Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do your chidren say......

Posted by   + Show Post
What do your children say when asked what grade they are in?
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Replies (21-25):
rissapurdue
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I had to coach my 5 yr old on this after she got into an argument with some ps 2nd graders. She's been doing 1st grade math so she told them she was in 1st and they said she couldn't be since she was 5. So I told her it was probably easier to just say she is homeschooled since she doesn't fit into one grade.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Mine tell them what grade they are in because we use a full curriculum which determines their grade level.  The problem comes when people ask if they are excited about school starting again.  We are still "in school" and will break in October.  LOL  People think we are odd, but this works for our family.

ladyofnight
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I know that feeling lol.  My oldest looks at me and says, "4th or 5th grade mom?" he's technically in 4th, but is doing work at least 1-2 grades above him. Science he's doing 5th or 6th grade work. My youngest who is going into 2nd grade but is doing the same scienece, social studies, and english as his brother. so i don't know. the only thing my youngest is actually behind in, is reading and writing. my oldest still struggles with writing due to dexterity issues, but otherwise, he is outstanding. :)  We're constantly challenging them. they we are going to do a quick review on the evolution of the alphabet, and move on from D. They came to ME wanting to learn that. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Mine usually look at me to answer for them.  My oldest has taken to saying "Oh somewhere between 3rd and 8th grade" and laughing.  He spent a week at camp and kept asking his counselor: "Uh, what grade is a nine year old again?"

Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
The grade that corresponds with their age. It's just easier.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Yep.  With Reading, he's in 8th grade.  Science he's doing some 4th and some 8th.  Math He's doing MUS Delta which is around 4th grade (where his age puts him) but it's going to cover long division which our PS does in 5th grade.  When he goes to co-op starting in the fall, he'll have to tell them the right grade level for each core subject so they can place him in the appropriate homework help groups.  After a few months in co-op, he's completely confused about which grade he's in.

Quoting ladyofnight:

I know that feeling lol.  My oldest looks at me and says, "4th or 5th grade mom?" he's technically in 4th, but is doing work at least 1-2 grades above him. Science he's doing 5th or 6th grade work. My youngest who is going into 2nd grade but is doing the same scienece, social studies, and english as his brother. so i don't know. the only thing my youngest is actually behind in, is reading and writing. my oldest still struggles with writing due to dexterity issues, but otherwise, he is outstanding. :)  We're constantly challenging them. they we are going to do a quick review on the evolution of the alphabet, and move on from D. They came to ME wanting to learn that. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Mine usually look at me to answer for them.  My oldest has taken to saying "Oh somewhere between 3rd and 8th grade" and laughing.  He spent a week at camp and kept asking his counselor: "Uh, what grade is a nine year old again?"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)