Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm looking for Thanksgiving/Autumn themed books...

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM
  • 5 Replies
for a fourth grade boy. We're looking to build his reading courage. He can probably read above his age level (he reads a ton of non fiction with no issues) but gets hung up on fiction. Lack of pictures, lack of interest in finding out what the story is about, etc are all problems I am trying to conquer. He usually really enjoys books once he finishes them but it's a fight to get him to try. He wants to stop going above a level 3 Lego book. Lol
I'm all for kids choosing what they read, but he isn't really trying at all. I really feel like he needs to actually give fiction a shot before writing it off completely.
Do you have a kid that prefers only fiction or nonfiction?
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Molimomma
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 4:18 PM

My son is only 4 but already has an affection for nonfiction books I do NOT share. He loves the long-winded Construction alphabet book that goes into all sorts of detail. He LOVES sitting and reading the National Geographic Big Books on animals, dinosaurs, ocean animals, space, etc and he wants me to read every bit of information on every page! I've never met a small child so into facts and that remembers them too! I taught Kindergarten and 1st grade too and I would pick a fiction book any day of the week. I'm glad he likes both and that he is interested but they are not my favorite to read.

Scribbleprints
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:42 AM

Yes, my first loves fiction.  My second, who is about your son's age,  really prefers non-fiction.  (Side note here:  I don't homeschool either of these, only starting to homeschool my third, who likes non-fiction and any fiction in the first person, strangely enough.)

But back to my second...he really liked the Magic Treehouse chapter books, which are historical fiction.  Those or other books that mix fiction and non-fiction might be good gateway books to get him more comfortable with fiction.  Thanksgiving on Thursday is a Magic Treehouse book about the first Thanksgiving, since you're looking for fall books.  And when I was looking up that book (couldn't remember the name) I stumbled on a study unit on it:  http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Browse/Search:magic%20tree%20house%20thanksgiving

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM
My youngest hates any kind of book. The kid literally shuts down completely when I suggest a book. Fiction, non fiction, instruction manual, comic book, any paper with words on it. He just hates to read. I wish o could help you.
LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

DS loves both.

Are you looking for picture books or chapter books? Wasn't really sure based on your post.

I know of some picture books. There's one about an ugly pumpkin...who turns out to be a squash. There is also a non-fiction book on pumpkins. (From pumpkin to seed? I think there's another that's popular, but not sure of the title.)

How about historical fiction? Pedro's Journal? It's about a boy on Columbus's ship and done as more of a diary type thing - in very short chunks of text. Might be less intimidating for your child.

Another historical fiction suggestion - Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Not fall specific, but has the different seasons in there though. I did this book with DS in second grade. Get two copies. At points read chapters out loud to him as he follows along in his copy. Maybe have him read every other chapter by himself.

Oh! How about those kind of like choose your own adventure history books.(Interactive History Adventures if you look them up on Amazon.)

Drawing a blank on other fall fiction. Maybe Halloween related if you don't mind that. Goosebumps can be popular.

The Great Turkey Heist - Boxcar Children Mystery

The Boxcar Children Halloween Special (There's a couple of other Halloweenish ones that come up with this on Amazon.)

The Pilgrim Village Mystery - Boxcar Children

Coyote Autumn

I'm sorry. This post is a mess!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM
I understood all of it!

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

DS loves both.

Are you looking for picture books or chapter books? Wasn't really sure based on your post.

I know of some picture books. There's one about an ugly pumpkin...who turns out to be a squash. There is also a non-fiction book on pumpkins. (From pumpkin to seed? I think there's another that's popular, but not sure of the title.)

How about historical fiction? Pedro's Journal? It's about a boy on Columbus's ship and done as more of a diary type thing - in very short chunks of text. Might be less intimidating for your child.

Another historical fiction suggestion - Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Not fall specific, but has the different seasons in there though. I did this book with DS in second grade. Get two copies. At points read chapters out loud to him as he follows along in his copy. Maybe have him read every other chapter by himself.

Oh! How about those kind of like choose your own adventure history books.(Interactive History Adventures if you look them up on Amazon.)

Drawing a blank on other fall fiction. Maybe Halloween related if you don't mind that. Goosebumps can be popular.

The Great Turkey Heist - Boxcar Children Mystery

The Boxcar Children Halloween Special (There's a couple of other Halloweenish ones that come up with this on Amazon.)

The Pilgrim Village Mystery - Boxcar Children

Coyote Autumn

I'm sorry. This post is a mess!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)