Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

adhd

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 20 Replies
My 7-8 year seems to have adhd symptoms. He is the oldest of 4 kids. I could use any and all tips to help us through this coming up school year. So far i will try and be as consistant to a schedule as life will allow, and to give him an as quiet as possible working environment. I am NOT ok using drugs to treat it and he has not been evaluated for adhd, but we did rule out sensory processing disorder.
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 3:31 PM
3 moms liked this

My 5 year old has many of the symptoms as well and we also do not want to use drugs to treat it.  Good luck!!

We found that (contrary to what we thought) he processes better and learns more when his body can be active.  Sitting on an exercise ball while doing lessons that require focus has helped.  We found an old treadle sewing machine base at a yard sale and fitted it with a plain top painted with black-board paint.  He taps his foot to move the pedal while he does his work.  It makes it much easier for him to keep at a lesson for a longer time.

We give him 15 minute breaks throughout the day for some running (around the house) and jumping (on a personal trampoline).

He also has one of those stress balls to keep one hand busy while he reads to me.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 4:51 PM
You might want to invest in an mp3 player that can play white noise or music. Gum chewing can also help.
Precious333
by Julia on Jul. 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Nice! I wish i had a trampoline!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My 5 year old has many of the symptoms as well and we also do not want to use drugs to treat it.  Good luck!!

We found that (contrary to what we thought) he processes better and learns more when his body can be active.  Sitting on an exercise ball while doing lessons that require focus has helped.  We found an old treadle sewing machine base at a yard sale and fitted it with a plain top painted with black-board paint.  He taps his foot to move the pedal while he does his work.  It makes it much easier for him to keep at a lesson for a longer time.

We give him 15 minute breaks throughout the day for some running (around the house) and jumping (on a personal trampoline).

He also has one of those stress balls to keep one hand busy while he reads to me.  

Precious333
by Julia on Jul. 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM
I am going to have to test that out. He is sensitive to sounds.

Quoting mem82: You might want to invest in an mp3 player that can play white noise or music. Gum chewing can also help.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I got my Marcy Cardio Trampoline (with a bar to hold on to) on Amazon for around 60 bucks.  It was seriously worth it.

Quoting Precious333: Nice! I wish i had a trampoline!
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Precious333
by Julia on Jul. 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! I am going to look that up!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I got my Marcy Cardio Trampoline (with a bar to hold on to) on Amazon for around 60 bucks.  It was seriously worth it.

Quoting Precious333: Nice! I wish i had a trampoline!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM
I worked with add/ADHD kids as a public school teacher....I found what helped a lot was short lessons, followed by a break....I also found allowing those kids to verbally answer questions and use physically active ways to answer worked best (writing on the whiteboard, pointing to answers on a page instead of having to write out the answers, etc). Reward charts also worked well in that environment, like 1 sticker for every page done then a prize/TV show/etc.

I don't know if that helps or not since it's a different learning environment, though!
Precious333
by Julia on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Yes! It does! Infact I am finding that while he has been struggling with math that using the white board and verbally answrring has helped! Thank you! :)

Quoting collinsmommy0: I worked with add/ADHD kids as a public school teacher....I found what helped a lot was short lessons, followed by a break....I also found allowing those kids to verbally answer questions and use physically active ways to answer worked best (writing on the whiteboard, pointing to answers on a page instead of having to write out the answers, etc). Reward charts also worked well in that environment, like 1 sticker for every page done then a prize/TV show/etc.

I don't know if that helps or not since it's a different learning environment, though!
nerdmom2twins
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I am and I suspect my son is as well.  We keep lessons short, and if he get's too antsy I let him go run around outside for a bit or jump on the trampoline, and then we get back to lessons.  And when I'm teaching, I often let him have something in his hands to fiddle with that is quiet (play doh, putty, a piece of paper and a crayon).  When his hands are occupied, he focuses better.

We also do trade offs.  If he will give me ____ amount of good focus time on a subject, we can do a subject he really enjoys (particularly science, contstruction, things along those lines.)  He's five years old.
   I've also found that music is a big help.  Some soft classical music in the background has helped him. And I incorporate music every other day in classes, and he always seems to focus a little better on those days. I can attest that music helps.  When I was practicing hours a day and playing in band every day, my ADHD symptoms were very manageable.  After years out of band and after pregnancy, they got out of control. I'm on medication now, but I really don't want him on it unless it is absolutely necessary.  But we are managing it well. 

nerdmom2twins
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:56 PM

We use white boards too...the day I brought them out was the first day he willingly practiced writing his name.  I was SOOO excited.  And they were $1.50 a piece at the discount teacher store which was even better lol.

Quoting Precious333: Yes! It does! Infact I am finding that while he has been struggling with math that using the white board and verbally answrring has helped! Thank you! :)
Quoting collinsmommy0: I worked with add/ADHD kids as a public school teacher....I found what helped a lot was short lessons, followed by a break....I also found allowing those kids to verbally answer questions and use physically active ways to answer worked best (writing on the whiteboard, pointing to answers on a page instead of having to write out the answers, etc). Reward charts also worked well in that environment, like 1 sticker for every page done then a prize/TV show/etc. I don't know if that helps or not since it's a different learning environment, though!

The Kat is back - Katzmeow726!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN