Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Seeing if my boys know what they should know at their age.

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone!! I have a 6 and 3 year old and I home school. I'm wanting anyone to tell me what their kids around this age know. I would just like to know whether or not I'm spending a good amount of time of schooling with them. Thanks ladies!

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM
Replies (11-11):
Scribbleprints
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:17 AM

We worked with our kids a lot before school but I haven't formally homeschooled any of my children until now (my youngest is just starting), but just for comparison's sake.

At 3 my oldest, who was a bit precocious, knew all his letters, wrote a lot of letters,  could count somewhere between 20 and 100 (don't remember exactly, just remember enough for a good hide and go seek), and was memorizing the stories I'd  read to him.  He learned to read small words at 4.  By 6 he was reading well (his teacher said at a second grade level).  

My second was just starting to learn to read at 5.  At 6 he could read well (above grade level according to his teachers) but still liked it better if I read to him.  Can't remember where he was on math.

My third we just didn't prepare as well, plus he was emotionally less mature than my older kids were at that age.  At three he knew his colors and most of the shapes, but only a few letters.  He didn't learn all his letters until 6 and just now is putting them together to form words (doing very well).  He still can't count to 100 but is getting there.  He can add number up to 10 and can add 1 or 2 to higher numbers (new this week).  He doesn't understand subtraction well yet.     (He had a horrid time in Kindergarten which is why we decided to homeschool--our main focus right now is just getting him to try and sort of "re-setting" his oppinion of school and learning. ).  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)