Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Day 1--already "behind"

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM
  • 17 Replies

Because she did the wrong stuff!!!  I wrote out her assignments and she dawdled so long I did not get to explain everything to her, but it was written clearly.  Do I make her do the stuff she did not do tonight or tomorrow, plus tomorrow's work?  Or should I just hand her the materials and not worry about lesson plans?  

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Or, should I just let her have a week's stuff and she has until the end of the week to complete it?  Who cares the order?  I'm ashamed to say I just snapped at her and ordered her off her computer game.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM
How old is she first and is this the first time she's been in charge of her assignments like that?
sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:54 PM

She's 13...and has been homeschooling since last spring (no summer break, but we did buy some new materials this month and are starting the school year as of today.  She claims she did not see the assignment sheet, so did what she felt like.   I just got concerned that she's going to get so far ahead that I will have to re-do her assignment schedule in the middle of the week.  we talked about it and she wants the week--and turn everything in by Friday when I get home from work.  Part of it will also be helping her younger siblings with their assignments.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:04 PM
Are you not at home while they are schooling? Why no summer break? Burn out could be responsible, too?

Quoting sweetfox3:

She's 13...and has been homeschooling since last spring (no summer break, but we did buy some new materials this month and are starting the school year as of today.  She claims she did not see the assignment sheet, so did what she felt like.   I just got concerned that she's going to get so far ahead that I will have to re-do her assignment schedule in the middle of the week.  we talked about it and she wants the week--and turn everything in by Friday when I get home from work.  Part of it will also be helping her younger siblings with their assignments.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I give her a list of thing she HAS to do (Math, Science, Literature, and Writiing) and then a list of things that I would like done (Logic, Reading, Japanese, Art, etc.).  If she does't get the things she HAS to do done durning school she stays up until it is done.  If she doesn't get the list of things I'd like her to do, they are added on to the next day.

sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:11 PM

She gets pretty much the same amount of time off--we just do a few weeks at a time spread throughout the year, instead of one big chunk.  We are taking a huge break (3-4 weeks) in September/October for a vacation, then a week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas/New Year, 2-3 weeks late Feb/Early March, 2 weeks around Memorial Day, and 2 weeks in July when her grandparents visit--then we start the new school year right after that.  We take our vacations at off-times so we don't have to deal with the school-kid-vacation crowds.

I work full time, DH is the at-home parent and says he needs to be more involved.  I gave him a way to be involved and told him what needs to be done.  Cue the whining about not having time to teach the kids after getting the two younger kids ready for therapy (ABA for autism) and go over the eldest's work and also having time for his own to-do list.

Quoting mem82: Are you not at home while they are schooling? Why no summer break? Burn out could be responsible, too?
Quoting sweetfox3:

sweetfox3
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

How do you handle her not getting her "like to do" things done by Friday evening (or whenever your "weekend" is--after all, some familes, because the parent works something other than M-F, such as Thursday-Monday, may use the days the parent is off as the "weekend")  Does she have to do it on Saturday before fun...(just let us go to Busch Gardens one day without DD...) or does it get tacked on on Monday?  Do things "pile up" or do you not give her the next assignment until it is completed?

Quoting Silverkitty:

I give her a list of thing she HAS to do (Math, Science, Literature, and Writiing) and then a list of things that I would like done (Logic, Reading, Japanese, Art, etc.).  If she does't get the things she HAS to do done durning school she stays up until it is done.  If she doesn't get the list of things I'd like her to do, they are added on to the next day.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Usually the like to do list are the classes my daughter chose to do this year, Japanese and Art.  I also tried to get the regular schedule done where the last day of the week was a light day and work not done could be caught up.

I didn't answer the other questions, silly me.

If everything isn't done Friday, they do get tacked on to Monday. She does not get the next assignment until the previous one is done. I don't take away trips if school work isn't done, but I do for bad attitude about school work. 

Quoting sweetfox3:

How do you handle her not getting her "like to do" things done by Friday evening (or whenever your "weekend" is--after all, some familes, because the parent works something other than M-F, such as Thursday-Monday, may use the days the parent is off as the "weekend")  Does she have to do it on Saturday before fun...(just let us go to Busch Gardens one day without DD...) or does it get tacked on on Monday?  Do things "pile up" or do you not give her the next assignment until it is completed?

Quoting Silverkitty:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Yikes! Sounds like you have a full plate. Maybe having her have a weekly list is the best way to go,. Maybe add a Wednesday evening check in to see where she is at, and if she's not doing anything?

Quoting sweetfox3:

She gets pretty much the same amount of time off--we just do a few weeks at a time spread throughout the year, instead of one big chunk.  We are taking a huge break (3-4 weeks) in September/October for a vacation, then a week off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks for Christmas/New Year, 2-3 weeks late Feb/Early March, 2 weeks around Memorial Day, and 2 weeks in July when her grandparents visit--then we start the new school year right after that.  We take our vacations at off-times so we don't have to deal with the school-kid-vacation crowds.

I work full time, DH is the at-home parent and says he needs to be more involved.  I gave him a way to be involved and told him what needs to be done.  Cue the whining about not having time to teach the kids after getting the two younger kids ready for therapy (ABA for autism) and go over the eldest's work and also having time for his own to-do list.

Quoting mem82: Are you not at home while they are schooling? Why no summer break? Burn out could be responsible, too?

Quoting sweetfox3:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM

You aren't going to like what I have to say.

She has only been home since last spring, hasn't had a summer break, and you expect her to work almost entirely independently - and help her younger siblings with their work? She's 13. Not going to happen with most kids. I would never throw my 13 year old an assignment list and expect it to be done - she still needs direct instruction.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)