Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

NEW to homeschooling this year!

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM
  • 13 Replies

We decided this year to not go back to school, and instead homeschool.  Our daughter will be starting 2nd grade.  I will also be homeschooling our youngest who will start preschool (4 years old).  I would love any advice.. I am so overwhelmed for the most part with the many different curriculums there are.  We decided on Time4Learning for now while I figure out what works best for her and what I can put together.  We are on a tight budget, so anything that is cheap or free is great.  We will also be supplementing easy peasy all in one homeschool.  I am also looking for groups in my area, so any info on how I can find that.  We are in Chesterfield county in VA. 

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Scribbleprints
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:16 AM

I'm new too, but Starfall.com for reading is a good free resource for your preschooler.  :-)  

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to homeschooling.
A good way to streamline curriculums is to figure out what your child's learning style is and even what your teaching style is along with any other requirements you have.
Don't be discouraged with your first year. You will be trying to find your groove with what works and doesn't work for you.
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Whole brain teaching teaches to all the learning styles, and even improves the health of the brain. 

alf2651
by Amanda on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi! I'm new to homeschooling this year too. I'm actually not too far from you either. I'm on the other side of Charlottesville. 

Virginia Eclectic Homeschoolers is a good group to join on Yahoo Groups, same with VA Homeschoolers and Heav.org (the last two aren't on yahoo groups though). Virginia Eclectic gives you a membership card which will allow you to get teacher discounts places too. Barnes and Noble also gives homeschooling teacher discounts too. Also, for trips and stuff, check out websites on various historical places around. I know Monticello has a homeschool day on Sept. 24 and the State Fair's homeschool day is Sept. 26. The children's museum down there are pretty awesome too.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this
We pulled our oldest at the beginning of the year 5 yrs ago and popped her on time4learning that year. We grew horribly disappointed by it, but it did give me time to figure things out the follow in year for both of my oldest kids. We have been hsing ever since, and have fallen back on time4learning to help a few other times.

(Once during a really bad time in our lives. I keep doing our english, but used time4learning for most everything else.....and another time as supplement to help me with a kindergarten child that had issues.)

So time4learning has helped and isn't super awful. We just have high academic expectations that T4L doesn't meet as a whole curric.

Help my experiences help.
pacnwmom
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Homeschool Buyers Coop. Awesome curriculum options and group buys so you can get good prices. I was not impressed with Time 4 Learning. Much better curriculums out there.
Decemberlov
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

This is also our first year homeschooling. We'll be using Time4Learning as well until I can figure out what works best for us. My daughter has TS, ADD & OCD and the program was highly reccomended for children that have trouble with focus (add/adhd).

I'm pregnant & due in October so I'm hoping it will buy me some time while I'm recovering. Plus well be doing lots of review work. She's going into 6th grade, however she has many gaps in her learning - especially math. She was just being pushed through, in my opinion. I do like that she can access 5th & 7th grade when we sign up for 6th  - as she's pretty advanced with reading and spelling but probably closer to the 5th grade level in math.

mommy2cristian
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm kind of new as well.  I homeschooled through a charter school 2 years ago when my oldest was in 1st grade.  This year I think I'm going to start with K12.com.  I know it's a public school but since we'll be doing all the work at home I don't think that counts.  Plus, in CA I don't think you can get a permit until October and I don't want any problems with the school.

My oldest who I'm taking out does have an IEP for his Generalized Anxiety Disorder and accomodations, including an aide.  That being said I still don't think it's been beneficial and I just don't feel comfortable.  Last year it brought up a lot of issues and residual problems.  My youngest is supposed to start Kindergarten but I'm not sure if I'll send him yet.  I really think that based on my kids' personalities they really would benefit fromo smaller classrooms, which they won't get in public school. We can't afford a Montessori school.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
You might try looking on Pinterest. They have so much stuff for schooling and ideas to help you decide.
countrygirlkat
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I am also new to homeschooling this year so I have no curriculum recomendations but I wanted to wish you luck!  My middle son is in 2nd grade like your DD.  My oldest is 3rd grade and my little one is just 3 so he won't be doing an actual curriculum for pre-k but will join in with us most the time I am sure. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN