Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Citizenship lessons

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM
  • 5 Replies

What can I do to teach a pre k, 5th, and 6th grader about citizenship? Any good websites out there? I have looked all over for something. Please help!

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
katyq
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 1:49 AM

My son is preK. We have learned about recycling, volunteer at the humane society, he has met police officers and firefigters. We talking about helping people and sharing. We talk about waiting turns and waiting in line, contributing in the family by cleaning up our messes and offering to help others clean up theirs. We have talked about how it feels good to do good things. As for older kids...i have no idea :p

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
That's pretty much one of those things you teach through real life stuff. Community helpers, volunteer work, character training, sportsmanship,accompanying you to the voting booth, things like that. No curriculum can compare to actually being shown good citizenship.
I honestly don't know of any sites or products that teach that.
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM

The curriculum we use has a Community helpers book for k and 1st grade.  They briefly go over it again in 2nd grade.  We haven't really gone past this point with our curriculum.....but the lessons up to this point are good about that.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:58 AM
I couldn't agree more! Nothing beats real life in action to learn from.

Quoting Leissaintexas: That's pretty much one of those things you teach through real life stuff. Community helpers, volunteer work, character training, sportsmanship,accompanying you to the voting booth, things like that. No curriculum can compare to actually being shown good citizenship.
I honestly don't know of any sites or products that teach that.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:47 AM

We are starting out in social studies (1st grade) learning about the United States, communities, etc to lay a foundation. In the middle of 1st grade we will move to Texas and I will begin looking into volunteer opportunities. We also talk a lot about helping people and compassion and kindness and, of course, we try to live those things too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN