Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool on a tight budget

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:29 AM
  • 7 Replies
I would like to homeschool my 3 kids, 6th, 5th, and prek, but we are on a very tight budget.

Are there any suggestions that I can use to still make sure they get a full education?

We have used easy peasy, but not sure if that is enough.

Please help.
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
DesireMM
by Desire' on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I found a lot of curriculum this year on eBay and Better World Books. My son's science would have cost me $70 for the textbook and $20 for the workbook. I got them both on eBay for $11.49 shipping included.
Analugojana
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Look in the sticky post, maybe you can find something another mom wants to sell.
sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

1.  You do not have to buy an entire curriculum or the entire year all at once.  You can assess and purchase as needed (maybe ask around--someone might have something they can sell or give you.)

2.  Some subjects can be taught "together" from the same resource--just evaluation is different (such as science and history and literature).  

3.  For the prek child, don't worry too much about academics:  imaginatory play, reading to him (which siblings can participate in), physical play, and art should take up most of the curriculum.

4.  Books on about any subject can be obtained from the library.

5.  In most cases, with worktexts (workbooks and textbooks in one) it is actually MORE cost-effective to buy two copies than to buy one copy and photocopy or tear out and place into page protectors for future use.  

6.  However, you could have them each write their answers in a regular notebook and re-use the same book for the two older kids at the same time or one after the other.

7.  Look at "What my X grader needs to know."  (or a something similar regarding scope and sequence)

8.  Hit up back to school sales for supplies; free online resources; library

9.  There WILL be gaps in your child's education, no matter what method of schooling.  The most important thing is that the children gain the skills to learn HOW to learn and find information.  There are just not enough hours in the day to teach everything the child might need.  Choose what you think is most important and concentrate on that.

daisymahaffey
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Thank you! I will try all of these. Just kinda overwhelmed by it all.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Check my post here http://mobile.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/19166138/Buy_Sell_or_Trade_The_Homeschooling_Moms_Exchange?next=21#replies
I listed some things I'm willing to give for free. My kids were 5th and 6th graders last year and it was our first year at home. I also have what your 5th grader needs to know and what your 6th grader needs to know. They helped me a lot, we even did some assignments and reading straight out of those books.

Let me know if you're interested in any of the books. Many were free to us from the book Samaritan, some others I bought used and a couple are brand new. I know exactly how you're feeling, so feel free to pm me if you have more questions, and this group has been amazing for me..I wouldn't be nearly as confident as I am without their support!
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Can you afford to do any curriculum? Or are you looking to do it all your own. I use curriculum for math and LA and do my own for science and history.
Teeter-Tottered
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I've heard rave reviews about amblesideonline.org and milestonesacademy.com

Oldfashionededucation.com (though with a christian viewpoint like the above sites-not sure if that's a hit or miss for you in particukar ^_^), has a curriculum completely based on public domain texts and books. We're secular, but I love the resources she's pulled together, as well as those on ambleside and milestones!

Tanglewood is similar to ambleside ( free literature- based curriculum guide), and uses books commonly found in libraries or easily substituted.Their corebook is very sweet and helpful and modestly priced.

Sorry, hit reply on accident!

I've also seen free Montessori albums and lessons online. I think there's a wiki too, but I can't remember the exact name.

My mother homeschooled me for the 3rd grade using nothing but a set of children's encyclopedias (The Childcraft How and Why Library), and because they were so beloved to me I bought a vintage set of my own off ebay (ran about $55 with shipping), which I reference and use with my little ones constantly. They're great, and touch on just about everything! The arts and craft volume 'Make and Do' is one of a kind :)

And we're using Waldorfessentials for our core (mine are only 4 and 3 so we're just starting), which runs about $40-$60 per grade for their curriculum. It's not for everyone, but we've fallen in love with it.

Sorry, I don't have anything to offer from experience (as a teacher)yet. Hope this helps though!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN