Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting Started

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM
  • 13 Replies

Hi everyone!! I have just recently joined the group because I want to learn more about the process of homeschooling. Through a complicated series of events, it looks like we're most likely going to end up with physical custody of my stepson. We will most likely have him at least until the end of September, so we want to get a homeschool program started with him so that we don't have to enroll him in public schools. 

So, what homeschool cirriculum does everyone use for Pre-K/K? Also, how can I find out homeschool laws for my state (Alabama)? Do I have to formally enroll him through the school district? I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do in order to do this right so that the judge sees that we're doing all we can to make sure he's taken care of as far as his education. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much in advance! 

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah_beth
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I can't help you much with what to use for a 4-5 year old, but I can give you this link about the legal stuff. 

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/AL/

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not privy to homeschool law in Alabama, but I think I've heard that it's pretty easy.

For pre-k I had a list of goals:

Mastery of shapes and colors

Verbal mastery of numbers 1-20

Visual mastery of numbers 1-10

Verbal and visual mastery of all letters.

Mastery of all letter sounds - consonants and short vowels.

Understands the concept of addition and subtraction.

Pre-writing skills (tracing, etc)

My son very easily mastered those, and moved into kindergarten skills in math and phonics (but not in handwriting) by age 4.5. I loosely used What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know, Leapfrog Letter Factory, flash cards, teddy bear counters, and a white board (and some other things, but that's about it).

For kindergarten we are using a more formal program:

Phonics: PAL Reading

Additional Readers: Little Angel Readers, Bob Books

Writing: PAL Writing (second semester)

Handwriting: Abeka Cursive K

Literature and Religion: Catholic Mosaic

History and Science are literature based

Memory Work: Memoria Press Jr K Recitation, with Catholic prayer memorization supplement (using Seton's Kindergarten Catechism)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kelaine1981
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM
That helps A LOT! Great thing is, we're Catholic, so those resources will fit right in with our Sunday CDC classes :-)
Thanks!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not privy to homeschool law in Alabama, but I think I've heard that it's pretty easy.

My son very easily mastered those, and moved into kindergarten skills in math and phonics (but not in handwriting) by age 4.5. I loosely used What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know, Leapfrog Letter Factory, flash cards, teddy bear counters, and a white board (and some other things, but that's about it).

Memory Work: Memoria Press Jr K Recitation, with Catholic prayer memorization supplement (using Seton's Kindergarten Catechism)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're Catholic and interested in going with a boxed program at any time in the future, just let me know - there are some really wonderful full programs, which are thoroughly Catholic, that you may enjoy. To give you something to look at (because I have a curriculum addiction): Seton, Catholic Heritage Curriculum, Kolbe, Our Lady of Victory, St Thomas Aquinas... have fun, lol! We can't use any all-in-one programs because none of our children are synched across the board (DS5 is working above grade level in math and phonics, but not in handwriting; DD12 is dyslexic).

Quoting kelaine1981: That helps A LOT! Great thing is, we're Catholic, so those resources will fit right in with our Sunday CDC classes :-) Thanks!
Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Check out HSLDA or google Alabama state homeschool laws. 
Check to see if you even need to report because of age...Some states you don't have to til the school year in which they turn 7...so you may be lucky and not have to report at all...

As far as curriculum, you could still do a lot of play and activities vs actual school work at that age. If you're really looking for curriculum though:

We used with my little guy last year who was "finishing preschool" starting K (we were very relaxed, this year is a bit more rigorous since it's technically his K year)

Math U See Primer/Alpha
Science: Last year we didn't do any, but Elemental Science (which we're using this year) actually has K stuff
Handwriting: Handwriting Wihtout Tears
Writing: Write Shop Primary A
History: (we're actually doing this this year) See Time Fly Series by Gander Publishing
Reading: All About Reading either Pre Level or Level 1, depending where he's at.
Spelling: All About Spelling Level 1 

What I use is general secular/non-religious-sided.

Starfall.com has a bunch of free stuff for reading too 

kelaine1981
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Thanks so much for that information! I'm thinking a Catholic based curriculum will be great! I'll look into those! I appreciate your help!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

If you're Catholic and interested in going with a boxed program at any time in the future, just let me know - there are some really wonderful full programs, which are thoroughly Catholic, that you may enjoy. To give you something to look at (because I have a curriculum addiction): Seton, Catholic Heritage Curriculum, Kolbe, Our Lady of Victory, St Thomas Aquinas... have fun, lol! We can't use any all-in-one programs because none of our children are synched across the board (DS5 is working above grade level in math and phonics, but not in handwriting; DD12 is dyslexic).

