Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone use K12?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM
  • 33 Replies

We have found a program here in Hawaii that is sorta run like K12 it's a branch off of them I guess.  But anyways we have gotten thru the assement phase and some things have been happening that have me worried about the program....  So I'm just wondering if any of you moms use K12 and if you do what do you think of it?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Savi_mom
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I start in august 18. What are your concerns about the programn
Lala06
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:56 AM
1 mom liked this
This will be the 3rd yr for us in k12.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I had my nephew homeschooling with my for a year naad he used k-12. It did NOT mesh with my attitudes on homeschooling at all and is entirely "school at home" They required online web classes each week, 5 hours of time logged in daily, and way too many assignments (busy book work - and review, not learning and progressing). After one year, I told my sister that I would not continue to have him with us unless he changed to a more traditional homeschool program.

I would never do it with my kids.   

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/98, 1st Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Analugojana
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I've looked at it briefly but it was WAY too structured for my liking. Except physically going to school there was not much of a difference.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM
The more I got into it, the more unhappy I was about it. Every time I'd talk to a representative, I'd get a different answer. I was being told how flexible it was, how I could set it to my child's pace. No, that's not the case at all. When I finally told them I'd decided to go with something else I continued to get phone calls once a week from them.
daniellegirly26
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM
We use Connections Academy.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM

We used it for a while.  It was far too structured for us and even less lenient than the local public school (brick and mortar).  Plus as we met more of the parents there were less and less that I considered "homeschoolers" there were many that were just sitting their child in front of the computer and letting the cyber-teacher "teach" them.  Not that all the parents were like that, but a lot of them.  So I couldn't get as much help as I had thought I would.

mommy2girls0506
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM

*Again this is HTA not K12 but HTA is branced off of K12 I believe:

My biggest concern would be my youngest daughter.  She is special needs and at first they told us how she could get services at the local public school no big deal.  Well then I hear they only started allowing special needs kids last year because they were made to by law.... That's a big red flag to me cause I am then turned they are still figuring out things.  There are a few smaller things like what the cirrculum is like and how the class part of it is run.

Quoting Savi_mom: I start in august 18. What are your concerns about the programn

mommy2girls0506
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:16 PM

So overall your happy with it?

Quoting Lala06: This will be the 3rd yr for us in k12.

mommy2girls0506
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I am worried about the assignments mostly when it comes to my little one she has slight to serve autism on varying things and she has a short amount of patenice and work time.  So that is a concern thank you for your reply.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I had my nephew homeschooling with my for a year naad he used k-12. It did NOT mesh with my attitudes on homeschooling at all and is entirely "school at home" They required online web classes each week, 5 hours of time logged in daily, and way too many assignments (busy book work - and review, not learning and progressing). After one year, I told my sister that I would not continue to have him with us unless he changed to a more traditional homeschool program.

I would never do it with my kids.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN