Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Fun spelling book?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM
  • 8 Replies

My dd is almost 8. She can write cursive and spell quite well in our native language, Romanian. She can read OK in English but she loves reading and her progress is easy in this department. However she's not too thrilled about writing and her spelling in English is non-existent. Do you know any method that would be fun for a reluctant writer? Her level is quite low (kinder-first grade) but she's easily bored with books geared towards small children.

We love Math U See for math and she grasped concepts easily from there. I looked at Spelling U See (sample lesson) but I'm not sure. I was thinking to print that one out and try to see if she likes it. Has anyone worked with this one or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM
We just started All About Spelling and so far we like it. It has a hands on element to it.
Analugojana
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Quoting redhead-bedhead: We just started All About Spelling and so far we like it. It has a hands on element to it.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:31 PM

We also love All About Spelling. Start with book one, even if it seems too easy. Then you'll have no gaps, and it's hands on like MUS is. 

SamuraiQueen
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:56 PM

All About Spelling has been great for us. It has a hands-on and handwriting approach among others, so it involves more than one or two senses when learning. My dd really enjoys it! :)

Analugojana
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Ok, it seems we have a winner. Thanks, ladies!
Scribbleprints
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Have you tried SpellingCity.com online?  Spelling is a good one for computer games, and that one is free and allows you to put in your own words.  There is also quite a few aps if you have a smart-phone or tablet.  

Analugojana
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:13 AM
No, I haven't. She did some Reading Eggs online but that's about all. Thanks!

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Have you tried SpellingCity.com online?  Spelling is a good one for computer games, and that one is free and allows you to put in your own words.  There is also quite a few aps if you have a smart-phone or tablet.  

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Look into Apples and Pears Spelling as well.  We chose that over All About Spelling and I am really glad we did.  We started with book A even though it was kind of young and we are now ready to start book C (after 1 year).  There are only 4 books/levels and it's more affordable than AAS.  From what I've heard, after the 4 books there is enough mastery to not need to go any further anyway.  My DD has improved sooo much alread.  The books also subtly include grammar so they pick those nuances up as well without needing an additional grammar curriculum.  It has been varied enough to keep my DDs interest and (for a huge complainer) we haven't had much complaining since we started this program. 

http://www.prometheantrust.org/soundfoundationsbooks.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN