Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

1st Grade Curriculum

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM
  • 18 Replies

My state requires you to use a tangible curriculum (can be books, videos, or computer programs...or paid tutoring but I'm not doing that) in Good citizenship, math, reading, spelling and grammar.  I want one anywas because I'm new at this.What first grade curriculum do you/did you use (for any or all of these--but please specify, thanks).

And if you have time to asnwer a few more questions about the curriculum , I'm wondering...

What materials does it use/include (textbooks, lesson plans, videos, workbooks, online games, etc?)

If it has lesson plans, does it include creative ideas (games, pretend play, tactile projects)?

Is this more on the rigorous/academic/challenging or gentle/play-based/approachable side?

UPDATE:  

I just wanted to thank all of you who responded...you're answers are helping so much.  Several askedwhat "good citizenship" means.  I am not even quite sure myself.  The law doesn't go into specifics so I'm assuming it's learning about things like voting, and obeying the law, and such.  

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

For math we used Math U See Alpha with Life of Fred for a supplement.  We love MUS.  It has great manipulatives, a DVD with the lessons taught by Steve Demme if you get stuck on something, and a very visual/hands-on way of teaching math.  Life of Fred is a fun supplement math story that teaches some higher level math vocabulary and makes math more like play.  It is really nice as a day when we really need a break from math because there really shouldn't be a break from math.

We are using Spelling You See this year (once we get it) so I don't have a recommendation yet.

Both of these curriculum are academic but with some play-based lessons.  My kids even say they want to play with math when they want to do their math lessons for the day.

We like Time for Kids Grammar Rules but we are adding Editor in Cheif for a more writing based- editing approach.

I make my own LA curriculum and we don't have to do good citizenship.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

We use Horizons math., All About Reading, All about spelling and one called Langauge Smarts that helps him with his grammar. We haven't done good citizenship.

4wildbeasts
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Math: Singapore (textbooks and workbooks). I really like it because it is challenging and the kids seem to like it too.
Spelling: Wordly Wise (online). I am not totally in love with it. Sometimes the questions are worded in a way that even I don't know what answer they want. The kids think it is ok and it is nice to switch it up a little and have a break from textbooks.
Reading: We don't have a specific curriculum because my kids are already good readers. We just read a ton of books. We read lots of classics and they also read one fun book a week.
Grammar: First Language Lessons (textbook, lesson plans, games). We all like it. The lessons don't take long.
What is good citizenship?
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Math- Math U See
Grammar- English for the Thoughtful child
Spelling- sequential spelling (not recommended for children under 2nd grade).

I use Explode the Code, McGuffey Readers, Treadwell Readers, and lots of story books to teach phonics and reading.

I also use Learning Language Arts Through Literature as well. It's a good supplement for all things language arts.

I'm not sure about citizenship. We just read tons of books about those topics. I use Amblesideonline.com for the bulk of my curriculum needs.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 1st grade and we will be using Miquon for math (first time using and switched from Math USee so cannot say how it is yet). Reading is going to be reading books to me and her writing curriculum has some reading comprehension mixed in. We will be trying out IEW for writing, spelling, and grammar. We are doing BJU for social studies and I assume that would cover good citizenship since it teaches about the U.S. And our roles in it, etc. We will also be doing science with God's Design for Life as well as some art for fun. 

The social studies is light this year and the science is my kids' favorite subject. They think it's really fun. :-)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Technically, for citizenship, you can make a list of library books that cover citizenship topics and that is tangible enough.

I vouch for math u see. We are totally sold on it.

I'm sorry, I use an old phonics kit and teachers manual from k12, so I cannot suggest anything there. I also am making my own reading/language arts curric off children's books and old school book readers.

I vouch for handwriting without tears.

We love rod and staff english, but that doesn't start until the 2nd grade. Before that they have some bible nurture and reader set... I've never used it so cannot say if it is good.

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a 3 year old so I have 3 years to change my mind, but I'm planning on using all about reading/all about spelling for language arts and math u see for math (maybe math mammoth as a supplement & reinforcement, if needed)
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

You could do:

Primary Art of Language Reading

Primary Art of Language Writing (includes grammar, spelling, and writing)

Miquon or CLE for mathematics

and for history and science it depends on your personal preferences. We use a living books approach to both in kindergarten, and for most of first grade, although we'll use textbooks as a base book for first grade, using living books to build on from there. For first grade history and literature, we'll use RC History (Catholic perspective); for science in first grade, we'll use a base text Behold and See Science from Catholic Heritage Curriculum.

I'm not sure what "Good Citizenship" is, insofar as curriucla goes. Sorry.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My two younger kids are (functionally) nonverbal autistic.  I fear my elder child (of the two's) education was neglected in his public school special education classrooms...(he is technically a sixth grader, but...) so I'm starting them with Logic of English Foundations A and Developmental Math Level One.  The math curriculum is designed to move at your own pace, teaching one concept at a time.  The Language Arts curriculum has a scope and sequence and we will move them at their own pace.  Right now I am concentrating on learning to read and write and math.  I chose to teach them cursive because it is actually easier on the hand than print...all (lower case at least) letters start with the same point and stroke--and there are only 3 strokes to learn: up and down, overcurve, and undercurve.  All letters are a combination of those strokes.  That way they don't have to also remember where to start each letter or word.  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Math - Math U See. It has a video for instruction, a hard copy teacher's manual, manipulatives, and a student workbook and test book. The workbooks have a enrichment pages in them now. It is flexible to fit mastery style learning

Reading - All About Reading - it does have games (technically a student activity book) as well as its own books to read from, and a scripted teacher's manual. It is flexible to fit mastery style learning 

Spelling - All About Spelling - has hands on activities for each lesson and a scripted teacher's manual. It's flexible to fit the mastery style of learning. 

Gramamr - I don't know if Hake Grammar goes down to 1st - I don't honestly do grammar with my little guy, and probably won't do more formal grammar til at least 5th grade, like I'm doing with my oldest. 

Writing - Write Shop Primary - It has lots of activities to do together for each lesson. It is also scripted. I'm not entirely sure how Primary works - I haven't opened it yet for my little guy. WS Jr has a fold N Go which goes over grammar.

Citizenship - I have not directly done that with my kids. They learn it everyday through everyday life... we did more fieldtrips with this too (like to the fire department, bank, etc).  Sorry I couldn't be more help here.

Other things we're using for 1st grade this year:
Elemental Science - Biology for the Grammar stage
See Time Fly Series for History
I am putting together my own Lit guide.
Handwriting Without Tears
We track the weather and practice making different types of graph with the data collected over the year.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN