Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

please help

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM
  • 40 Replies
My son is 5 and was supposed to start kinder this year. Well, we lost his shot records and they are making us do his shots all over again and since he won't be all caught up until December they probably won't let him register for school. Some arizona law that I cant remember. I asked if we could just get an exemption from the shots and was told no.

So just in case they will not allow my son in I was hoping you ladies could give me some advice on how to get started with homeschooling? Just some of the hundreds of questions I have are; how do I register him? What types of curriculums would you suggest? How in the world do I go about this? Lol, I'm stressing out if you cannot tell
by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM
2 moms liked this
If the school is a public school than they can't refuse an exemption form and they have to accept him. Arizona has 3 to choose from, religious, medical, and philosophical.
Also shouldn't the doctor have those things written in the child's records?
As for as registering him, you'll need to look into your state's laws. Some states don't require anything until a certain age.
happymama0609
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 7:19 PM
We live on an army base, the doctor told me no shots means no school. We moved across the country and lost the records. His old doctors office said they no longer had them. He only needed the shots to start school, but we had to start over in June. He also gets really bad reactions to the shots so we have to split them all up or he could have a seizure. It all really just blows.

I did look the az laws and it said that you register your kids at ages 6 and up, so we might not have to register him at all.

Quoting Dawn07: If the school is a public school than they can't refuse an exemption form and they have to accept him. Arizona has 3 to choose from, religious, medical, and philosophical.
As for as registering him, you'll need to look into your state's laws. Some states don't require anything until a certain age.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 7:37 PM
2 moms liked this
I have no personal experience with an army base but civilian wise I would have called the dr's bluff. Sorry you're in that situation.
Yes, since he doesn't need to be registered until 6, you don't have to worry about anything. Curriculum wise I don't know what you're looking for (Christian, secular, ect.) but Kindergarten is still a lot of hands on/play interaction. The book What My Kindergartner Needs To Know has a good guideline if you want to get an idea or to piece your own together.

Quoting happymama0609: We live on an army base, the doctor told me no shots means no school. We moved across the country and lost the records. His old doctors office said they no longer had them. He only needed the shots to start school, but we had to start over in June. He also gets really bad reactions to the shots so we have to split them all up or he could have a seizure. It all really just blows.

I did look the az laws and it said that you register your kids at ages 6 and up, so we might not have to register him at all.

Quoting Dawn07: If the school is a public school than they can't refuse an exemption form and they have to accept him. Arizona has 3 to choose from, religious, medical, and philosophical.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:10 PM

If you are on the Army base, was your pediatrician not at the base medical facility? They keep the records there at the immunization office. Since he has a bad reaction to the shots there's no way I would have him immunized again, there's got to be another way. Can you do a tider test?

JadeTigr7
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:13 PM
1 mom liked this

On post schools have to follow state laws.  Whoever told you they won't take exemptions is lying.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I would definitely not subject my child to a second round of shots unnecessarily. I would get blood titers done (ask your pediatrician's office) to prove immunity to whatever specific diseases the school is concerned about. OR, I'd file an exemption and forget the whole thing (though having the proof may come in handy later in his life).

happymama0609
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM
No, our ped was a civilian doctor. They said he is too young for the tider test and that nothing would show on it. It is a big ol cluster f---. We started the immunizations again, but are taking it slow and steady. One or 2 shots at a time. They keep trying to give him 4 or 5 at a time. It is infuriating!

Quoting Molimomma:

If you are on the Army base, was your pediatrician not at the base medical facility? They keep the records there at the immunization office. Since he has a bad reaction to the shots there's no way I would have him immunized again, there's got to be another way. Can you do a tider test?

happymama0609
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM
They said he was too young to do the test :/. If they give me a hard time at the school Tuesday, I will either fight tooth and nail for the exemption or home school and slowly get the shots up to date.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I would definitely not subject my child to a second round of shots unnecessarily. I would get blood titers done (ask your pediatrician's office) to prove immunity to whatever specific diseases the school is concerned about. OR, I'd file an exemption and forget the whole thing (though having the proof may come in handy later in his life).

happymama0609
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Thank you

Quoting JadeTigr7:

On post schools have to follow state laws.  Whoever told you they won't take exemptions is lying.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 8:42 PM

There's supposedly an online system where information about immunizations can be put in. I came across it when I was trying to find out about what immunizations my son needs for this year. Maybe the information was input into there, and you can somehow get ahold of it.

I just went through my history and found it. It's state specific but maybe you can see if Arizona has something similar:

http://cairweb.org/wheres-my-immunization-record/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN