Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help and lots of it

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM
  • 6 Replies
I have no clue what I'm doing are the exact words I have to say how should I do this for my 6 year old I need more structure more planned out and basically how should I go about it on what I should be teaching him. Right now he are learn how to tell time and pronouncing words and reading. Plz help am some what clueless on the rest
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Make a list of what you want to cover. You can Google for kindergarten ideas. Join a local homeschooling group. They can be really helpful. Just start on the basic reading, writing and math skills. Also go to your library and pick books for history and history. Pick a theme. Google science experiments. What is your budget for kindergarten? What are you using for phonics? Feel free to ask me anything.
jojo_382
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM
For right its a tight budgetand at this moment we are using My First BOB Books

Quoting jen2150: Make a list of what you want to cover. You can Google for kindergarten ideas. Join a local homeschooling group. They can be really helpful. Just start on the basic reading, writing and math skills. Also go to your library and pick books for history and history. Pick a theme. Google science experiments. What is your budget for kindergarten? What are you using for phonics? Feel free to ask me anything.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Sounds good. Do you have any duplos or legos? You can put letters on them and practice making words. Kindergarten is a great grade on a budget. He will learn a lot just having you read to him. Pick books at the library on all different subjects. One thing I did when they were young was write in a kindergarten lined book and they would copy what I wrote.

Quoting jojo_382: For right its a tight budgetand at this moment we are using My First BOB Books

Quoting jen2150: Make a list of what you want to cover. You can Google for kindergarten ideas. Join a local homeschooling group. They can be really helpful. Just start on the basic reading, writing and math skills. Also go to your library and pick books for history and history. Pick a theme. Google science experiments. What is your budget for kindergarten? What are you using for phonics? Feel free to ask me anything.
SamuraiQueen
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Is he entering Kindergarten or 1st grade? You can Google what a Kindergartener or 1st Grader needs to know according to your state's public school. They are usually posted online. That should give you a starting point of what all he knows and still needs to learn, then go from there.

Also, look into your state laws about what subjects are required to be taught and how many hours. My state requires: Reading, Math, Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies at 4.5 hours each day for 180 days of school in 1 year. Next, determine what kind of student your son is and what kind of teacher you are. Once you figure this out, then you can look into getting some curriculum if you like.

Some examples: Does he enjoy sitting down to read? Then the Library is your best friend. Have him check out books you can read to him or for him to practice reading out loud. Does he like to fill in/answer worksheets? Then a textbook approach might work well for you both. Can he sit and do work independently or does he need close supervision at all times? Is he more of a hands-on learner and, therefore, would not do well sitting down for long periods? Then a textbook approach might not work well, but field trips where he can explore and touch things would be great.

Either way, reading is a great place to start. Also math and some handwriting practice. You can also buy some of those Kindergarten or 1st Grade workbooks they sell at the bookstore (there are several kinds). It's more of a workbook, but they're usually colorful and easy/fun to do. They could give you some ideas of what concepts they're supposed to learn at that grade level, and then you can take those same concepts and expand on them on your own.

Once you figure out what you need to teach, then you can plan out how you want to break down each day and each week. Where I live, you don't have to teach all the subjects everyday, so there's flexibility as far as staggering the subjects every other day so they don't get overwhelming. Really, it's a lot of research, but the more you know, the better off you'll be in deciding how you want to proceed.

Also, there's no one right way to homeschool, but I would encourage you to look into the different homeschool philosophies to see where you fit or what you might like to do (ex: Classical, Charlotte Mason, Eclectic, Unschooling, Montessori, etc.). You know yourself and your child the best, so do what's right for your family (as long as you're compliant with your state's laws).

Lastly, try not to stress too much about the schedule. If something's not working, then try something else. That's the great part about this journey--you're not stuck! There's flexibility and adaptability. So you can keep learning and refining until something clicks. Good luck!

jojo_382
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:32 AM
I have some legos that and that's is a great idea thank you I well definitely use that idea

Quoting jen2150: Sounds good. Do you have any duplos or legos? You can put letters on them and practice making words. Kindergarten is a great grade on a budget. He will learn a lot just having you read to him. Pick books at the library on all different subjects. One thing I did when they were young was write in a kindergarten lined book and they would copy what I wrote.

Quoting jojo_382: For right its a tight budgetand at this moment we are using My First BOB Books

jojo_382
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:38 AM
Thank you I love you advice it makes me a little less stress if am doin thing right and it give me a better why to approach this

Quoting SamuraiQueen:

Is he entering Kindergarten or 1st grade? You can Google what a Kindergartener or 1st Grader needs to know according to your state's public school. They are usually posted online. That should give you a starting point of what all he knows and still needs to learn, then go from there.

Also, look into your state laws about what subjects are required to be taught and how many hours. My state requires: Reading, Math, Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies at 4.5 hours each day for 180 days of school in 1 year.

Next, determine what kind of student your son is and what kind of teacher you are. Once you figure this out, then you can look into getting some curriculum if you like.

Some examples: Does he enjoy sitting down to read? Then the Library is your best friend. Have him check out books you can read to him or for him to practice reading out loud. Does he like to fill in/answer worksheets? Then a textbook approach might work well for you both. Can he sit and do work independently or does he need close supervision at all times? Is he more of a hands-on learner and, therefore, would not do well sitting down for long periods? Then a textbook approach might not work well, but field trips where he can explore and touch things would be great.

Either way, reading is a great place to start. Also math and some handwriting practice. You can also buy some of those Kindergarten or 1st Grade workbooks they sell at the bookstore (there are several kinds). It's more of a workbook, but they're usually colorful and easy/fun to do. They could give you some ideas of what concepts they're supposed to learn at that grade level, and then you can take those same concepts and expand on them on your own.

Once you figure out what you need to teach, then you can plan out how you want to break down each day and each week. Where I live, you don't have to teach all the subjects everyday, so there's flexibility as far as staggering the subjects every other day so they don't get overwhelming. Really, it's a lot of research, but the more you know, the better off you'll be in deciding how you want to proceed.

Also, there's no one right way to homeschool, but I would encourage you to look into the different homeschool philosophies to see where you fit or what you might like to do (ex: Classical, Charlotte Mason, Eclectic, Unschooling, Montessori, etc.). You know yourself and your child the best, so do what's right for your family (as long as you're compliant with your state's laws).

Lastly, try not to stress too much about the schedule. If something's not working, then try something else. That's the great part about this journey--you're not stuck! There's flexibility and adaptability. So you can keep learning and refining until something clicks. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)