Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm a new homeschooling mom and could really use some recommendations!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:15 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hi homeschooling moms! :)

My name is Kimberly and this year will be my first year ever homeschooling a child. I have 2 children that have already graduated from public school and have moved on to college, but my youngest daughter has asked to be home schooled this year. After careful consideration and research, her father and I have decided to do what we feel will be best for her and give it a shot. It is all so last minute and doing the research online can be very overwhelming!

If any of you currently have an 8th grader or have taught one I would love to hear some recommendations on curriculum you are using or have used. I would also like to know if anyone suggests letting them do the homeschooling online over actual textbook learning and if so what are the best sites you have found. Thank you so much for your help!!

by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommy2kaelynn
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I don't have an 8th grader, but I wish you luck! Our first year - 2 years ago for Kindergarten, we were thrown into the deep end of the pool - filled with sharks!! We had no intention of homeschooling and when we decided to pull our daughter out of PS it was very quick! 

figuring out a curriculum for her was scary and difficult at first, but now I think we are finding our way. 

I would start with looking at her learning style - once you know that, you can look at curriculum that fits. Also consider if you want a religious based curriculum, or secular. Take advantage of the free online placement tests that many curriculum vendors offer. It can give you a good idea of the way the curriculum works, and if you and she will like it. Be sure to join the Homeschool Buyers Co-op - they offer wonderful discounts and it's free!

We use online curriculum and physical hands on books, worksheets, etc. We also use TV shows, and such. Again, here is where knowing how your child learns best will help. Some kids do great completely online, others love worksheets, still others need a combination. 

Good luck!

MonkeyPeanut79
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:29 PM

I don't have an 8th grader yet but I wanted to point you a couple places. Check out http://cathyduffyreviews.com/ and http://homeschoolreviews.com/ that will give you a start. I also second figuring out learning style. I had no clue about anything when I started and I ended up just getting a complete boxed curriculum from Timberdoodle that ended up being great because they had so many different things to do. But over the past few years I've figured out my son's learning style and that has helped a lot.

Coffeemonster74
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Thank you so much for the replies so far and the advice. Has anyone used or know someone that uses Global School Network online?

DyslexiaParent
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I've homeschooled my kids from elementary through high school.  The most important thing for teaching your DD is to consider how SHE prefers to learn.  Things will go better if she has both had input and has curricula that fits her learning style.  Do you know what her learning style is?  Is she verbal, visual, hands-on, or movement oriented?

There are a wide variety of programs you can use, and we found variety was our most-liked approach.  We used some computer-based curricula, some video-based programs, some traditional books, and lots of hands-on science stuff.  

If your DD is an avid reader, you have virtually any curricula at your disposal!  For audio-visual learning online, there are a lot of great programs and I have several listed at: http://learningabledkids.com/multi_sensory_training/free-multisensory-curriculum-online.htm.  

Regardless of what you choose, WELCOME to homeschooling!! It's a great way to go! We pulled our boys out of public school after five years of dealing with our school.  It was the best decision we ever made. :-D

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:13 AM
My 8th grader will be finishing up America the Beautiful by Notgrass for history, BJU Press for science and math and Learning Language Arts Through Literature.

My kids personally hate computer based learning. It just doesn't suit their learning style, and I'm not a fan of it myself. I like homeschooling for the flexiblilty, and I think online schooling limits that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN