Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Almost finished with first year of homeschool!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM
  • 4 Replies
1 mom liked this

We're almost done!  Already got a few things to start off with for next year, decided to mostly build our own curriculum this time.  We started off with Abeka for 1st and 2nd graders.  Ended up cutting out phonics because neither child responds to that, they sight read a lot better just like I do.  English they finished really quickly, both of them loved that bit.  Math is where we're still getting caught up.  Also put off cursive until later, their previous school let them slide so much on handwriting they could both barely write even with my extra time I put in with them when I could during those couple of years.

We'd probably be done already had September through January been smoother.  We started off okay, got a few weeks done and then took two days off for the kiddos to join us at ComicCon.  Field trip!  That was great and we had so much fun!  Then, we got right back to work on Tuesday (I work late Sunday and Monday so Tues-Fri/Sat for us as needed).  Problem started with hubby needing an ER visit on the day before dd's birthday.  He recovered pretty quickly and we'd already planned to have the kids off for a couple days anyway for birthday things.  So back to work next Tuesday and all good until that Friday.  I started getting sick and after being convinced to go to ER, found out I needed my appendix out early Saturday morning.  Hooray....

All would have been fine after my recovery near the end of September until......I fell on the tile after mopping.  It hurt pretty bad so the kiddos finished up putting the puppies back away from the tub (thank God I'd already drained the water) while we waited for my friend to come and take us to ER.  (Hubby was at work and couldn't get away right away.  He finally got someone to cover about an hour later.)  Turns out I broke my wrist horribly and I went from mid-November to mid-January in a splint and then two casts plus recovery time afterwards until about February. 

All in all I guess we did okay and I was so glad that we'd started homeschooling this year!  They don't run buses to our house so I'd have been having to make arrangements for rides for several months.  Kids have thrived despite the interruptions and both are reading constantly, figuring out the math without too much explanation and loving the history text they're reading! (Forgot to mention that one earlier!)  We've worked in science pretty much everywhere, had lots of crafts and tons of fun!  Once we've finished up the last bits of this year we'll take two weeks off and start again.  This next year will be even better!  After last year that's not a very hard mark to hit!

So how did everyone else do last year?

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I didn't do as well as I wanted to last year. I my dad found out he had cancer December 2, 2013, after that I had to spend more time over at my parents house to help them with housework and to be with my Dad because he refused treatment. Then April 7, 2014 he died, then I needed to help my mom get settled with things after his death. Then it just seemed to fly by since I unschooled Destinay we hardly sat down and did academics. She fell behind where I wanted her to be. I just got things almost done for next year, I hope we don't have too many obstacles this year, or maybe I should lower my expectations. 

TheScaryOne
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss and I completely understand, life happens. A lot. My fil actually passed away unexpectedly March of 2013. Thankfully the kids' school didn't pitch a fit and my employer was very helpful. I hope your next year is easier. This time around we just extended the deadlines.

Quoting Mommynay2:

I didn't do as well as I wanted to last year. I my dad found out he had cancer December 2, 2013, after that I had to spend more time over at my parents house to help them with housework and to be with my Dad because he refused treatment. Then April 7, 2014 he died, then I needed to help my mom get settled with things after his death. Then it just seemed to fly by since I unschooled Destinay we hardly sat down and did academics. She fell behind where I wanted her to be. I just got things almost done for next year, I hope we don't have too many obstacles this year, or maybe I should lower my expectations. 

Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Thank you, my dad and I were really close and it really took a toll on my whole family. I just wish I was able to focus more on academics. On the other hand I'm glad we were able to spend that quality time with my father.

Quoting TheScaryOne: I'm so sorry for your loss and I completely understand, life happens. A lot. My fil actually passed away unexpectedly March of 2013. Thankfully the kids' school didn't pitch a fit and my employer was very helpful. I hope your next year is easier. This time around we just extended the deadlines.

Quoting Mommynay2:

Memere60
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not a homeschooling mom, but I did it for 2 years when my daughter was younger. She is in her thirties now, and became a teacher. Now she is a SAHM with her two young kids.

i just wanted to congratulate you for your dedication to your children, and I am so glad you took care of yourself, too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)