearn.org/NEXT_GENERATION_SCIENCE_STANDARDS.html

http://www.4mylearn.org/C3_FRAMEWORK_FOR_SOCIAL_STUDIES.html

Brain cardio games and activities can be found at http://www.4mylearn.org/Bookshelf/FunGames.html

A multisensory program for dyslexia and dyscalculia is rolling out there also, but the lesson plans are not out yet. You can ask, if you have questions. These are great for all kids, but incorporate what is essential for those with learning challenges.

Jlee4249
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine are K/1st & 3rd grade... We make our own, too.  I start with a "scope & sequence"... There are a bunch you can find online.  Just to get an idea of where you need to be.  I love the E.D.Hirsch books "What your ___grader needs to know".  They're a bit easier to use as a scope/sequence type... It has book lists included to supplement the topics.  Starting out, I wouldn't feel too bad if you use the book (or one of the many grade-by-grade books out there) as a complete curriculum, but you may want to add a bit to each topic, by way of your local library, videos, documentaries, etc...once you get your feet wet, of course ;) I love the ideas from pinterest AND unit studies and notebooking.  Basically, your local library will be your best friend... Once you get an idea of your weekly to-do, gather the books you can find on the topic and go for it.

just know that beyond your state requirements, there's no wrong way to do this... Morning/night, weekends, printouts or construction paper cut outs, school room or dining room table or even at the computer...Whatever works for you.  Plus, know going in that it could very well take a full school year (or more) before you finally find what works for you and your family.  Everyone's different.  Don't give up!  Best wishes!

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM
I wish someone would have introduced me to Amblesideonline.com two years ago. I think this site offers the best curriculum that you can find for free. However you do have to find a few subjects on your own but the creators give you a few options for those subjects.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:47 AM
Do you mind religious curric??? Do you have a little bit of funds??

I want to 1000% suggest My Fathers World (the Adventures package) it would be so much fun to do it together with a 1st and 3rd grader. Add in some handwriting with them both and then a math for both a phonics for the kindy and english for the older.

My suggestions are this...

M F W Adventures
Rod and staff english 3
Math u see for each
handwriting without tears for each
Phonics of some kind. I would have to defer to others on suggestions as my kit is out of date.
)
BrittO2
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM

We have a 1st and 3rd grader this year also. As others have already said, start by researching your state laws. Some states have subject requirements and some don't.  Some subjects they can do together like science, history, art, music, pe, health(you may not be required to teach all those) really just english/reading and math need to be separate.  That should hopefully simplify your day a little. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN