Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

KG/First Grade Homeschoolers - What's a Typical Day?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM
  • 25 Replies

How much time do you usually spend per day on homeschooling activities (and do you take weekends off or go all week)?     How do you break up your time between subjects (reading, math, etc.)  

by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Kindergarten was typically 2 hours at the most. Sometimes we did it all at once and sometimes we took all day to finish because of going to the park or the library or just hanging out inbetween subjects. We only concentrated on reading, writing, and math with fun days thrown in where instead we did some science or art for the day. I didn't have to fulfill a certain number of days so weTook days or weeks off when we felt like it and we finished early. This year for first grade I am adding in more science and social studies but I don't expect school to take more than maybe a hour longer at the most. Especially since reading lessons will be replaced with just reading a chapter or two from a book to me with maybe a fun project at the end of a book. :-) We will do 4 to 5 day weeks and during the day I will listen to her cues like last year and take breaks as needed. 

mollymcleod
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 11:36 PM
I am so glad that you responded to this post; I have been so worried about what to do for my kindergartener. Did you have a curriculum or did you just buy like workbooks from Walmart or Barnes and noble?

Quoting GodsAmiga:

Kindergarten was typically 2 hours at the most. Sometimes we did it all at once and sometimes we took all day to finish because of going to the park or the library or just hanging out inbetween subjects. We only concentrated on reading, writing, and math with fun days thrown in where instead we did some science or art for the day. I didn't have to fulfill a certain number of days so weTook days or weeks off when we felt like it and we finished early. This year for first grade I am adding in more science and social studies but I don't expect school to take more than maybe a hour longer at the most. Especially since reading lessons will be replaced with just reading a chapter or two from a book to me with maybe a fun project at the end of a book. :-) We will do 4 to 5 day weeks and during the day I will listen to her cues like last year and take breaks as needed. 

GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:12 AM

I didn't have a full blown curriculum like My Father's World and was going to do workbooks but my daughter didn't like that option plus I was nervous about teaching her to read. So I used Logic of English for reading and writing and they even have some spelling once they are reading. I used the Math-U-See primer for math (we are switching from MUS this year but I loved using their primer for an intro to math concepts). Both are easy to use, both you can go at your child's pace, Logic tells you what to say and gives suggestions for practice and games and is hands-on and active for wiggle worms, and for both I was able to keep the teachers books, cards, and manipulatives and have only needed to order new student books (inexpensive) for my second child which was great for saving money. :-)

Quoting mollymcleod: I am so glad that you responded to this post; I have been so worried about what to do for my kindergartener. Did you have a curriculum or did you just buy like workbooks from Walmart or Barnes and noble?
Quoting GodsAmiga:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:14 AM
Kindy was really light last year. 45 mins to an hour 3-4 days per week, and then just learning through play. She has some sensory and behavior issues we have been modifying with her diet.

Now, in 1st grade, I have to report her because she turns 7 this year. That means needing to log 1000 hours.

So...let me think...

Handwriting..15 minutes
Phonics & spelling....30 minutes
Engaged reading...30 minutes
math warm ups....15 minutes
math u see....15 minutes
Independent reading....20 minutes
Daily science puzzlers....15 minutes
Apologia anatomy....45 minutes twice weekly
practice for junior bible quizzing 2 fifteen min slots
Other bible 20 minutes most days.

These are my arsenal of tools , but how fast and much we actually do will depend on her readiness.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM

With my little guy last year our day typically looked like this:
7 am he wakes up, he eats breakfast, I give him 20 min, and then we start school around 7:45/8 am
He liked starting with handwriting...that took about 5 minutes unless he had to color the page, then it was probably about 10 min.
8:10, Math - 20 min.
8:30, Reading - 30 min tops, a mix of me reading to him or him reading to me ontop of whatever the lesson was, which typically took a few minutes
9:00, Spelling - 30 min on a good day....this is when he has to go pee every other word
Then he was done. I didn't do writing or anything else with him last year.

This year, he has science, history, writing, art, and a foreign language added on, so I'm going to assume we can easily tack on at least another hour. 2 at the most. This is also counting in his pokey time. If he'd just sit down and not argue or have to eat/pee so stinking much (procastination tactics at their finest), we'd get done a heck of a lot sooner.

We didn't usually break up time between subjects because we never needed to, and we only did school Mon-Fri. We only worked on the weekends if we missed a few days.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 9:40 AM

My kindy's day looks like this:

Handwriting: 5 minutes
Cutting/or other hand-eye coordination: 10 minutes
Hooked on Phonics: 15 minutes

15 minutes break

Word building/sorting: 15 minutes
MUS Alpha: 15 minutes 

15 minute break

MUS Alpha: 15 minutes
Geography: 15 minutes
Sight Words/ word families: 15 minutes

15 minute Break

Life of Fred with brothers: 30 minutes (roughly)
Reading to him: 30 minutes

15 minute break

Reading eggs: usually about 30 minutes

Done for the day

Total time without including the breaks 3 hours-3 1/4 hours

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM

My kindergartner's day is about 4 hours of formal academic work (maybe only 3, depending on the day).

We have morning circle time, which takes about 1 hour - this is when we read our Catholic Mosaic selection for religion, or do an associated activity (it's like the Catholic version of FIAR), calendar, character, and memory work (which also encompasses art appreciation).

Then my 7th grader separates to do her independent work (math, literature, religion reading, and any overflow work from writing, history, etc). While she's working on her own, with my kindergartner I do: Phonics/reading, handwriting, mathematics, and rotate science and social studies. After the second semester, we will finish phonics, and instead pick up spelling and formal writing/composition work.

When I am done with his work, I spend some time with the 2 year old, put him down for his nap, and then work with my 7th grader on her mom-intensive subjects (she's dyslexic).

I am shooting for being done by 2 or 3, so that everyone has time for free time and to do their own thing, while I start dinner, clean up, etc, before we have to go to any extracurriculars (soccer for 7th grader, dance for kindergartner, and piano lessons for both). Both children are expected to practice on the piano sometime in the evening, as well.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Just noting that the books from Barnes and Noble, Walmart, etc were never meant to be complete programs (even if they are called "Complete Curriculum").

Quoting mollymcleod: I am so glad that you responded to this post; I have been so worried about what to do for my kindergartener. Did you have a curriculum or did you just buy like workbooks from Walmart or Barnes and noble?
Quoting GodsAmiga:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mollymcleod
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Yeah I didn't think they were a curriculum but I do like them as an informal sort of method. I was just wondering though and I appreciate your feedback.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Just noting that the books from Barnes and Noble, Walmart, etc were never meant to be complete programs (even if they are called "Complete Curriculum").

Quoting GodsAmiga:

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it depends on your kid.
With ds kindergarten was a disaster. We used a charter school who started out forcing us to do all this basic kindergarten junk although he was capable of so much more. Then they tested him and found he was at 3rd grade level and started pushing us the other way. It was terrible! Needless to say we switched charters and we are much happier at our new one.
If I could go back kindergarten with him would have been more hands on playing and little to no writing. He has fine motor delays and they wanted him writing multiple paragraphs a day (no way). Lots of reading, science, and history too.
Now dd is 4 and she really wants to start school. She's starting to read write, add, etc so we're going to start kindergarten. I have workbooks, coloring pages, reading, etc for her. We're also doing wordly wise. But that's what she loves to do! She loves to color, circle what she's told, look at pictures, do flashcards, write, etc. So that's where I'm going with her. She's not so into science and history so she can join us if she wishes if not no big deal.
It just depends on your kid. We will cover the basics of reading, writing, vocabulary, and math. She loves doing Spanish with my son so she will do that too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)