Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How to make teaching Space interesting...for me?!

Posted by   + Show Post

Cole wants to do Space and we will. It's just that I seriously have no interest in doing it. We've done it a little bit before. Now that he's older, he has really taken an interest in it. 

So...

Any interesting ideas for Space? (All of it, any of it, astronauts, planets, whatever?)

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Replies (11-19):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM
Maybe chart the moon phases and take a sleeping bag and talk about the solar system under the glow of the moon. You can make chart of all the planets moon. You can learn about absolute zero and how cold it us in outer space. There is so much to do. I am a sci fi nut so I love space. You are getting me excited about it now. LOL

Quoting mem82: Are own. He wants to know it all. Lol what 9yo doesn't, though.

Quoting jen2150: Are you following a specific Curriculum or your own? Any specific topics? Did you want to choose a specific central project? What is the age of your son?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:05 PM

You and my husband SMH lol

I think if I hadn't done it with my oldest once or twice and with this son once when he was younger I wouldn't be so meh.

Quoting jen2150: Maybe chart the moon phases and take a sleeping bag and talk about the solar system under the glow of the moon. You can make chart of all the planets moon. You can learn about absolute zero and how cold it us in outer space. There is so much to do. I am a sci fi nut so I love space. You are getting me excited about it now. LOL
Quoting mem82: Are own. He wants to know it all. Lol what 9yo doesn't, though.
Quoting jen2150: Are you following a specific Curriculum or your own? Any specific topics? Did you want to choose a specific central project? What is the age of your son?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Yes, and apologia is young earth.

Quoting mem82: Is that religion based? Even though I am Christian, I only use secular materials.

Quoting KrissyKC: Apologia covers astronomy. Have you used any of their material?
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
You HAVE to order astronaut freeze dried ice cream and drink tang.

ripemango
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM

off the top of my head is neil degrasse tyson's cosmos that i think is still streaming for free on fox's website, plus similar type things on netflix streaming.

http://www.kidsastronomy.com/

http://mrnussbaum.com/space-2/

http://www.esa.int/esaKIDSen/ = awesome site

google space for kids...a ton pops up.

if it were me...i'd focus on really cool topics like dark matter, light year (what it means and how that translates into travel), finding a planet like Earth (what we're looking for and why), etc. I'm a space nerd tho :p

i think a christmas present telescope may be in order as well :)

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 6:14 AM
We've had it from the USAF Museum. The kids hated it.

Quoting KrissyKC: You HAVE to order astronaut freeze dried ice cream and drink tang.

kquad
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:18 AM

It's not really quickly coming up, but in 2017 there is an eclipse coming up.  My husband is a physicist and thinks it's the coolest thing since it only happens every so many years (like 20).  It will only be visible in a strip across the US.  It might be a cool thing to study that can tie in geology and even physics (the optics and where it will be visible and why)...  Also one of those cool things that you might be able to plan a field trip to include (though near us hotels are already booked for the big day) 

I'd also go with other things that you can tie in other subjects that interest you.   Geography of Mars?  The Composition of a meterorite?  Chemistry of the atmostphere of each planet?

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 7:23 AM
Make a planet system and star box?
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:43 AM

We did lots of large scale projects just recently. 
We made an "asteroid" out of dry ice, regular ice, dirt, and rocks in  bucket that we froze for a few days, then watched melt
We did a to scale chalk drawing of the solar system in the street (we don't live on a busy street, and it took about a week...planning that with the year's crazy weather was torture & I think we used this or something similar to make sidewalk chalk paint so we weren't sitting there coloring with an enormous pile of yellow and orange chalk for the sun lol: http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2013/07/diy-sidewalk-chalk-paint-fun-frugal.html
We reinacted the first trip to the moon - both the walk on the moon, and the news coverage. We did a newspaper article that would have most likely appeared on the front page sort of thing, and video taped a news cast, then ran it through filters on the computer to make it look old
We made our own aliens - taking that attributes of each planet, what would an alein most likely look like if it lived there. Jamie drew some, she sculpted some, she painted some...They were all given names and life stories lol

I know that doesn't help with the actual curriculum, but those were the projects we actually enjoyed doing. (We've done space 3 times now...I'm running out of ideas and she wants to do it again!) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN