Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool groups

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:10 PM
  • 25 Replies

How do I go about finding homeschool groups that are not religion based? This is our first year homeschooling, and I would like to join a homeschool group locally, but every one that I am finding is a Christian based group. I don't have anything against Christianity, I just don't believe in teaching small children religion because they are so impressionable, they are going to believe what trusted adults tell them and they don't have a chance to form their own beliefs and opinions if they are taught at a very early age. I want my kids beliefs to be their own and not mine or their Dad's. I want her to be able to be around other kids to socialize, but not if it is under those circumstances. 

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amazzonia
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM

google them out, or look up for yahoo groups

aurora.dove
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I've tried that, but the only one I've found so far that is secular is about 2 hours from us :/

Quoting amazzonia:

google them out, or look up for yahoo groups

ripemango
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM

2nd what amazz said, also FB. also, though try to seek out non-denominational groups or other non-christian HSing groups. Groups don't teach, they are just for socializing.

I was a part of secular HSing group and to be frank, you'd be hard pressed to find a HSing group made up exclusively of kids without religion.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:36 PM

You can try secularhomeschool.com and see if they have any groups listed in your area. 

aurora.dove
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I don't mind the just socializing part, I just don't want the social events to be religious based or religious themed events. It may be different with HSing groups, but in my experience dealing with group events or even companies that are "Christian based" while they don't teach religion, they seem to have no problem openly discussing it, requiring prayer time, etc. I don't mind the other kids having religion, or going to church or anything like that, that isn't the issue at all, I'd just rather the religious aspect of it not be incorporated into the socialization. 

We encourage imaginative play, and it's nothing for our kids to pretend to use magic spells, to have pretend sword fights, pretend to be pirates, knights slaying dragons, etc. All things that as a child growing up in church I was told by other church members was Un Godly and that I shouldn't do such things as a good Christian. Outside of them being taught things at such a young age, I don't want them to be rejected for their non religious imaginations. 

Quoting ripemango:

2nd what amazz said, also FB. also, though try to seek out non-denominational groups or other non-christian HSing groups. Groups don't teach, they are just for socializing.

I was a part of secular HSing group and to be frank, you'd be hard pressed to find a HSing group made up exclusively of kids without religion.

aurora.dove
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Thank you!

Quoting kmath:

You can try secularhomeschool.com and see if they have any groups listed in your area. 

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Check Facebook? Or ask the moms in the church groups. Or start your own park play date group on Facebook and let the church groups know.....they likely won't care if there's no religion if the kids have fun
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:30 AM
Put fliers in your local group, start your groups on Facebook, yahoo and meet up. Christian groups can really vary. I know a lot of Christians that read harry potter. Some will approve and some won't. Christians are really all over the place. Also remember that kids become naturally more independent as they get older. I always told my children I will never lie to you but I will not always be right. Question everything you read and see. So far they question me at every turn.
mommaof697
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I am part of a group and everyone in there will tell you they are christian. but our activities are rarely religous based. Our field trips are not and the classes that are taught are not I think 2 classes in the 4 yrs I have been a part of it. and 1 of those classes are for the older class it was on the body. Just saying that maybe you should check out how much they do that is christian.

Quoting aurora.dove:

I don't mind the just socializing part, I just don't want the social events to be religious based or religious themed events. It may be different with HSing groups, but in my experience dealing with group events or even companies that are "Christian based" while they don't teach religion, they seem to have no problem openly discussing it, requiring prayer time, etc. I don't mind the other kids having religion, or going to church or anything like that, that isn't the issue at all, I'd just rather the religious aspect of it not be incorporated into the socialization. 

We encourage imaginative play, and it's nothing for our kids to pretend to use magic spells, to have pretend sword fights, pretend to be pirates, knights slaying dragons, etc. All things that as a child growing up in church I was told by other church members was Un Godly and that I shouldn't do such things as a good Christian. Outside of them being taught things at such a young age, I don't want them to be rejected for their non religious imaginations. 

Quoting ripemango:

DEB, wife to wonderful husband and mom to 6 blessings

aurora.dove
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:39 AM

It isn't so much what they do that is Christian as far as classes and activities go so much is how my Children will be viewed for what they do and don't believe. I was told as a child by Christians that I was going to hell for pretending to cast magic spells because it was of the devil...I don't want my kids subjected to people like that if I can avoid it. The problem with giving it a shot is I have no idea how it will  be until the damage is already done if it is like that. 

Quoting mommaof697:

I am part of a group and everyone in there will tell you they are christian. but our activities are rarely religous based. Our field trips are not and the classes that are taught are not I think 2 classes in the 4 yrs I have been a part of it. and 1 of those classes are for the older class it was on the body. Just saying that maybe you should check out how much they do that is christian.

Quoting aurora.dove:

Quoting ripemango:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)