Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Seeing if my boys know what they should know at their age.

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi everyone!! I have a 6 and 3 year old and I home school. I'm wanting anyone to tell me what their kids around this age know. I would just like to know whether or not I'm spending a good amount of time of schooling with them. Thanks ladies!

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojo_382
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Oh me too so here's a bump
brittany0717
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I'm fairly new to this cafemom. I have had an account for quite awhile, but I have rarely used it. So I'm not exactly sure what it means to "bump" a post lol.....what does that mean?

jojo_382
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM
It mean to help the post so others can see it an answer it

Quoting brittany0717:

I'm fairly new to this cafemom. I have had an account for quite awhile, but I have rarely used it. So I'm not exactly sure what it means to "bump" a post lol.....what does that mean?

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:02 AM
My 3 year old know his letters, identifies numbers to 30, counts to 30, know colors, shapes, and some comparison words (big, bigger, large/small, etc), identifies coins, knows how to spell his name and his address. He also knows print concepts (front of book, that words on the page are what I read, where the book starts vs ends, etc), rhyming

This year I will work with him on: letter sounds, more math concepts (longer/shorter, comparing, patterns, counting by 2s, counting to 50, etc), more phonemic awareness (the first sound in words, the different sounds in words, clapping out syllables, blending words verbally)

I do a lot of theme based learning. He learned about frogs as our last theme. We made frog puppets, learned about the life cycle of a frog, got insects and his frog puppet 'ate' them, we pretended we were frogs and tried to grab the insects in water with tongs, pretended we were frogs and hopped around like frogs, and painted with green paint. That theme lasted 2-3 weeks.

I do calendar than an activity maybe 3 times a week, total time spent is about 30 minutes 3 times a week. Maybe more time if he's interested.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 1:01 AM

At three I didn't do any actual teaching. My dd2 is 4 now so when she was 3 she knew shapes, colors, her alphabet, counting to 20 by ones, counting to 100 by 10s (picked it up from big sister's lessons), how to write her name (big sister taught her), and some phonogram sounds (i.e., the four sounds of 'I'-again picked up from sister's lessons). She is learning to read now because she requested to learn but I think of formal homeschooling as starting at kindergarten. 

My oldest dd just turned 6 and she is reading well. Right now for reading aloud to me she is reading a chapter book that says it is beginning of 3rd grade level. She can count into the thousands, read numbers up to 999,999 and sometimes will remember how to read one million but I haven't focused on it. She can count by 10s, 5s, and 2s although will probably need a refresher since we have had a fairly big break. She can add 3 digit numbers but we have not gone over carrying the numbers yet. She can subtract simple numbers but we haven't focused on subtraction as much yet. She can solve word problems and write numbers, math problems, and words. She can tell general time (to the five minute times) and can read analog clocks. She is still learning her money and we haven't gotten into detailed measuring yet. She has done some science things as well such as the water cycle but for kindergarten we only focused on reading, writing, and math.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Playing,having fun and a joy for learning is they need to know. Just start with the basics and follow their interests. Read to them as much as they want. Make sure they see you reading every day. Play fun games together. Start small and build up their attention span gradually. Start with letters, counting, shapes, beginning reading and writing skills. All kids have their own pace that is right for them.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:51 AM

We aren't child led here, so we start formal academics at age 4.

Beyond knowing his colors and shapes, I do not recall what my middle son knew at age 3. At age 4 he could recognize written letters, written numbers through 10, could count (I do not recall how high), and by 4.5 knew all letter sounds and was beginning to blend CVC words.

He turned 5 in May. He now has about two dozen sight words under his belt, is blending and learning new phonograms, can count to 100+ (I stop him around 100, lol), is adding and learning to subtract single digit numbers, working on coin recognition, place value, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kajira
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:54 AM

I use a preschool book on my 3 year old that has basic shapes, colors, counting, identifying information, etc. I think most kids catch up by 8, so i'm not in a huge hurry to push her to know more then just generic info for her age.

She's learning spanish along with english, which is why I'm focusing more on that, she's also learning piano and sign language... so for developmental stuff, I prefer to focus on other things right now.

Teeter-Tottered
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Mine are 3 and 4. Most of their knowledge is things that they picked up just by getting through each day so far like shapes, colors, simple counting, nursery rhymes and animals/ bugs, some simple signs, health and hygiene expectations, what to do in some dangerous situations, etc. They know some letters and their sounds from the abc song and being read to and how to scribble and doodle, but not actually write yet.

I admit we aren't planning on "formal" lessons until 6-7 ish.

I think that there are charts you can look up online for your state if you're worried. The Worldbook website used to have an awesome one, when I looked years ago, not sure if it still does.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Let's see...

My first child read me books on her third birthday and knew what negative numbers were when she was five.   She could add, subtract, had the basic idea of multiplication and could read at a mid-third-grade level at five as well.

My third is six and just barely reading a few simple books like my first did at three and has no concept of most of the other things I mentioned above.   

My second was somewhere in the middle.  

My fourth (yes, I went out of order), my fourth is 2 and I cannot see him reading by three.. no way...  he barely puts two words together, and he has to think REALLY hard to get any word out that is not a repeated word...

Like ma ma, da da...   He calls himself Ry Ry (his name is Reilly), and he calls dogs Shi Shi (because our dog's name is shiloh)... he can get out a second word occasionally, but it takes a lot of thought and effort.   Like he will say, "Ma ma....  "   pause, and his face screws up a minute while he thinks... then he will finish with.  "more..."   only, he says more like mar (rhyme with car)...  when he wants more juice.   LOL!   There is no way this kid will be reading aloud in 8-12 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN