Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need encouragement

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM
  • 3 Replies

My oldest is only 5.  We are doing kindergarten this year.  I have been a SAHM for the past 5 years.  Now I'm seriously concidering going back to school.  I'm really nervous about going to college while homeschooling, and balancing all that around my husband's hours (he works second shift and is about to also start as a paid on call fire fighter).  

Please tell me it can be done!  Has anyone else gotten a degree while homeschooling?

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I am going to school, working part time, and homeschooling.  It can be done.  It just takes organization and time management.  You can't slack on your school work or on the kids.  DS thinks it is cool that we are both going to school.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:44 AM

If your kindergartner is your only child, I don't think you should be too concerned. We're rigorous, by most standards, and kindergarten only takes us about 3 hours, tops - and only that much because we use a literature and activity based religion program; you could easily do it in 2 hours daily without that, and still cover math (20 minutes), phonics (20-30 minutes), handwriting (10 minutes), and then rotate history and science literature based using children's literature (20 minutes, rotating).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I can absolutely be done :) 
I have done online school for myself to work on my degree since an actual local college is just not an option since it doesn't offer what I'm working towards. But even if you are going to a local college, it can still get done. You just have to be organized about everything.
This October, my hubby starts school again, I start sometime this winter (haven't finished registering yet...I really need to...) and we'll be homeschooling a 5th grader and a k/1st grader. It will be interesting!! Hubby is overloading his first semester (he wasn't paying attention when he registered for classes) and I probably will be too, only because I'm trying to finish my degree up faster :/  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)