Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am a little torn on honmeschooling vs the local charter school

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM
  • 4 Replies

I am new to this group dont think i have posted before in this one so hi :) 

I am a SAHM with 3 kids 2 of which are signed up for preschool right now at the local school but i have been really wanting to home school.  Not only for the educational benefit but also because my kids have weird sensitivities to foods and need to be kept away from chemicals and processed foods.  But lately I have been having medical issues that are making it hard to work with them every day like i have been so i just got a flyer the other day about the local charter school.  After calling and speaking with them I am thinking they will be a much better option than the regular school because they can handle my kids food issues but they also seem more academic than the other school.  My dilemma is my kids want to go to preschool which the charter doesnt offer so they are signed up for the regular school but if that doesnt work out with their food issues then i have to take them out and keep doing preschool at home if i am able but I still want to home school them.  I am really not sure what to do and would love input of other moms who are homeschooling and have been doing it a year or so because at times it seems like it is too hard for me to do with them but then other times i see them learning just fine. 
Was this decision this tough for other moms? I know about a lot of the website on home schooling and maybe i am over thinking this stage of schooling but i want them to learn as much as they can.  Like i said i am just really torn thanks for listening

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Hmm, you do sound really torn. Your health problems, are they always going to be an issue or are they temporary?
Also, kids learn best with guided playing and exploration at their ages.
How long has the charter school been established? Charter schools come and go so you don't want one that is too new and may not make it.
Firespirit13
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Thank you for responding.  The local charter has been around since i was in High school in 2000 and i have only heard good things from the kids who have gone there and local community members, and we don't know if these health issues will be for ever or not I have involuntary motions that leave me unable to function at times and i try to work around it but like you said they do best with play educational stuff and i am thinking at least the first year or two i might go with the local charter but i think eventually we will be homeschooling so no matter what i am doing as much research on homeschooling and getting as many ideas as i can so i know what to do when that time comes. I just want to be prepared.  again thanks so much for your input it helps a lot when others cane see where i am at from a different perspective and ask the right questions :)

Quoting mem82: Hmm, you do sound really torn. Your health problems, are they always going to be an issue or are they temporary? Also, kids learn best with guided playing and exploration at their ages. How long has the charter school been established? Charter schools come and go so you don't want one that is too new and may not make it.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM
I'm not a big believer in preschool, so I'd skip it and just reevaluate when it's time for kindergarten.
Bethbeth
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Preschool does not have to involve sitting at a desk for 4 hours a day like the regular school. You could do 15 mintues a day. Or a half hour 3x a week. It doesn't have to be a big thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)