Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am almost done with the preparation.

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am almost done with the process to legally homeschool. I sent out a certified letter of intent with a return receipt so I can make sure they got it. I have a vast array of curriculum all set. I have to sign up for my local homeschooling group. Then just sit and wait to make sure the school superintendent got the letter and start planning for the coming school year. Destinay and I started out the school year, but it is more informal, we're just doing language arts and math for now. I did start her attendance record and we got 7 days done, so far.  I hope everything works out. I told them on the letter of intent that if they needed any more info to write to me, so hopefully I won't hear from them. How is everyone doing with the preparation?

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Sounds like you have everything under control!  Good luck this year!

We started the school year a couple weeks ago.  I feel like we are still not really ready.  LOL!  We are just easing into it right now.  We won't start all subjects until the other kids I take care of go back to school.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:50 PM
We are starting our slow start Monday with review Math and English. Plus, working on getting up, dressed, and morning chores done on time.
I am half way done with planning for our first month or so. Yikes! I also have to send in notice. I plan to catch up this weekend.
bether89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 6:18 PM

We are starting back to school in one more week.  I have started my planning, but I need to really step it up next week to finish all the prep work.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 6:33 PM
Great! We started last month
MamaToHerRoo
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I officially turned in our attendence and report card/progress report for last year on July 31.  Offically our new school year is underway as of August 1.  However...

I am going to put off officially starting until after Labor Day.  We homeschool year round, and have choir camp and homeschool co-op kick-off to go the coming week.  Also, we are trying to finish up a Time4Writing High School Paragraphs course (by Aug 14).  I have curriculum planned and I think I am ready but this is one of those milestone years.  My only child officially begins high school homeschool this year.

I know that it is going to be fine, after all, we have been at this for over 7 years, but I am feeling a bit of the same type of uneasiness that I felt when we started homeschool to begin with.  You know, the "what if I miss teaching something vital/this is new to us/this is different than what we have been doing" jitters.

Anyway, materially...we are ready.  Emotionally, maybe not so much!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I got a good chunk of my planner filled out and ready to go for the school year. I'm still working on literature lesson plans, which hopefully my mother in law will be able to help me with. All paperwork is turned in, and for the most part we are ready for when we come back.
This week however, we're prepping for our big vacation and just trying to survive fair week for 4H... 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I've finished my lesson plans for the year (I schedule by subject blocks, instead of specific days, in case we need to back up, speed up, or take time off - then it doesn't affect my written lesson plans). I've ordered and received almost everything. I only need to order Latin Alive for DD12, and maybe Song School Latin for DS5.

Tonight I need to print out the PDFs for science (Ellen McHenry), and get to hole punching :P

ETA: and I realized that I haven't made my lesson plans for science yet, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Does your state need to approve it? You sound like you are almost "waiting with baited breath."

I file a letter of intent annually, but it is just notice and I do not have to wait on approval. They never have once contacted me in 5 yrs.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:49 PM
As for my own readiness???

I created my two middle school kids their own weekly planner that has a general plan of what needs done every day plus space to write/change it. I had them spiral bound.

I only have to order a student book for one kids' math. Everything else is here.

I made myself a daily checklist to make sure we are moving along. I'm going to have it spiral bound too with my 1st graders daily logs. The olders twos logs are kept in their planners.

I have been organizing my teacher shelves and the kids' pantries. They are almost done.

I have written my own reading curric for my first grader. I have about 16 weeks worth created.

I'm exhausted and need a break be for we start!!!
alf2651
by Amanda on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Sounds like you got everything covered! Good luck on next year!

I'm sending my notice of intent to homeschool off by certified letter with a return receipt tomorrow. I've got my curriculum set up. There are a few things supply wise that I want, but nothing that I necessarily need right now. It's our first year doing this, so I'm excited. DH and DD are too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN