Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling and coparenting

Posted by   + Show Post

Me and my ex have a very different opinion on homeschooling. My DS is a sophmore. We started homeschooling last year. Ex didn't want DS pulled from public school at all. DS and I  won that fight and started homeschooling. Fast forward to now, we start actual designated homeschool classes August 11th. Ex wants to take DS to Georgia for a family reunion from Aug 27-Sept 8th. 

I homeschool with 2 other people(my sister and our best friend). On 3 different grade levels. DS is not taught by me but by my sister. We are very structured (7 hrs a day-4 days a week) mostly because we are teaching 9 kids between the 3 of us.  This year will be very rigourous for our older kids. They have Algebra 1, Biology, Am History, Literature, Language Arts plus Spanish.  Papers and projects in both history and biology. 

So, ex asked if DS could start working on school work now so he could remain caught up while in Georgia. Is it fair to DS or sister to ask this? And to top it all off DS leaves Sunday for 10 days at Boy Scout summer camp.  If DS was still in public school these would be unexcused absences and he would not be able to make up missing assignments. 

I know that DS wants to go meet family that he's never met before. I know  ex really would like him to go BUT is it worth ending our summer early just so he can go? or asking my sister to start teaching lessons to 1 child and then having to reteach when school starts to the other 2?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:24 PM
Replies (11-14):
Christyabbey
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I  don't have any major issues with the public school system just the school district we are currently in.  I pulled my DS at semester last year that is why he was taking the courses he was. The same ones he was taking in ps. Biology here is a sophmore class. We did pre-algebra when I pulled him because he was doing poorly in Algebra 1.

I didn't take your comments as snarky.

Our day starts at 9 am and ends at 4 pm with 30 minutes for lunch. The day is ran just like public school. Complete and total structure. There isn't much room for adjustment. We don't have days where we just don't do school and everything is done out of a textbook. Mostly because we must make sure that we get all the required hours in. 

DS decided he's not going. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Well, this isn't public school, so I don't understand why you're comparing it to PS absence policy.

Yes, I would let him go. This is a perk of homeschooling. Also, you really do not want to rock this boat - if he were to decide to take this back to court, most often judges will side with public school as default.

I would be a bit concerned about him falling behind. I promise I do not mean this as snarky, but his schedule already sounds a bit behind - biology and algebra 1 are generally 9th grade classes. I do not, however, think it's fair to insist he do his work while with his father at a family reunion.

You need to remember why you homeschool. I assume that, on some level, you weren't happy with the public school - so stop trying to compare it to public school.

Christyabbey
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I count alot of the boy scout stuff as noncore credit. We have to have 1000 hrs each year 600 of which are the 5 core subjects.

I was more than willing to let him go. Although DS decided he's not going because its too much to do or make up. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

DH and I often disagree on homeschooling. However, when it comes down to it, it is MY responsibility. We use a homeschool charter so they have set school days.

To me, family, and life lessons learned on a major trip can outweigh a week of book work. When DH took the  kids to visit his family for THREE weeks, I just marked them as in school and turned in the minimum required work. That is a joy of homeschooling.

Since you are doing a very school at home, structured program, I'm not sure how I would handle it. I would probably send a minimal amount of work (an hour or two a day) to be done while he was gone. Protocopy a chapter or two of his textbooks if he can't take the book wth him. Being a sophmore, he is PLENTY old enough to be responsible for completing his school work.  

We also go to Boy scout camp. Ours is a one week program. I consider this school time. They are in 4 hours of merit badge classes daily, plus swimming, bike riding, rock climbing, etc. I cont all the sctivities time as PE. DS2 is doing two Eagle scout required classes and two fun classes.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:56 AM
He is old enough to fly to Georgia for a shorter trip probably. Has this been considered?
Christyabbey
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:41 AM

That is a great idea. I will bring it up to ex. 

Quoting KrissyKC: He is old enough to fly to Georgia for a shorter trip probably. Has this been considered?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN