Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

To homeschool?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi, I have been throwing around the idea to homeschool my son for awhile. He is 5 and is starting Kindergarten this year. I also have children ages 3, 2, and 10 months. I am pregnant and due in Feb. I am already a stay at home mom and pretty much do everything. My husband works nights and sleeps days so I do most of everything on little sleep. I don't have family that helps out either. There are days I am extremely sleep deprived and exhausted that I can't imagine having any more responsibilities. It got to the point where I was actually having seizures from stress and lack of sleep (they've since gone away now that my youngest is sleeping a little better).

My husband is working on getting switched to days so that will be very helpful having him help with dinner, baths, bedtime, and allow me to have a break. However, he has applied for another job and if he gets it, he'll have to go away for 5 months of training in another state. I will be doing everything and I don't have a support network. I could possibly give birth while he is away. It does scare me to have everything on my shoulders and I fear having seizures again if I'm not getting sleep. I am concerned that I will be overwhelmed and I won't be consistent with his homeschooling. 

Others tell me that it would be better when he is in school full time. I can also put my 3 year old in preschool. It sounds appealing in that I can take naps again in the afternoon when the younger kids take theirs. However, I don't know if I want them to go to public school/preschool. I don't have a lot of faith in public schools and worry about bullies, his safety in school, how much time is wasted during the day, etc. My 5 year old would be gone all day M-F and my 3 year old M-Th for 3.5 hrs a day. We would also need to buy another car if my husband is working days.

I get excited about teaching him at home and have already gathered a ton of information on what we would do. I have days where I am on board with my decision but then after a restless night, I rethink whether I can take on another responsibility. Would you homeschool or send your kids to school if you were me? Any moms with multiple kids go through this experience already? How do you function with little sleep? How do you recharge? Any other tips you found useful?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Homeschooling is easier in many ways. It depends though on a lot of different factors. Can you hire someone to come in and help? Doesn't most of your lack of sleep and work come from your younger children. If homeschooling doesn't work you can always send them to school at a later time. I would definitely hire someone to help for the nine months. Remember to take care of yourself.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:53 PM
5 Months
Scribbleprints
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I was you and I sent my kids to school--and my older kids thrived there.  My oldest was a spitfire and just needed other people to bounce of of.  My middle was an introvert but loved the structure (I'm not very structured).  My youngest HATED the structure and hated school, and now I'm planning to homeschool him.  

In my experience the public schools were actually very good quality, HOWEVER...with my youngest, who was less mature and less academically ready than the other two, something came to light about kindergarten.  Kindergarten has become much more academically focused than it used to be.  It used to be that kids weren't expected to read until first grade.  Now they have taken a lot of the "play" out of kindergarten and really taken a lot of what they would learn in first grade and tried to cram in into KG.  My older two were both reading before they got to school, so this wasn't an issue with them...they thrived in that environment.  But some kids need more time--like my youngest who just shut down under the pressure.  

I would ask a lot of questions--because to me it's not so much about whether public schools are "good" or "bad" but whether they are "good for my child and his personality/readiness/learning style" or not.  

It's too bad that you can't sit through a class at your local school first.  But you can talk to other parents and ask the school questions.  

Stables26
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Yes, the youngest still wakes up multiple times a night and the 2 year old does once about every other night. I will be waking up a lot with the newborn in Feb. If the older ones were at school, I could take a nap with the younger ones in the afternoon. That's a good idea about hiring help. My husband would be getting more pay so we could afford it, at least part time. I get excited about teaching my son and know I could do it (I was an ABA therapist and Elementary tutor). I am just worried whether I can pull it all off alone with lack of sleep. 

Stables26
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I didn't think about that Scribbleprints. My son does love structure and is constantly asking what we're going to do next. I think he would thrive in a more structured environment than I can provide. I'm not sure how he'll do being gone for so many hours a day. My biggest concerns are his safety there, riding the bus, negative influences from other kids, etc. He could very well have a positive experience at school. That's good 2/3 of your kids did. :) 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
The thing about homeschooling is that it doesn't take as much time as public school does. Kindergarten for us took about an hour and a half. And not even all at one time. You could space it out over the day. At that age, you really don't need a curriculum. Yes, its harder with little ones, but its doable.
Analugojana
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Try it out and worse case scenario you both hate it and he goes to public school. He's still young and should be able to adjust quickly.

GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Homeschooling for kindergarten is the easiest time to do it because there is way less to do. :-) I did my first year last year and it was kindergarten. I focused on the reading, writing, and introducing math. If we got to anything else great! If not no biggie. :-) My husband was deployed for it and I had a 3 year old and a colicky baby with reflux. I took days, weeks, and even a month off! Lol! And we still finished the school year early. :-) I'm sure as they get older I will have less flexibility. Anyways, if you do try it and it just isn't working out you both then you can enroll him in school without having missed much. I told my husband when he wasn't sure about the homeschooling that kindergarten is the best time to try it out. :-)

GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Oh and I will add too that kindergarten took only a couple hours to do and was mostly fun based. :-)

JanetteA
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

OK, I will admit that I am NOT a homeschooler and just came upon this post from the main board.  But I feel I must insert a note of sanity here.

Honey, you are not a failure as a parent if you send your child to public school!  The VAST VAST majority of public schools are child-friendly places full of responsible adults who care deeply about your child. 

If you are already "doing everything," exhausted and stressed out to the point of seizures,  with four kids and another on the way-- you do not need to add another responsibility to your list!   In fact, I predict that if you DO add something more to your list, you will completely break down-- and if you break down, your family breaks down.  

Honestly, I am SHOCKED at the posters here who think you should take on homeschooling responsibilities when you are clearly teetering on the edge already.

Honey, it's OK not to be supermom.  Really.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)