Quoting kelaine1981: That helps A LOT! Great thing is, we're Catholic, so those resources will fit right in with our Sunday CDC classes :-)
Thanks!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

kelaine1981
by New Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM
I've tried finding the laws & I'm not understanding what its saying. I looked at HSLDA and couldn't find what I needed....its confusing!

Thanks for the info on curriculum- that helps. I had forgotten about starfall...his teacher from the fall of last year used that- Thanks!

Quoting No_Difference:

Check out HSLDA or google Alabama state homeschool laws. Check to see if you even need to report because of age...Some states you don't have to til the school year in which they turn 7...so you may be lucky and not have to report at all...As far as curriculum, you could still do a lot of play and activities vs actual school work at that age. If you're really looking for curriculum though:

We used with my little guy last year who was "finishing preschool" starting K (we were very relaxed, this year is a bit more rigorous since it's technically his K year)

Math U See Primer/Alpha Science: Last year we didn't do any, but Elemental Science (which we're using this year) actually has K stuffHandwriting: Handwriting Wihtout TearsWriting: Write Shop Primary AHistory: (we're actually doing this this year) See Time Fly Series by Gander PublishingReading: All About Reading either Pre Level or Level 1, depending where he's at.Spelling: All About Spelling Level 1 What I use is general secular/non-religious-sided.Starfall.com has a bunch of free stuff for reading too 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

This seems to be the most straight forward one I could find... but I don't live in Alabama so I'm not sure how it all works: http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/alabama.pdf

If I'm understanding it right, it looks like you register as a private school or church school, comply to the bullets beneath either or, OR you could choose to have a registered teacher be a private tutor... For private school, you'd have to register each child you're homeschooling by October 10th. I don't think you'd have to worry about bullet b...You'd have to take attendance, and have proof of immunizations, and follow a physical education program.  for a church school, I guess you only have to file once instead of annually if I read that right...and you only have to keep attendance, but you'd have to "opperate as a ministry of a local church, group of churches, demonitation, and/or assocation of churches which do not recieve federal funding.   

Quoting kelaine1981: I've tried finding the laws & I'm not understanding what its saying. I looked at HSLDA and couldn't find what I needed....its confusing! Thanks for the info on curriculum- that helps. I had forgotten about starfall...his teacher from the fall of last year used that- Thanks!
Quoting No_Difference:

Check out HSLDA or google Alabama state homeschool laws. Check to see if you even need to report because of age...Some states you don't have to til the school year in which they turn 7...so you may be lucky and not have to report at all...As far as curriculum, you could still do a lot of play and activities vs actual school work at that age. If you're really looking for curriculum though:

Math U See Primer/Alpha Science: Last year we didn't do any, but Elemental Science (which we're using this year) actually has K stuffHandwriting: Handwriting Wihtout TearsWriting: Write Shop Primary AHistory: (we're actually doing this this year) See Time Fly Series by Gander PublishingReading: All About Reading either Pre Level or Level 1, depending where he's at.Spelling: All About Spelling Level 1 What I use is general secular/non-religious-sided.Starfall.com has a bunch of free stuff for reading too 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
FallMama
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you tried reaching out to any local homeschool groups/co-ops in your area?  Those experienced with your state's laws can be your best allies in trying to understand what you need to do.  

As for your curriculum, it looks like a lot of the ladies on here have definitely given you some great choices that fit you well.  For my pre-K kiddo we do a lot of activities on our chalkboard.  She is 4, and right now we are working on counting to 40 by ones, ID'ing numbers up to 20, and simple addition (up to 10).  I like to review things that she already knows while incorporating new material.  For example, when we do addition, I will draw shapes on the chalkboard and have her ID the shapes (review) and then add the 2 groups together to give me the total.

As for her letters, I made flash cards so that she can review what each letter looks like, upper and lowercase.  I also use the flash cards to have her review her letter sounds.  Then we put the cards together to form simple words for her to sound out and eventually read (dog, cat, hot, pop, mom, dad, etc.).  

She also listens in when I read to her older sister about history, and she likes to look on the globe and learn about different places that she points out.  We've been working on mixing colors to make new ones, and we had some fun with that by mixing colors in baking soda and then adding vinegar to make it foam and create a new color.  I combined this with a lesson on Pompeii for my older daughter, so both got a lot of learning there.  In addition to all of this, we have a large garden that both kids have been involved with from the beginning (we started from seed), so that has been a long-term science lesson.

kelaine1981
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:29 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN